Still looking for a new reproduction set of aluminum door sill plates for 1948 sedan

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Last time I checked, no one had any repro aluminim door sill plates left for a 48 Commodore sedan. Does anyone have a set or got a lead on a set? I've got my originals but I'd like to spruce up the car. Thx. Niels

Comments

• dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    Ken (Rod) Hudson from Florida sells them. He has ad in WTN classifieds.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    You tried Rod Hudson at Xkrodhudson@att.net (delete X before sending) ??? These, and other Hudson reproduced items, are shown on my Repro webpage at http://mysite.verizon.net/detailed1/Repro%20Table.htm
  • LanceB
    LanceB Senior Contributor
    The price for the door sills that I was quoted for my '46 pickup was $250/pair, a little pricy for me right now so I'll keep looking or find something else to use.
  • Yes, me, too, please. While we have not yet started the interior, we are getting our suppliers in line and making plans.

Russell
  • dave s
    dave s Senior Contributor, Moderator
    dave s wrote:
    If you just want something that will do job on pickup, look at items available on e-bay under door sills. You can find something in diamond back or plain that can be cut down and made to fit at reasonable price. No Hudson logo, but they will do job. ;)

store view contact them and they will make whatever size you want.
  • Jon B wrote:
    You tried Rod Hudson at Xkrodhudson@att.net (delete X before sending) ??? These, and other Hudson reproduced items, are shown on my Repro webpage at http://mysite.verizon.net/detailed1/Repro%20Table.htm

Last time I checked was about six months ago and he was out. I e-mailed him a couple days ago and haven't heard baclk so I'll try calling him tomorrow. My original set is OK but not as nice as the car itself. I'll let everyone know as sood as I make contact with him. Niels
  • They, like most other repro door sills are made by "Door Sills", in New Jersey. They dont like having their address or phone posted on the net, so if you want it, email me and I will give it to you. They have a booth at Hershey each year and between that and the club orders, they get enough business to keep them going. They might have the sills in stock, I know they did when I bought them for my 49 conv.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    They, like most other repro door sills are made by "Door Sills", in New Jersey. They dont like having their address or phone posted on the net, so if you want it, email me and I will give it to you. They have a booth at Hershey each year and between that and the club orders, they get enough business to keep them going. They might have the sills in stock, I know they did when I bought them for my 49 conv.

Hi Dennis - please take no offense here - but I am just dragging myself off the floor from uncontrollably LOL - so hard I spit milk from my nose and darn near pee'd myself!

Business is so good they can turn it away? That's some work I need to find! :eek:
  • Easy Rambo, I do not think I said that...... But just to clarify, their main business is aircraft instumentation, and their side business, which has taken on a life of it's own, is the Sill business. He makes hundreds of varieties for various years, makes and models. I have purchased six sets of sills from them for different cars and they are all flawless. I was talking with someone there a while back and mentioned that I could not find my catalog, so I did a google search and could not find them, and looked in Hemmings and could not find them. She said they dont want to be on the internet, and were upset that someone else had posted their info there. I can only assume it is because of privacy issues with the the telephone number, but I am not sure. Bottom line is they dont have to do this for the hobby, as the aircraft instrumentation is where the money is. It takes him hour/days/weeks to get the patterns right for the sills and in many cases they never get their money back out of them. He has clubs and restoration shops all over the worth after him to create new ones he has not done and the demand is greater than his time. Sooooo, thats the story........ Now clean your milk up and change your underwear.
  • rambos_ride
    Sorry Dennis I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I didn't stop to think they might be running a part time/hobbiest business and was more or less kidding around as well - maybe it didn't come off like that...

Do they make full reproductions of the originals with the Hudson name on them or are they a more generic style that someone else mentioned about another possible source for new ones?

Dan
  • Easy Rambo, I do not think I said that...... But just to clarify, their main business is aircraft instumentation, and their side business, which has taken on a life of it's own, is the Sill business. He makes hundreds of varieties for various years, makes and models. I have purchased six sets of sills from them for different cars and they are all flawless. I was talking with someone there a while back and mentioned that I could not find my catalog, so I did a google search and could not find them, and looked in Hemmings and could not find them. She said they dont want to be on the internet, and were upset that someone else had posted their info there. I can only assume it is because of privacy issues with the the telephone number, but I am not sure. Bottom line is they dont have to do this for the hobby, as the aircraft instrumentation is where the money is. It takes him hour/days/weeks to get the patterns right for the sills and in many cases they never get their money back out of them. He has clubs and restoration shops all over the worth after him to create new ones he has not done and the demand is greater than his time. Sooooo, thats the story........ Now clean your milk up and change your underwear.

Well, I've contacted them and there is a 9 month lead time (possibly as little as 6 months). Makes me wonder if they would be interested in selling off that part of their business? :confused:

Russell
  • Sorry Dennis I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I didn't stop to think they might be running a part time/hobbiest business and was more or less kidding around as well - maybe it didn't come off like that...

Do they make full reproductions of the originals with the Hudson name on them or are they a more generic style that someone else mentioned about another possible source for new ones?

Dan

It is my understanding that they are full reproductions of the originals, fully polished, according to the nice lady I talked to on the phone.

Russell
  • RL Chilton wrote:
    It is my understanding that they are full reproductions of the originals, fully polished, according to the nice lady I talked to on the phone.

Russell

I've seen the reproductions. They're as nice as they can be. You won't be disappointed. Niels
  • LanceB
    Russell,

If I could ask, what is the approx price you were quoted for your sills?

Thanks,

Lance
  • LanceB wrote:
    Russell,

If I could ask, what is the approx price you were quoted for your sills?

Thanks,

Lance

Lance-

$275.00/set, $20.00 shipping fee. Requires a $50 deposit and balance due when sills are completed.

Russell
  • rambos_ride
    RL Chilton wrote:
    Lance-

$275.00/set, $20.00 shipping fee. Requires a $50 deposit and balance due when sills are completed.

Russell

That 2dr or 4dr pricing?

• TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    My 49 C8 came with a set of repops that I haven't installed yet. While they look great

they are slightly different from the originals in the fact that the triangle pattern is

silkscreened?? on the repops wereas the originals are stamped in relief. Not that it makes

a huge difference just FYI. Also I have no idea were the repops came from so I just

taking for granted that these are from the company you speak of. I'll post some pics

if your interested... Jeff
  • The ones that I have seen are stamped as they should be not silkscreened.
  • please post some pix's. davidh
  • That 2dr or 4dr pricing?

Dan-

That was 4D pricing.

Russell
  • TwinH wrote:
    My 49 C8 came with a set of repops that I haven't installed yet. While they look great

they are slightly different from the originals in the fact that the triangle pattern is

silkscreened?? on the repops wereas the originals are stamped in relief. Not that it makes

a huge difference just FYI. Also I have no idea were the repops came from so I just

taking for granted that these are from the company you speak of. I'll post some pics

if your interested... Jeff

That would be great, although I wonder if the photo would actually show the lack of relief. But post them if you can, I'd like to see them.

Russell
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Your right,pics don't show lack of relief. Not sure how to focus that

close up. Anyway here's some not so great pics. These look better in person.PICT0558.jpg [IMG][/img]PICT0561.jpg [IMG][/img]PICT0560.jpg [IMG][/img]PICT0559.jpg
  • LanceB
    Dennis,

What is the name of the person reproducing the sills. I would like to contact them.

Thanks,

Lance

HETtcallsoftball2004@yahoo.com (remove HET)
  • I just got a call from Rod Hudson in FL. He says he is finally getting in some sills in the next couple of weeks. His address is: K.R. Hudson

8149 SE 69 Terrace,

Trenton, FL 32693

Niels
  • rockin tom
    rockin tom Senior Contributor
    GREAT STUFF!!! :cool:

@nhp1127 Do you know the email-adress of him? Would be great and more easy for operating from germany... :rolleyes:
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    Tom,

Ken (Rod) Hudsons email address is;

Kenneth Hudson [krodhudson@worldnet.att.net]

I bought a set of these from him last year, and they are drop dead gorgeous. If you know what I mean :)

Hudsonly,

Doug
  • I believe Rod Hudson gets his sills from the place in NJ. I would contact him directly as it sounds like he is getting his soon and the manufacturer is giving out 6 month lead times.

D
This discussion has been closed.