1949 "ole School Hot Rod from the Nationals

Browniepetersen
Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I am posting these from my files for a good friend. I had a wonderful time speaking to the owner and then walked away and did not write down his name? This is a great custom......

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    I dig that grill. Is that a custom fabbed job? Doesn't look familiar to me, which is why I like it.

What, pray-tell, is under that raised section of hood?
  • Browniepetersen
    When I saw the grill I thought 53 Chevrolet but the edges of the teeth are too crisp. I expect that it is custom made. I think the raised section of the hood is for looks. Forgot what engine it had in it but I think it was a 53 twin H???
  • GrimGreaser
    I thought it look sectioned... Cool.
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Well, thanks, Brownie, I enjoyed talking to you as well. :D

That link that Hudson308 posted pretty well tells the story, on mine and the other sectioned Hudsons. As to the questions on here, the grill is from a '59 Imperial. The Imperial had other components as well, but this was stuck on in the middle of the whole thing. I looked in an old Motor Repair Manual and confirmed it (remember, they used to show the front of all the cars, by year and model?).

The hood rib actually is functional, to clear the front carb. As built, the car had a single carb- but when the second owner got it, the twin H got added (engine is a '51 308- I'm not clear whether the builder put it in, or the second owner). But when you section a car, everything above the section line comes down (4", in this case)- and the lower hood height wouldn't clear the front carb. So the rib (its a rib from a '57 Chev hood, turned upside down) was put in. Carbs have little "Cal Custom" air cleaners, and still hardly clear- in fact, the front one is flattened on the outboard side, it still interferes with the rib.

And of course, the thing I keep wrestling with. Was at a car show with a couple of high school friends last weekend- one is an upholsterer. He looks at my car, and said, "I know its a period piece, but think of how b!tchin' it would be in black, lose the Connie kit, and let me go wild on the interior. . ."

What say you?:cool:
  • GrimGreaser
    I like the paint scheme and interior scheme, especially the fabric. Just something about it, nice and different. I do think the continental kit is a little much though... Maybe on a fully dressed/chromed non-sectioned stepdown, but it looks a little odd on yours the more I look.

It might be pretty cool to lose the continental bumper, but move the spare up onto and set into the truck lid with a nice custom cover... Just a thought.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    mike (wa) wrote:

And of course, the thing i keep wrestling with. Was at a car show with a couple of high school friends last weekend- one is an upholsterer. He looks at my car, and said, "i know its a period piece, but think of how b!tchin' it would be in black, lose the connie kit, and let me go wild on the interior. . ."

what say you?:cool:

I have a vote? :)
    NO!

You know that saying "they're only original once" - I think the same thing applies your beautiful custome survivor!

If "I" owned the car and were inclined to redo it - I'd pay homage to the original builder with maybe some subtle changes here and there. The seat upholstery may not be reproducable..but I bet you could find something similar with enough looking.

It is your car in the end, but with the history - I just think if you want black, new custom interior, no conny-kit..why not just do that up to another car? Dollarwise - it wouldnt be that much more, and the custom survives...

At least let me see it and take a bunch of pictures before you paint it black :)
  • MikeWA
    Yeah, I'll probably leave it as is. I do need to do something about the front seat -upholstery is shot, and seat needs to be lower and a little further back to be comfortable to drive- my upholsterer/street rod builder buddy assures me he can do it. Haven't yet made a concerted effort to match the material- its "Forecast" pattern, genuine naugahyde. I may end up just matching the color without the pattern, and leave the back seat like it is, to show how it was originally.
  • Browniepetersen
    Mike, as I mentioned in Spokane, you have a great custom Hudson. It would be a shame to change anything on it. Oh, like most, I could think of a dozen things that I could change or could do different. But, what a waste to change what you have. It is a great time capsul.

I showed the photo of the interior to the folks doing my car and he is an old guy and went nutz over it. He did a diner in the same material here in Ogden, Utah in the late 50's. He said that he threw half a roll of material away when he moved his shop in the 80's. The interior was one of the fun things that I like about your car....
  • MikeWA
    I was at a meeting of the Northwest Chapter a couple of summers ago (at the home of Charlie Hall- he's the guy that invested his retirement money in 3 gorgeous red '54 Hornet convertibles- His investment has sure done a lot better than my 401K- or should I say 201K, now). Anyhow, a stalwart of the NW Chapter is a fellow named Dick Riggs, who is an upholsterer by trade (furniture as well as cars). He took one look, and said "Forecast! I wish I had a dollar for every restaurant booth and dining room chair I did in that stuff back in the day!"

Now, I just need to launch a serious search for some of the stuff. There's bolts of it sitting in long forgotten corners of old shops, somewhere- just have to smoke it out.

Every time I think about changing the car, I lie down until the urge passes (or until Rambo slaps me upside the head and brings me to my senses!):D
  • rambos_ride
    SMS has got to have something - arent they in Oregon?
  • Leave it as-is, it's a gorgeous car! Painting it black and re-doing the interior would make it look like somebody's chopped Merc.
  • Mike, I really liked your car, its a great piece of custom rodding history that you just don't see much these days. I'm not going to tell you what to do with it. But, in my opinion, if you want to keep it a history car, I would search for some of these upholstery material, there must be some somewhere, I've seen a lot of old boat seats done in that stuff as well. I like the continental kit, if it was part of the build and you want to keep the history, I would leave it on. Other guys have restored other old hot rods, so I wouldn't be afraid to do a repaint or upholstery redo on it as they start falling apart, otherwise, more damage may get done then you want (unless you never drive it anywhere).

Anyway, I really enjoyed looking over your car. It's so great to see another Kustom Hudson, there are not enough of them yet! Best of luck with it, it's a keeper!

Jay
  • MikeWA
    Well, that was almost too easy! I had visions of spending the winter running down leads on that upholstery material- calling obscure shops all over the country, etc. - a pleasant way to spend long winter days.

Instead, I emailed SMS in Oregon with a picture- "Sure, we got it- how much ya want?" :D
  • Browniepetersen
    Wow, that has got to make your day? That is one of the good features of your car. Glad to see that it is available....
  • rambos_ride
    Mike (WA) wrote:
    Well, that was almost too easy! I had visions of spending the winter running down leads on that upholstery material- calling obscure shops all over the country, etc. - a pleasant way to spend long winter days.

Instead, I emailed SMS in Oregon with a picture- "Sure, we got it- how much ya want?" :D

CRAZY! When do we start the custom restoration?
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    Hi Dan, the vent looks good and I like the touch of it matching the grill

thank goodness for photo shop now only if I could work that stuff out

Mike
  • MikeWA
    Hey, that's cool, Dan- the little grill makes the whole thing "work". I'd put a third tooth in the middle, though. :D
  • rambos_ride
    Mike (WA) wrote:
    Hey, that's cool, Dan- the little grill makes the whole thing "work". I'd put a third tooth in the middle, though. :D

Most definitley the 3rd tooth is needed...hard to do with PS. I'd make the intake opening a similar shape to the grille opening

Of course to be fully functional we'd need to build a tray and make a foam barrier to seal aginst the hood.

Another option would be a "shaker" style scoop...still with a cover and similar grille opening..but, would not be tied to the hood...aka mopar style...but thats a more agressive change (that would still be cool :))
This discussion has been closed.