33 ET 6 to 8

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have a 1933 Essex Terraplane long wheel base 6 model KU, with the optional 16" wire wheels. It is in complete but rough condition,last driven in 1946, then stored in a barn until present day.The engine is seized and in unknown condition. Has anyone changed an ET6 to an 8? If so, what is involved? I have the option to buy the correct 8 cylinder engine along with the correct hood with doors, hubcaps,gauges, emblems,fender lights but I am still in need of the 8 cylinder headlamps. :( Is the tranny and rear end the same between the 6 and 8? I have always wished for the ET 8, I consider it the first Muscle Car! Either way I restore this car, I plan on having it appear authentic(blackwall tires, original colors,etc)Thanks for any help....

Comments

• Shame on you. You are going to make the purists upset. Basically same car. 8 cylinder is longer of course. Only diff. I remember is larger brakes on 8, but may be the same on long wheelbase 6. If I can get to it I will check my 33 parts book. I will say this, If you found all thoses original pieces, you snatch them quick. also headlites were diff. 6cyl smaller.
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    you're missing a MAJOR component, the "one off" V-front radiator used on the 8.
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    The Terraplane 8 chassis is longer in the front, so you have no chance of shoehorning an 8 into the 6 frame.

Geoff.
  • Geoff correct me if I am wrong, he has a long wheelbase 6 which has the correct 113" wheelbase
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It's true the Terraplane 6 and Terraplane 8 both had 113" wheelbase chassis in 1933, but the chassis have different numbers for 6 and the 8. It may be that the radiator and mounts have just been moved back for the 6, as in '46-47. The relative position of the rear engine mount would be the same. We shall most likely have to get the two cars side be side and measure thing sup to come to a conclusion!

Geoff.
  • terraplane8
    terraplane8 Senior Contributor
    I think the KU had quite a space between the front of the engine and the back of the radiator core whereas the T8 there was little space, just enough for the water pump and fan. That is where the difference is likely to be given that they are both 113" wheelbase.

I also seem to recall reading that non-original T8's that had been made up out of T6's were something to be careful to watch out for.
  • "I also seem to recall reading that non-original T8's that had been made up out of T6's were something to be careful to watch out for."

Watch out for in a good way? Like "watch out, that Terraplane 8 is flying down the road!"

or bad? Like "watch out for that Terrapart, it's flying apart!"

Have a nice day

Steve
  • Got to thinking about this late last evening. Its been many years since I accually have seen a long wheelbase 6 and I know the front motor mounts are diff, but I seem to remember that the 6's had a mount on the frame side whilst the 8's are on the frame diaginals.
  • The 6 cyl. also has an extension on the water pump. Check about 6" in front of your 6 mounts and you may find the spots for the 8 cyl. mounts
  • Thanks for the help.I did not know about the radiator being unique to the 8 cylinder.That might put the kabosh on it for now, but maybe I should buy what I can at this point.He even has a pair of sidemount fenders!Also owns a gorgeous original ET 8 sedan I can compare the engine mounting like Tom pointed out. I'll keep you "posted" on any progress.
  • oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    in response to Terraplane 8's comment, YES, several of the "high buck" T8 convertibles, inc. one Everett Hudson owned, & that have been auctioned off for "big bucks" were "made up" from T6s!

also in re to various questions in re the chassis, the w.b. length is the same but the holes etc. for the front motor mounts & rad. are different between the 6 & 8 as the 8 engine much longer.
  • There is a great deal of distance between the fan and radiator on the LWB 6. I would think the radiator mounts in the same location, otherwise the grille shell would also be moved forward? The front sheet metal is the same between the LWB 6 and the 8, the extra lentgh in wheelbase is firewall forward.
This discussion has been closed.