Two Silly questions!

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
1) I've seen a lot of red engine blocks, lately. What was the original block color for '52? Mine's gold, currently.

2) The drawn stainless trim on the sides of a stepdown: anyone have a method for polishing these? I'm looking for a product and a method. Do they need to be pulled off the car and polished on a wheel or can it be done on the car? The cast pieces at both ends (the Hornet logo and the pork chop) are obviously cast pieces and are chrome plated. They shine like there's no tomorrow. But the stainless trim that runs between them needs some help. Recommendations?

Thanks-

Russell

Comments

• Hornet 308 engines from 1951 thur 1953 were Gold. 1954 and 1955 were Red.
  • boozer wrote:
    Hornet 308 engines from 1951 thur 1953 were Gold. 1954 and 1955 were Red.

Thanks. That certainly fits with what I've seen lately.

Russell
  • Stainless trim should be removed if buffing it out. Eastwood Co. sells buffing wheels and compound for buffing stainless.
  • boozer wrote:
    Stainless trim should be removed if buffing it out. Eastwood Co. sells buffing wheels and compound for buffing stainless.

S'allright! I'll check it out.

Russell
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Yep I got and Eastwood stainless polishing kit for my C8 cause it has miles of stainless. You may end up replacing trim clips but be as careful as you can prying it off so ya don't kink it.
  • There was a fellow in Idaho in the HET club that makes a tool to remove stainless trim. I think his name was Gene. It looks like a small putty knife bent at a 90 degree angle about a 1/2 inch from the tip. it's then sharpened so it slides under the edge of the stainless piece. Use a regular wide blade putty knife covered with a soft rag and place it next to the body on the paint then use the tool to pry loose trim. The wide blade knife and rag will keep you from damaging the paint. and that way you pry on the large putty knife not the car body.
  • boozer wrote:
    There was a fellow in Idaho in the HET club that makes a tool to remove stainless trim. I think his name was Gene. It looks like a small putty knife bent at a 90 degree angle about a 1/2 inch from the tip. it's then sharpened so it slides under the edge of the stainless piece. Use a regular wide blade putty knife covered with a soft rag and place it next to the body on the paint then use the tool to pry loose trim. The wide blade knife and rag will keep you from damaging the paint. and that way you pry on the large putty knife not the car body.

I'm familiar with the technique, although I don't have the tool you mentioned. I usually use a 6" mud knife used for taping drywall.

Thanks!

Russell :)
  • Yep I got and Eastwood stainless polishing kit for my C8 cause it has miles of stainless. You may end up replacing trim clips but be as careful as you can prying it off so ya don't kink it.

I was looking at the Eastwood site today (again). I think I'm gonna get the stainless kit, it was like 34.95 or so.

Russell
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Speaking of all the yards of stainless for these cars - and I'm not looking to purshase yet - but has anyone seen full sets of lower rockers trim pieces for stepdown cars - if so how much $$?

• Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    RL Chilton wrote:
    I was looking at the Eastwood site today (again). I think I'm gonna get the stainless kit, it was like 34.95 or so.

Russell

That's the kit I bought.......you can buy a set of trim clips from Ken Poynter in MI. I think if need be.
This discussion has been closed.