Door Adjustment

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi, I can't remember who wrote about the door adjustment after cracking a window glass or two. I just want to say thank you because it was so easy and I felt dumb not knowing what to do after slamming the doors to get them to close tight. I'm sure I at cracked at least two of them. Thanks again Will.

Comments

• Hey Little-- I missed that one-- can you repeat the adjustment? The doors on my 49 Commodore don't shut tight either unless I slam the #@*&* out of them.

lee
  • Hi Lee, I can't remember who wrote this in the forum or what page I found it on but RL.Chilton rings a bell. All you do is take a #3 phillips screwdriver an loosen the latch and adjust it until it closes right. There are only 3 screws but just loosen them a little then, tighten and try again untill you get it right. Put some lithium on what ever moves. It didn't take me long. Good luck Will.
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    What I recently figured out (doh!) is that I was doing it wrong all along. Your natural inclination is to move the latch as far in as it will go to make the door shut tight, but I found the door was only catching on the safety latch. If you move them out so that there are two clicks audible when they are closed, they will close properly. With some new weatherstripping and doors adjusted, 90% of the rattles are gone!
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi dwardo99,

Me too. Thanks!! I had the same problem. The "voices" in my head kept saying move it in, not thinking that it had a safety latch. I'll move it out and try that.

Thanks again.

Chaz
  • Also, keep in mind that along with the latch adjustment, if you have any doors that "drag" on the latch side, the door in question can easily be manipulated and moved closer to the hinge side. A 2 x 4 works well for this. Simply open the door, put the 2 x 4 against the jamb-(latch side), close the door as much as possible and "pry" the door towards the front of the car. I'm not talking about bending anything! Simple gentle pressure and 4 or 5 small bounces against the 2 x 4 is enough to coax the hinges into a new "settling spot". All four of my doors work as if the car was brand new. Cost excluding new WTSP? $00.00!

Russell Chilton
This discussion has been closed.