48 Kustom

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
48Kustom2.jpg

48Kustom1.jpg

OK Dan, how do you like this one? I think that the guy really added to the Hudson lines, a true fastback styling. I really like this one, not a cookie cutter engine either. On EBay... :D

Comments

• wonder where the side glass is hiding ? we have a similar one in our area the lady wants $14000 for it. has glass in it and i think the interior is compete done. its been subframed for the chev engine too. really a eye catcher . . . wish i have a billion dollars and i would then go NUTS . . .
  • GOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a super KEMP! This is a real capture of the Hudson lines in a style from my youthful years. Oh to be 18 again... Oh what the heck... 58 going on 18 here as I type this ... dilemma ... do I keep harmony with my Best Friend or sneak a KEMP into the garage.... Ah ... slap me again ... No windows and a mexican blanket, WoW. A true POP ART example of a KEMP for Hudson Stepdown Lovers... Hope it gets a home with a Hudson person...

Drooling in the Heart O Texas
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    8k already and hasn't hit the reserve! Wow - maybe there is something to customizing after all.... :rolleyes:

I think the chop is a bit much - I have always thought a chop on a stepdown should be a reverse pie cut - not the typical pie cut as shown here - and 2" would be perfect instead of 4"

The seams are visible and rough, fit of doors, hood etc is rough (maybe thats the style the builder was going for...more rat rod - who cares attitude?)

I still like Hudson grilles in Hudsons but at least the headlights aren't frenched!

:eek:
  • GOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a super KEMP! This is a real capture of the Hudson lines in a style from my youthful years. Oh to be 18 again... Oh what the heck... 58 going on 18 here as I type this ... dilemma ... do I keep harmony with my Best Friend or sneak a KEMP into the garage.... Ah ... slap me again ... No windows and a mexican blanket, WoW. A true POP ART example of a KEMP for Hudson Stepdown Lovers... Hope it gets a home with a Hudson person...

Drooling in the Heart O Texas

Agreed - 68 here wishing I were a rich 18, myself. This is a great example of automotive history. And, like it or not, cars like this do have an historical value and interest. They were, and are today, part of the "car culture".

Somebody sure did a beautiful job on this one - and you sure ain't gonna mistake it for a Merc!!!!

I definitely would love taking this one to a Hudson meet - I know a Hudson "purist" that would probably blow his brains (??) out if we could drive into a meet he's at.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • I like this...

what i would change....

Custom 308 with edmunds finned head, 2x2 edmunds manifold

there's a reason none of the glass is done...

the fron t tire changes must be tough!
  • i try to send pics of mine!! :D
  • How many inchs of ugly you got out of the top, Looks neat. Reminds me of the 1983 KKOA Nationals in De Moines, Iowa. At the far end of the field was a chopped 50 Mercury. and a 49 Hudson with a stock height top side by side. I asked a friend who had a hammered Mercury which was lower. He picked the Hudson. Of course this was 300ft away.
  • I LIKE IT!!! Right down to the Blanket on the front seat. Windows, I don't need no steenking windows! Seriously tho' I do like the look.

Bob Hickson
  • I like the grill, could use some finessing but the ideas great! few051, yours is awesome too. Did you do the chop yourself? If not, how much did it run you (if I'm not being too nosey)? Out of my budget........but maybe someday!

Jay
  • hi,yes i did the chop top,3inch front and 4 inch back.my winshields are lexan product

and a lots of other mod! hope to see you someday!!few051
  • Now that is cooooool!! Who needs a cookie cutter Merc when Hudsons Look so awesome as a lead sled. I gotta get me one of these.
  • That's sweet! I'd drive that as-is! A paint job might ruin the look! Some Torque-Thrust-D's or some Moon discs up front would round it out very nicely! Flames, maybe? Love the grille!
  • At 11K with one day to go! In my opinion, if somebody gets this car at that price they've gotten a great price...wish I had the wherewithall to add to the collection. Hope it goes to a Hudson lover who is or will be a member of the community.
  • rambos_ride
    Sorry guys that gray piece just isn't worth bumpkiss in my book let alone 11k - few051's black custom is a much better example and the work done on few051's car is much nicer in comparison

Heck if the gray thing really sells for 11k - I'll just start buying stepdown runners for 4-5k - chop the top a couple of inches, hang some dangly pointy chrome all over it (so it looks like it drove into a Schucks Auto Parts store and everything fell on it!) and then double or even tripple my asking price! :eek: :D
  • OK HOTSHOTS, I have a NOS cal. custom electric trunk release solenoid in the box. I have had this thing for years. Best of all its yours for free if you pay shipping. My Email is bowlertb2@wmconnect.com.
  • rambos_ride
    $16200.00

Are you kidding me? :eek:

Last time I checked the listing had gotten over 12000 hits!

Am I missing something because I sure don't see 16k sitting there.

Personally I think someone will be very dissappointed when they get the car.
  • rockin tom
    rockin tom Senior Contributor
    I can't believe that price... that's really toooo much :eek:
  • $16200.00

Are you kidding me? :eek:

Last time I checked the listing had gotten over 12000 hits!

Am I missing something because I sure don't see 16k sitting there.

Personally I think someone will be very dissappointed when they get the car.

I agree. I think this helps validate how stock Hudsons are under valued. Niels
  • rambos_ride
    You know what really "Grinds My Gears" with this car is that it really is not even a hot-rod - it's a "RAT ROD" in the truest sense.

Shoddy looking work, unfinished portions, crummy looking paint, blankets for seat covers, "Buick 350" junkyard motor and trans - all that and it still has the original Hudson rear axle - which BTW 99.9% of people on the forum have told me they won't hold up to any real abuse (how much abuse can a 350 buick motor give you?)

Its not a total turd mind you (it's still basically a Hudson) but I think it sold for about 15,200.00 TOO MUCH!
  • Wow Dan! I got the impression you weren't very impressed. At least you tell it like it is. I agree though, 16,200 is WAY to much for unfinished, very altered, vehicle-- of any make. Your comments make me that much more anxious to see your 49 finished! I'm pretty sure I paid a little too much for our car, but I'm sure that this ratrod is a case of the right buyer coming along at the right time, i.e., they fell in love with the look of the car and better judgement got the best of them.

Russell
  • rambos_ride
    RL Chilton wrote:
    Wow Dan! I got the impression you weren't very impressed. At least you tell it like it is. I agree though, 16,200 is WAY to much for unfinished, very altered, vehicle-- of any make. Your comments make me that much more anxious to see your 49 finished! I'm pretty sure I paid a little too much for our car, but I'm sure that this ratrod is a case of the right buyer coming along at the right time, i.e., they fell in love with the look of the car and better judgement got the best of them.

Russell

Well - I think we all paid too much for many of our cars! Hindsight being what it is!

I take real pride in my work - I will never win the "Riddler" award but at the end of the day and 20 years from now I'd like folks to look at the car and think to themselves - "Wow - someone did some nice work on this car" - or better yet...do a good enough job to make them wonder if it was original or not!

With the gray piece - the pictures showed obvious issues with the chop, panel fit and finish. If the pictures show that - just imagine how bad it will be when the buyer gets a close up look at it.

I'm not against customs - or rat rods - but like my grandpa always told me "If you are going to do something..Do It Right!"

Maybe I'm just mad because someone just made a boat load of cash on a car that could be easily be re-created for 6-7 k - including the price of the car!

If I had the money and the time I'd show you! ;)

This discussion has been closed.