painting chrom

Jay_G
Jay_G Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I just got some bumpers and other parts chromed and the guy at the shop said to paint the back side. Well started to tape things off with the blue painters tape and it pulled the chrome plate right off. Any ideas on how to paint the back side with out overspray on the front?

oh, the chromer is going to re-chrome the piece, but what a pain in the butt.

Jay

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Well, first of all, the tape shouldn't lift the chrome. So you shouldn't have to worry about that. (If it happens again, look for another plater!) Another way is simply to spray it, then (fairly soon thereafter) wipe any excess paint off the chrome with paint or lacquer thinner.
  • Jay G wrote:
    I just got some bumpers and other parts chromed and the guy at the shop said to paint the back side. Well started to tape things off with the blue painters tape and it pulled the chrome plate right off. Any ideas on how to paint the back side with out overspray on the front?

oh, the chromer is going to re-chrome the piece, but what a pain in the butt.

Jay
    If the chrome comes off with tape... I would be taking a look at the fellas process ... more importanly ... unless you just need to use this guy... I would find another plater after I got my money back. Chrome comes off when the metal being plated is not properly prepared and/or plating is not sufficently balanced... there are real problems here...

Good Luck.

Ken
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    I can see a potential problem if you applied duct tape as the masking, but blue painter's tape shouldn't even pull the hat off your head, much less the expensive chrome that you paid good money for. Jon B and Ken's replies are right on target- especially on chrome, you have plenty of time to get rid of overspray, and its probably easier to do it that way than to try to mask everything.
This discussion has been closed.