46 Hudson Pro Street vin tag help...

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I just traded for a 46 Hudson coupe. all the paperwork and state stickers from the previous owner are in order. My problem is the metal vin tag disappeared somewhere. Is there anyone that makes replacement tags?

Comments

• Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    Well this may sound unethical; but registering old vehicles with DNV can be a pain; If you have correct Papers with the Serial number, cut a pc of thin Aluminum for a Tag then stamp the serial number in the tag then rivet onto the door frame. Small Punches are available a t Swap Meets and may take a couple trys ubtil you get numbers aligned orderly.

The Factory Tag has SERIAL NO. painted/printed across the top but its usually worn off with small numbers stamped across bottom measuring (aprx) 1" x 2 .
  • the car is legal in every way. nothing illegal. previous owner just misplaced the tag. do you have a photo of what tha real tag looks like?
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    The serial plate "blank" is available from K-Gap for $10. Here is the page from their on-line catalog: http://www.k-gap.com/cat/Page14.pdf
  • thanks for the response. I did check with K-GAP and they are at the nationals. will reopen 8/16. gotta wait 2 weeks I guess. does anyone have a photo of the serial tag, the measurements and measured location? I'll just make my own as long as it looks correct.
  • Ol racer
    FYI

KGap Repo is worth waiting for but theTag Is roughly 1" high by 2" long located on my '37 on the right front door Post 4" above top hinge fastened by 2 'drive rivets'.

My '47 is way out back but know its located in the same general area. Suggest look for two rivet holes on your RF Post. Top of Tag has painted black CAR SERIAL NO. but that usually fades off over yrs... Across bottom the Serial Numbers are simply stamped and what you need for tracing.
  • thanks,you've been a great help. no holes or anything. my door posts are clean. the car is finished and everything is all painted and pretty.
  • thanks again!
  • Ol racer
    FYI

Nobody will measure the location. Just stamp the numbers in a line like 46 Hudson Pictured, then take a Tracing with soft lead pencil on a thin sheet a paper. Take a few tracings and enclose the best one. The painted Serial No lettering wont show on the Tracing any way. I live in Pa and made my Tag. If you apply for a reconstructed Title Pa will send you a Tag & rivits. I have a collectable Plate on my Chevy powered Hudson Trk. You probably know they want front rear and side pictures.

If Pro St will be obvious modified but Ive seen Antique Plates on Hudsons with V8 Motors because DNV doesnt want open hood pic's.
  • made a tag, got vin verified, registered with antique plates. all is well with the world...
  • I remember back in 1979 I bought a '42 Ford Pickup that had no tag anywhere, nor in the door post where they were in those years, in fact had no holes anywhere. We figured it may have been a military vehicle, who knows, but I still had to have it registered and it had no tags anywhere.

So, an old hot rod buddy and I went up to one of our favorite old car wrecking yards. It didn't have any trucks like mine, but I did find an old Plymouth with a tag that was held on by screws. I simply unscrewed it, cut off the brand name with tin snips, riveted it on the firewall of my truck, and sprayed the firewall and tag all black. Then about 4:45pm, I went across the street to the California DMV and they sent a pregnant gal over to inspect the VIN tag. She took one look at the tag and saw a number, and that was all she cared about. I got it registered as a '42 (no "reconstruct" title, thank goodness) without a hiccup, and she didn't even notice that '42 Ford pickups didn't usually come with SBC V8's!

Now, I was young and reckless then and I don't recommend this behavior now, but its still a good story.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Bought a horse trailer from out of state, so it had to be inspected for VIN number. Couldn't find it anywhere. State trooper inspector said, "just keep scratching around, I'll bet you'll find it" and kind of winked.

So I went home, scratched off the paint on the tongue in kind of a non-obvious place, borrowed a set of numeral stamps, put on the number, painted over it, then a couple weeks later scratched the paint off to reveal the number. Went in for the inspection, the guy laughed and said, "See, I knew you'd find it."
This discussion has been closed.