Chopped Top "Old School" 1953 Coupe

Browniepetersen
Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I am posting this for Glen Johnson. He did not have his camera today and he is looking for a hubcap for his "new ride." Glen has always been a custom guy and he first found this car in California years ago. It did not become available until last summer. He has been doing a few things to it (new dash, some chrome work, new tail light and new rear fender openings. Other items that drew this car to Glen were the chopped top, rounded hood, custom "Pontiac" grill and frenched tail lights. I almost forgot the 454 under the hood and side pipes. This is how the car will look at the National in Spokane--and then comes the new paint and interior.

Credit for the new tin work is John Cottrell of Brigham City. Take a few guesses at what was used to make up the custom dash and you will be able to see why we think John is the best "tin bender" around.

Glen needs two hubcaps, a source for replacement or four caps that would work.... He will be on the forum later tonight to see the photos and I am sure will give out his contact information. If you want to contact me you can reach me at browniepetersen@readytek.net

Comments

• mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Oh man, that is fine looking!
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Nice looking car. The dash, 1956 Dodge.
  • Browniepetersen
    Bent metal,

You are good. But, then I expected nothing less from you. The dash was built from parts from the 53 Hudson dash and the 56 Dodge. It was a cut, paste and weld project. These are the kinds of things that make a "Modified" car fun to build....
  • Very nice! Love the grille, headlight brows (I want them!), and lake pipes!

Jay
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    That car is so clean and crisp, sure have a party in the boot, its looking so striaght in black, at great effort, take my hat off to you

Mike
  • Browniepetersen
    In my world you paint a car "Resale Red" or "Keeper Green." The car has a dark green paint on it today. Glen plans to change the car to a "1954 Hudson Blue" for you old baseball fans it will be much like the old dodger blue from the 50's. I like the green because it is as close to black as you can get, but still looks great in the park and on photo's. The car does need new paint so Glen is planning to take it down to bare metal in mid-September.... This is one of the cars that makes Mercury's hide from car shows. Glen took a "Best Custom" award last Saturday at the local car show.....
  • Any chance we can get some pics of the BBC squeezed in this? I'd like to see the engine compartment.
  • HI!!!!

Congratulations!!! You have a nice car to look!!

Bye!
  • lsfirth
    lsfirth Expert Adviser
    Awesome......I can't wait to see it in Spokane!!! I'm sure there'll be people climbing all over this thing :)

Has the back of this been extended a little like Chaz is doing?? It's hard to tell from the pictures and with the rear quarters welded in. Damn fine!
  • No, the back has not been extended.
  • I believe those "Shannon caps" hubcaps are available through Mooneyes.
  • I ordered a pair of hubcaps from Coker. They are on my Hudson and look great.
This discussion has been closed.