1950 Paint Chips

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone have a paint chip sheet or something with "Revue Red" offered on the 1950 Hudson's? I have one sheet that lists the color but says the chip is not available. This is the original color on my coupe and was hoping to get/make some sample to see what it looks like and possible repaint the car the same color. I have searched all over the web and can't seem to find anything.

Jay

Comments

• I've got an Acme colour chip chart. I'll see if the RedHead can scan it for me. It looks to be a deep maroon/burgundy. Even gives lacquer mix instructions...
  • Thanks Jase, the original color is still on the firewall but is pretty faded. The firewall doesn't look that dark, but who knows, its not a bright red either.

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hi Jay

Scans from or paint chips that are on 55+ year old paper is not going to give you a good idea of what the color looks like.

What you really need is to find an auto paint store that can find you the correct mix for the year/color code and then go ahead and have them mix you a pint of paint.

It should be a red metallic from what I can tell from my pages.

• try this website.....

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1950-hudson-pg01.jpg

this should get you pretty close to an idea.
  • hudsonkid wrote:
    try this website.....

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1950-hudson-pg01.jpg

this should get you pretty close to an idea.

Thanks hudsonkid, I found that site earlier, but it doesn't have the red I'm looking for. I posted some pics under the classic car-hudson photo gallery on this site and one shows the sales order form where the original buyer paid $23.71 extra for the "revue red" paint. Kind of interesting.

Jay
  • jsrail wrote:
    Thanks hudsonkid, I found that site earlier, but it doesn't have the red I'm looking for. I posted some pics under the classic car-hudson photo gallery on this site and one shows the sales order form where the original buyer paid $23.71 extra for the "revue red" paint. Kind of interesting.

Jay

Not sure why in this case they would be charged an extra $23.71 for a particular color but I know that modern car dealers will often try to charge a customer more if it is a popular color (like red or Black) since they have to "Find" one. Niels
  • rambos_ride
    nhp1127 wrote:
    Not sure why in this case they would be charged an extra $23.71 for a particular color but I know that modern car dealers will often try to charge a customer more if it is a popular color (like red or Black) since they have to "Find" one. Niels

Red colors are among the emost expensive automotive paints to buy (before House of Color) and this was also a metallic color (Revue Red Poly) - but more likely just because of the toners used in this particular shade of red.
  • I looked closely at the 1951 chart and found revue red at the listed at the bottom of the page without a chip, but to reference the 1949 chart at http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1949-hudson-pg01.jpg

The code listed on the 1949 page is the same DAL-50173 but it is called radiant red poly instead of revue red poly.

I hope this helps.

Matt
  • rambos_ride
    royer wrote:
    I looked closely at the 1951 chart and found revue red at the listed at the bottom of the page without a chip, but to reference the 1949 chart at http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1949-hudson-pg01.jpg

The code listed on the 1949 page is the same DAL-50173 but it is called radiant red poly instead of revue red poly.

I hope this helps.

Matt

Hi Jay

If you take that DAL number (Ditzler Acrylic Lacquer) to a PPG auto paint supplier they may have a chip or again could mix you a pint of paint in lacquer which is very easy to spray and doesn't require hardner - so you could test spray something to really get an idea - if you want the color to pop clear coat it.

Dan
This discussion has been closed.