HUDSON - Lola gets a firewall

mrsbojigger
mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hi Jay,

Have you read the reply I sent you about your questions. One other thought. I wonder if a new steering column is used, an Ididit steering wheel adaptor could be used for the Hudson steering wheel? Also, if the steering sector is removed from the original steering column leaving only the steering shaft, maybe a friend at a machine shop could add GM splines at bottom to mate with a P/S unit? GM and Hudson both use a 3/4" shaft. This would be in lieu of the double "d". Just some thought.

Hear is a pic of my firewall thats going into Lola. The only problem with this is that I am now trying to engineer a different windshield wiper setup since I do not have the cables anymore.

Chaz

Comments

• Thanks Chaz I did read it, but been busy at work lately and hadn't got a chance to respond. The more I think about it, the more I am tending to lean towards a tilt column. Maybe the GM truck tilt would work, I'll have to measure from the dash to the firewall. I'll have to see how to adapt the cable linkage to a tilt column......my tranny uses a cable instead of rods (GM 4L60e). Just hope I can come up with a nice looking plate or something to cover the column mounting bracket. Your Ford dash and such looks great! Very nice add on for the a/c controls too.

Wipers are going to be challenge......let me know how you deal with that one.

Jay
  • Hi Jay,

Have you read the reply I sent you about your questions. One other thought. I wonder if a new steering column is used, an Ididit steering wheel adaptor could be used for the Hudson steering wheel? Also, if the steering sector is removed from the original steering column leaving only the steering shaft, maybe a friend at a machine shop could add GM splines at bottom to mate with a P/S unit? GM and Hudson both use a 3/4" shaft. This would be in lieu of the double "d". Just some thought.

Hear is a pic of my firewall thats going into Lola. The only problem with this is that I am now trying to engineer a different windshield wiper setup since I do not have the cables anymore.

Chaz

Chaz-

Concerning windshield wipers: Are you converting to 12V? If so, have you considered a hot rod aftermarket motor? I was actually thinking of two of them, wired in series, one for each side. There would be plenty of room to mount them under the dash.

Russell
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi Russell,

The problem with aftermarket wiper units are that the windshield on the Hudson is so curved and it has that V-shaped trough under it. Clearances are the problem. I am going to try using two separate motors directly attached. I have just ordered a Jeep Cherokee Wagoneer rear window wiper motor and will try that. It will be here mid next week. Lets hope this works. I'll let you know.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hi Jay,

Chaz

I'm leaving the cable driven wipers in my 49 but have bought a Newport Engineering Electric Replcement motor with intermittent wipers to power it.

Maybe check out Autoloc (one of my sponsors for the 49) they have an aftermarket univeral type kit available that might be the ticket for you.

wiper1.jpg

http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=WIPER
  • Did the Rod come with air powered (vacuum) wipers?...R.V.
  • All Hudsons were vacuum powered wipers, that's generally the crux of the situation. No vacuum, no wipers. Going up hills is really a problem!
This discussion has been closed.