49C8.Com - Suggestions or Requests...

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Not that I don't already have enought to do :) - but I just thought I would ask for some feedback on the content of the site.

Is there anything that anyone would like to see more of?

Areas of design or fabrication work that I have done that anyone would like more detail of on the site?

Things you don't like about the site? Don't worry I'm fat and have thick skin! :eek:

Comments

• brnhornet52*
    brnhornet52* Senior Contributor
    Hi Dan and Rambo,

Be careful what you wish for!!!! (LMAO!!) You're opening the door here.
  • rambos_ride
    Hi Dan and Rambo,

Be careful what you wish for!!!! (LMAO!!) You're opening the door here.

Sure - but I AM the webmaster! So I ultimately get the final say :rolleyes: :D

Seriously - I have gotten a lot of emails from people all over the world that have found the site and thanked me for putting it out there for ideas, reference pictures, and motivation. So I thought I would ask my immediate peers on the forum for some feedback to see if I can make it even better!

I know its not a full on restoration (that would be a fun site/car to do someday) but even the die hard purists out there should see that I love the car and am committed to putting what was really a #5 car back on the road again.

• Wow. Somehow I missed this thread (the bold type disappeared off the title, for some reason).

Yes! I have an idea. Check out: www.project33.com/ (I hope that highlighted) .

Being a hot rod guy, I watched his site like a hawk for a long time. This guy went to the manufacturers and told them that he was going to build a hot rod and post every step of it on web for others to follow. Many manufacturers "donated" parts for the project due to the exposure.

One of the most redeeming qualities was the text that went along with the pictures. People could READ and SEE what was going on and maybe get ideas of their own, or learn not necessarily what was the "right" way to accomplish a task, but certainly how someone else in the same situation solved the intended dilemma.

Keep in mind, I'm still very much a rookie when it comes to Hudsons and I spend quite a bit of time at your site simply studying the pictures and trying to ascertain what the hell I'm looking at. More text (in particular I mean with each photo) would go a long way to help your viewer understand what is being accomplished for each individual task.

You said you had a thick skin, so please don't take this as anything other than constructive criticism. Remember, I'm one of those fans of your website.

The Project33 car is complete now, so make sure you go and check out some of his earlier construction.
  • O.k., just looked at your site again with more objective eyes.

"My goal with this car is to follow the Monster Garage Mantra: "The vehicle must appear to be stock" From the outside I want The Hudson to appear mostly original, no frenching of headlights/taillights, no shaving of door handles, no chopping the top, no "de-chroming" meaning all chrome/stainless will be refurbished or replaced - when I can find it.."

This is good, but give the viewers a visual. Got a concept drawing? Or a pic of a finished car like what your striving for? We did a drawing for the '32. This would go a long way to let your viewer know what the end result will look like. It also serves as a great motivational tool for the builder.

From Dan: "I know its not a full on restoration (that would be a fun site/car to do someday) but even the die hard purists out there should see that I love the car and am committed to putting what was really a #5 car back on the road again."

What do you mean it's not a full on restoration? You mean that it's not exactly going to be like it was 1/2 a century ago when it rolled off the line? SO WHAT? Disappointed that your not going to Concours next year? I don't think so, YOUR GONNA DRIVE IT!! Like everyone should do. Don't doubt for a minute that what your doing is anything less than it should be-your car, your money, your time, your VISION! There's probably a million people out there that wishes they were doing exactly what you are doing. Why do you think you've got so many fans?

Sincerely-

Russell Chilton
  • One more thing, your Custom How-To section is my absolute favorite. It's like I'm learning along with you. I couldn't be the only one that feels this way. It makes me wish all the pics were done in this fashion. Just a thought . . .
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi Dan,

Absolutely love your site. I go back again and again and compare my '51 with what you show. It is a great help to me. I am a great fan of you, your ideas and your site. Don't stop!

As for suggestons? Possibly eliminate the right side where your Jeep was displayed so that all three small pics shown horizontally can be shown at the same time rather than having to use the left arrow/right arrow. It would flow better with just having to go up and down. The other thing has to do with saving the large pictures. I have tried to save the large pics so I can print them and then take them out to the car for comparison.

As far as what you show you are right on target and give us all inspiration.

Chaz
  • rambos_ride
    So far great feedback! Thanks!

RE:Russell

Concept Drawing: YES! - I've wanted to have a concept picture(s) for sometime as it would help line up potential sponsors to show their name on the car with their logo upfront!

I haven't been out to project33 for a while now and just fired a email off to his concept artist (I can mess around digitally with pictures but I draw like a 3 year old child!) if it's not too expensive or they'll do it for a sponsorship maybe I can get one done.

Custom How-To:
    I'll definetly expand this section more to include more detail and other fab and custom stuff that has been done where there are pictures in the gallery section but not much text.

More Detail With Pictures: I've been dragging my feet on this one but start getting better descriptions in with the new pictures or links and will make an effort over the winter to get better detail on the old ones - normally I'm dealing with a dozen or more pictures during each update and there is a lot of massaging to do sizing the pictures and inputing the picture related data into a file format the "auto-magically" auto-generates the Gallery pages...it's like programming vodoo!

RE:CHAZ

Right Side Page Layout: I run 2 dual 19" Neovo monitors running digitally so I set the page layout to look sweet on my main monitor running at 1280x1024 which is causing you to have to scroll left to right if running at a lower resolution - or if you have the favorites window open on your browser. I had some further plans for links on the right side but I've had this comment from some others so I'll take a look at it. At a minimum I can reduce the number of pictures from 3 across to 2 - you just would have to scroll farther vertically or there would be more pages - not a big issue either way.

Saving Large Pictures: The biggest reason I made the larger images not right-click downloadable is to not flog all my bandwidth uploading hi-res images because when you right click and "save" an image it has to upload from my server to your machine. Until I can afford some more bandwidth if you or anyone else has some larger images you want make a note of which one and shoot me an email dan@ypfs.com and I can email you the larger images on request (right click the thumbs to get the file name of the ones you want.)

Thanks again - still looking forward to more feedback!
This discussion has been closed.