Electronic Ignition in a straight "8"

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Back in September some forum members were looking into the application of a Petronix electonic ignition for a straight 8. They were talking to Petronix about Petronix's unit for a Packard 8 fitting the Hudson 8.

Did anyone find out wheather the Packard unit would work.

Comments

• 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    Yes that would be me. Here is my final post on the subject. However Buffalo Machine did a great job rebuilding my distributor, but the Petronix is not going to happen on my C8.

I thought I would close the loop on this since I started it several months ago. I contacted Pertronix about the Hudson 8 conversion to electronic ignition and they agreed to look at it. I got a call back after they examined it and the Packard unit that I thought would work and said it would not, but they could make a unit for about $350! Well that is out of my price range. I then sent my unit to Buffalo Machine in CO for a go through and Jim there said he would take a crack at a Pertronix conversion.

After he talked to Pertronix it was confirmed that the reason the Packard unit would not be a drop in is that it rotates the opposite direction from the Hudson distributor and the mounting angle of the points is different. Jim said he would do it for a bit less than Pertornix for a custom unit but ............. it would be a one of a kind and if it went poof and would be stuck without a replacement for any reasonable time. I agreed to let it stay with the orginal setup. Buffalo did a hellofva job on the rebuild and it looks like a brand new unit.

So Pertronix is out for me, but if you have an extra $350 you can give it a go!
  • Fred
    Fred Expert Adviser
    Crane Cam makes a unit that fits in easly. have one in my 48 Hudson 8. It also fit in my 1938 Alden Sailboat (engine-Universal atomic four)

Fred
This discussion has been closed.