Body Sealer

ratlee2
ratlee2 Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi All,

I am ready to start the reassembly on my 53 superwasp and was wondering what you guys use to seal the trim retainer screws that go through the body to keep them from leaking inside the car. Do you guys use 3M strip caulk or 3M ribbon sealer around the screws?

Thanks,

Rich

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    ratlee2 wrote:
    Hi All,

I am ready to start the reassembly on my 53 superwasp and was wondering what you guys use to seal the trim retainer screws that go through the body to keep them from leaking inside the car. Do you guys use 3M strip caulk or 3M ribbon sealer around the screws?

Thanks,

Rich

We had a nice little discussion on this a while back here's the link to to it...

http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3003&highlight=permagum
  • We had a nice little discussion on this a while back here's the link to to it...

http://www.classiccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3003&highlight=permagum

O.k., Dan, I went back and read that post, but two questions still remain to me:

1) Is "Permagum No. 576 Sealer" still available?

2) What is your plan when it comes time to mount your painted fenders?

Russell
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    RL Chilton wrote:
    O.k., Dan, I went back and read that post, but two questions still remain to me:

1) Is "Permagum No. 576 Sealer" still available?

2) What is your plan when it comes time to mount your painted fenders?

Russell

Hi Russell,

Presstite Permagum looks to me to be the closest thing to the original stuff out there and is used these days mostly in appliances

The properties listed here:

CHARACTERISTICS:

• Seals out moisture, dust and dirt.

• Resistant to water, water vapor, temperature, alchohol, and

mild acids or caustics.

• Service temperature range from -30°F to 158°F (-34°C to

70°C).

• Excellent adhesion to wood, metal, plastics, glass, as well

as many other surfaces.

• Off-white color.

• Non-staining, non-drying

USES:

Any application which requires moisture, dust and dirt to be sealed

out and where ease of application is an important consideration.

the reliable source.....

SUGGESTED APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Adhering surfaces should be clean and dry.

2. Place Permagum over opening to be sealed and gently

press into place with thumbs.

SPECIFICATIONS:

Base Non-drying synthetic polymers.

Filler Inert materials (contains no asbestos).

Color Off White

Odor Non contaminating to sweet butter

Shrinkage Nil

Weight per Gallon Approximately 14 lbs.

High resistance to Water, water vapor, physical shock,

alchohol, mild acids and caustics.

I got this information from

http://www.virginiakmp.com/ Catalog -> Tapes, Gums and Mastics - then scroll to about mid page and you will see the link for Presstite Permagum that they sell which comes in

PP33 is our 3/16" extruded cords PP36 is our 3/8" extruded cords PP22 is our 2 lb. slug PP250 is our 50 lb slug

I've not done the research yet to see if 3m has a comparible product. I know that Dennis-NY said he was going to use the 3m strip caulking but in my opinion this stuff is too heavy a consistency to bolt the fenders up with I'm not sure it would squeeze and flatten like the original permagum should - maybe 3m has a strip caulking that is more pliable and remains sticky over time but the black 3m strip caulking is normally used around tail lights, firewall extrusions and the like. It does stay pliable but again has a skin like or heavier feel than that original gummy stuff I took off my car.

So if 3m does have something with the correct characteristics I'll get that locally otherwise my current plan is to order either the 3/16 or 3/8 extruded cord Permatitie Presscord from Virginia KMP or another supplier.

The rest of the body pan areas I have scraped all the undercoating and seal from - I'll just use standard Auveco Body Seal to lay a nice bead on the seams rather than the slopped on thick undercoating the factory used!

I'm also taking things 1 step further in that anywhere there is a drain for water I'm going to use a self-levelling compound to flow around the low side of the drain so water actually will go right through the drain hole rather than pooling in the corners - The 5 hell-ish years I spent at Boeing as an aircraft sealer continues to come back and haunt me! :eek:

• Thanks, Dan. That's great info. I'm sure you'll keep us posted on your site.

Russell
This discussion has been closed.