Stepdown Steering Wheel Removal

Richard E.
Richard E. Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone have any tips on how to remove a stepdown steering wheel? I am putting a rebuilt steering gear into my 1950 Commodore 6 sedan and the steering wheel is really stuck. The damn thing is almost entirely plastic and mine happens to be in exceptionally good condition so I am trying to remove it without damaging it. Thank you

Comments

• russmaas
    russmaas Senior Contributor
    Need to make or buy a small puller ( like a harmonic balancer puller). First loosen up the center nut and turn it a few threads off. Then put to bolts into the 5/16 holes and put the center of the puller on the loose center nut and crank down. If it sticks, take a rubber malett and give it some gentle hits on the backside of the sterring wheel. Always works for me
  • Get a regular wheel puller, One that has a bolt on each side of the steering shaft, and a center bolt that presses against the shaft. Put penetrating oil on the shaft to loosen any rust before trying to pull the wheel. DO NOT use one of those things with the arms that reach around the outside of the center hub or you will be looking for a new wheel. At least that's how it worked on my 54 coupe.

Bob
  • Richard E. wrote:
    Does anyone have any tips on how to remove a stepdown steering wheel? I am putting a rebuilt steering gear into my 1950 Commodore 6 sedan and the steering wheel is really stuck. The damn thing is almost entirely plastic and mine happens to be in exceptionally good condition so I am trying to remove it without damaging it. Thank you
    Richard:

Hudson steering wheel removal is difficult at the least. :mad:

There were several wheel types and as many different removal techniques. If you have a wheel whose center is without predrilled and tapped puller holes it requires a special Kent Moore produced wheel pulling tool. Some club members own these tools, and you would do best to borrow one. I tried to find a picture of the puller on the net, but have failed to do so. This puller does not have pulling bolts it actually pushes the wheel off from the back the puller is cast iron and uses the center of the steering shaft to push the wheel off.

:) If someone in the group knows where the last thread posted pictures ... pass it on to Richard.

Search here on the forum for Steering wheel removal... some tips from other HETers will appear....
    Good Luck
  • Richard E.
    Richard E. Senior Contributor
    Thank you. My steering wheel does have 3 holes around the center shaft, I will try what has been suggested.
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    R.E. - I've got an original factory puller, want me to bring it to Laughlin?
This discussion has been closed.