Making progress - Chopped 49 Brougham update.

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I've been working on bodywork all winter. Just got it into primer this past weekend.

Next up, PAINT! It's going to be 53 Buick Titan Red. I tell you what, it was a HUGE amount of work to get this thing straight.

Here's a quick list of what I've done with the car:

Top chopped 2 inches.

Nosed, Decked, Shaved.

Custom grille opening.

Smoothed fenders and front clip.

Narrowed peaked and sectioned 54 Olds grill

52 Ford fender flares in front

VW Bus flares in rear

Custom rockers and door bottoms

53 Olds dash

1 piece rear bumper , sectioned the ends and filled the mounting holes

filled front bumper.

Here's what I started with:

P1010011.jpg

Here's how it looked last summer in sealer:

P1040682.jpg

And this past weekend:

BP201039.jpg

100_3814.jpg

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    That is nice!
  • Nice job. Keep up the great work.

Ron
  • lsfirth
    lsfirth Expert Adviser
    Fantastic fantastic fantastic!!!!! It's really coming together nicely....love the chop, fender flares, grill and the low stance!!

Are you bringing it to Spokane??

I think I recognize the recent picture location...looks like you were at billetproof again. I'm pissed that I missed it this year....although I actually made it to the cruise saturday night....fun stuff!

Keep up the great work!!
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Yeah, I missed it too- and I live right there! Always "too much to do"- now that I find that you were there, wish I'd have made some time to at least stop in. I did cruise Centralia a couple of times in the afternoon on Saturday, saw a lot of cars and a lot of folks.

The Hud is looking good- I like the wheelwell flares, as well. She'll look good in "Hello Officer Red."

Would be cool to coordinate on Billetproof next year, and park side by side- both cars about the same height, but one sectioned and one chopped and lowered.

Hope to see you next year.- Mike
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Hey,Nice Merc! My uncle had one just like that except his was a 1965 and

green.:rolleyes: JK...:p I've watched your build here and on the Hamb and

it already has me on the verge of violating at least two of the seven deadly

sins. Not sure that I'll be able to resist once its shiny. Congrats on getting it to

this point,I especially dig the work on the wheel lips. Outstanding.
  • Thanks everyone. I thought it looked pretty good in black, and the goal was to get it in final paint by this summer, but I didn't make it.

I've put a TON of work into making this thing straight. A few more long evenings sanding and she'll be ready for paint. The primer with guidecoat really hides a lot of the body lines, and makes it look kind of like a battleship. ha ha.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Super nice. Very well thought out chop too.

Keep the updates coming. :)
  • Very nice, you should be proud and satisfied with the work and look.

Sonny
  • GrimGreaser
    Looking good!
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Judging from the photos, it looks as if the lower rocker panel is welded to the fenders both front and back. Could you give some information about this?
    Peace,
    Chaz
  • hoggyrubber
    hoggyrubber Expert Adviser
    i gotta say it too. sweeeeeeet!
  • Judging from the photos, it looks as if the lower rocker panel is welded to the fenders both front and back. Could you give some information about this?
    Peace,
    Chaz

Chaz - I made new rocker panels for the car out of sheet metal on a large brake. They are indeed welder to the fenders. I also had to make new door bottoms as well.
    All the fender seams are welded and smoothed on the car,

Thanks.
  • Well. I thought I might post an update of sorts on this thread.

I decided over the winter to re-do the front end of the car. Once I made the grille opening, I wasn't happy with the "flat spot" under the stock headlights.

I've always admired the Wally Welch Merc, and the Buster Litton Ford with their "swoopy" headlights, and decided to cut into mine.

I frenched the headlights, pulled the headlights forward 2 inches by extending the fender, and then fabbed up new lower fenders.

I've been working like mad to get this thing in paint by the end of the month. I'm getting close, in the process of final wet sanding now.

It will get painted 53 Buick Titian Red.

P1190904.jpg
    P1190901.jpg
    P1210064.jpg
    P1210065.jpg
    P1210075.jpg
    P1210271.jpg
    P1040468.jpg
    P1040488.jpg
    P1040489.jpg
    P1040491.jpg
    P1040493.jpg
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Nice work, Keith. I like the way it turned out.

And a pink Lincoln in the background- about a '59 or so? Is that the next project? I always liked those- kind of like a '59 Caddy, absolutely outrageous excess.
  • GrimGreaser
    That looks awesome!
  • Thanks guys. It's been a ton of work.

Mike - That's my wife's 58 Linc. It runs and all, just needs a little brake work. We'll get to it after the Hudson is painted. Then on to the 61 Olds, the 39 Zephyr, the 38 Zephyr, the shovelhead....etc. ha!
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    this is going to be a cool ride, a lot of nice work
    will look great in red
    have fun spraying it
    Mike
  • lsfirth
    lsfirth Expert Adviser
    Wow....definitely a cool look. Nice work!!

Will I be able to see it this year at BilletProof??

Unfortunately, I haven't made any progress on mine lately.

Keep up the excellent work!!!

Lee
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    edited June 2011
    You've done a great job on this car - it's going to be a beauty. The only thing I have against it is that it screams "MERC"!!!! I'm sorry, but to me it looks like a 49, 50 Merc. At least in the front. I think it was the redo on the headlights.

Mind you I'm not trying to be critical about your work - that's without doubt excellent. It's just what it looks like to me. I hope you have a thick skin, because I know that when you take it out to shows people (the great unwashed) are going to compliment you on your Merc. I had a good friend in Massachusetts who had a Hudson Jet - people all the time were asking him if it was an English Ford!!!!:S Jim was, to say the least, not amused.

Anyway, enjoy it, have fun and pat yourself on the back.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Here we go guys.

The car was ready for paint as of Thursday night. I had a company event Friday, so even though I had planned on heading the car down to the booth and getting it masked up, it didn't happen until Saturday.

I had a hard time sleeping Friday night. Something I ate didn't agree with me and I was up all night puking and shitting myself. Saturday morning, I woke at 5:30 to rain. Heavy rain.

My friend Sam came over to my place at 8:30, and we loaded everything up and headed on down to the booth.

We spent all morning drying the car and masking it up.

P1000119.jpg
    P1000120.jpg
    P1000121.jpg
    P1000124.jpg
    P1000126.jpg

First, Sam laid down some dp90 sealer....
    P1000127.jpg

Then, he mixed up the paint...
    P1000128.jpg

and started spraying. The first couple coats of base looked really copper:
    P1000130.jpg
    P1000131.jpg
    P1000132.jpg

But as the coats laid down, and the clear went on, it looked better and better:
    P1000138.jpg
    P1000139.jpg
    P1000140.jpg

We left at about 6:00 last night and let it cure overnight.

I went down today and met sam and rich at the shop and unmasked the car and drove it home.

The color is amazing. The shine is unreal, and I can't believe how straight the car is. I couldnt be happier! 2000 grit wet sanding and some buffing is the only thing left to do before assembly.

P1000145.jpg
    P1000146.jpg
    P1000147.jpg
    P1000149.jpg
    P1000150.jpg
    P1000151.jpg
    P1000152.jpg
  • schillaz
    schillaz Expert Adviser
    wow that really turned out nice. thanks for the pix.
  • lsfirth
    lsfirth Expert Adviser
    DANG....LOOKS AMAZING!!! Way to Nut-it-out after being sick all night!! At first I thought no way will it be ready for Billetproof, but after seeing the last few pictures.....I think you're ready!!!

congrats!!!

Lee
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Simply Superb,and I love the color or should I say "colors" The shade seems to change
    depending on the lighting and now you won't be able to take a pic without the
    reflections of whatever is nearby...Congrats,its been a long time coming.
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    very nice, love the color you have chosen
    this is going to turn more then a few heads
    superb

Mike
  • Thanks for all the kind words fellas. I cant wait to get the thing buffed and assembled so I can hit the road!
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Looks fantastic!!:)
  • Very nice work and great paint job. I have some idea what you went through to get to this point.Also know it isn't over yet.
    Sonny
  • onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    That is one very cool ride!

John
This discussion has been closed.