'28 essex Sedan

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
'79 Buick V-6 Turbo w/ TH400

S-10 Blazer 4WD rear end

4 wheel disc brakes

Heidt's front

More pix to come.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Dan

Comments

• More pix. The frame has been extended 7.5 inches to accomodate a gas tank on the back. I will need to fabricate a rear bumper. Enjoy

Dan
  • When finished drive it like you stole it! That will be a fun car for you and looking forward to more pics thru the build process!

Rick
  • More pix of the build. The gas tank will set in a steel 'steamer trunk' on the back. Handles have been shaved. firewall replaced. Should marriage the two sections in a couple of weeks for a fit before final paint
  • Looks like real good work and we sure like the shop, lots of space and no crowding. Thanks for the pics and like to see more. Thanks, Bob
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    this is going to be a fine ride, how long have you been working on her

Mike
  • Had the car 5 years, been working on it for the last year. Put the project on hold to build a house.
  • essexcoupe3131
    I hope you built a garage big enough for a few toys

while you were at it LOL

Mike
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    The car looks very nice.

Trade ya' garages?:D
  • very nice build...I just hope you don't ever get rear ended with that gas tank there.
  • that tank will be in double hulled, 14ga, custom made steamer trunk. Am beefing up tyhe rear bumper cross member with 1/4 inch steel. thanks for looking

dan
  • Nice work for sure. Why didn't you use that nice looking V-8 in the backround?

Keep up the great work.

Ron
  • When was the last time you saw a streetrod with a turbo V-6 in it. The V-8, SBC 350, would require cutting to much out of the firewall. Hey, I like to different, often at my own peril, but hey:

1. It's a '28 Essex sedan

2. Buick V-6 turbo

3. S-10 rear end.

Thanks for looking
  • essexcoupe3131
    28essexNQS wrote:
    When was the last time you saw a streetrod with a turbo V-6 in it. The V-8, SBC 350, would require cutting to much out of the firewall. Hey, I like to different, often at my own peril, but hey:

1. It's a '28 Essex sedan

2. Buick V-6 turbo

3. S-10 rear end.

Thanks for looking

You don't have to chop much at all, this is a stock fire wall and only enlarged where the x is and that wasn't a whole lot, short water pump on the small block used the stock radiator surround with a 3 row high volume re-core and had baffles installed into the original tanks to stop them collapsing under pressure, in the middle of summer motor never runs over 130 degs with a 16" electric fan

If you are going to run headers on the Buick, make sure you put some stainless spaced baffles on the side hoods to deflect the heat off, makes a huge amount of difference and will save the paint long term

thoughts

Mike
  • Dan:
    Have you got any further then the last pics you posted, I am trying to use some of your insight, and would appreciate a few more pics

Thanks Peter
  • how far have you gotten, since we last talked, just asking?

Peter
  • Peter
    I just finished the wood on top. Will post pix in a few days. Did you get trhe front end issue solved?
    Dan
  • :) Got the front end solved, have to wait for my buddy to get back he is an excellent welder from vacation. Thanks for your interest, checking the junk yards here for the rear end, looking forward to your pics
    Peter
  • Finally, the body is painted and the engine is ready. Buick 3.8l, 231 (0.040) turbo 400 trans. More pix to follow. Seats have pic-nik tables I redid from a 66 rolls royce.
    dan
  • essexcoupe3131
    Hi Dan,
    a nice color Blue,
    paint looks great and I like what you have done with the seats
    and it looks like a Essex badge you engraved in the timber

Mike
  • More updated pix. The trunk on the back of the car holds the gas tank. NOS AC Delco
    JACPAC air shocks. turbo engine on frame
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Love the red oak roof. Paint color is very classy, and nicely done. Fantastic project. :)
  • Here are some more pix of the progress on the 28 Essex.
  • essexcoupe3131
    coming along just great
    Mike
  • The end is in site. Just add glass, buff and polish. 2 weeks.
  • essexcoupe3131
    looks like the mesh out of a 31
    but might be slightly larger holes
    looking good
    Mike
  • Not much to add, here is the mounted trunk. Made a custom bumper that is in paint. pix coming soon
  • dustymaxhudson
    dustymaxhudson Expert Adviser
    Looking good!
  • I like it! Dan
  • Winding down to the end. Pix of bumper, parking lights, and tail lights. Headlights are halogen. The end is in sight.
    Dan
This discussion has been closed.