Quest for 46 Commodore SN#3262045

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I wonder if this car is still around? My father owned this car and I learned how to drive in it. I have a 46 Commodore just like it but it would be nice to see the Original Old Buggy again. Lots of memories.

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Best way I can think of, is to contact whoever has volunteered to keep the registry on 1946 Hudsons for the H-E-T (this list is in the back pages of the WTN) and ask if the car is on his list. Of course, since it's entirely voluntary to add one's name to the list, the fact that the car isn't listed there doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't exist any more. But it's a start.
  • mars55
    mars55 Senior Contributor
    That serial number isn't right. As listed in Alex Burr's spec sheet, a '46 Commodore serial number should start with a 52 (6 cyl) or 54 (8 cyl). That starting '3' is probability a '5'.
  • mars55 wrote:
    That serial number isn't right. As listed in Alex Burr's spec sheet, a '46 Commodore serial number should start with a 52 (6 cyl) or 54 (8 cyl). That starting '3' is probability a '5'.

The serial number is correct. In 1946 there was a dual model designation; model numbers were assigned as 51 (Super 6), 52 (Commodore 6), 53 (Super 8) and 54 (Commodore 8). However, serial numbers were prefaced with 31, 32, 33 and 34. This followed the 1942 series numbers which began with the number "2", which would have been logical had 1943 models been built. The "5" numbers denote 1945.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr
  • mars55
    mars55 Senior Contributor
    Well I'll be. You learn something about Hudsons everyday.
  • mars55 wrote:
    Well I'll be. You learn something about Hudsons everyday.

We're still trying to figure out the logic in the 1947 numbers - ie, 171, 172, etc. We know that the 7 indicates 1947 and the last digit, 1, 2, 3 etc indicate the specific model - but what the first digit, 1 in all cases, means.

At least 1948 and 1949 (480, 490) makes sense.

But, then, that's Hudson for you.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Well sir, I am looking at the original paperwork and it is definately 3262045. It is not listed in the HET regestry, probably gone forever.
This discussion has been closed.