HUDSON - Modified windshield wipers

mrsbojigger
mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I am having to use something different in place of the original wipers since I have the flat firewall and I will not have any holes in it for the old cables. I have tried a couple of things. Two problems to overcome are, 1.) the great curve in the windshield and 2.) the V-shaped trough under the windshield.

1. The windshield curve puts the two wiper transmissions at a greater angle from each other than on other cars which binds when using any type of mechanical linkage. I have tried using a New Port Engineering 12-volt motor and bracket with heim fittings at all 4 ends of the mechanical linkages but then everything gets "loosy goosey". Plus, the wiper motor doesn't want to go back to "park" when it is cut off. It has been sent back to the factory and readjusted but this only worked temporarily.

2. The trough below the windshield is so large it keeps me from placing any wiper transmissions up close to the cowl such as the Specialty Power Windows unit.

Possible solutions:

1. Notch the V-shaped trough up to where the windshield mounting rubber begins (about half way) and then try to use the Specialty Power Windows unit. This would hinder the trough from being used for what it was originally indended for, water drainage. I don't know if this notching would cause a problem when taking out or installing the windshield.

2. Use Russell Chilton's idea of 2 separate motors one for each side such as the ones used on T-bucket Rods. Might still have an interference problem with the trough the windshield sits in.

Any other ideas?

Chaz

Comments

• I don't know if you have seen them but some one, one of the rod suppliers, makes a cable controlled wiper set up that mounts under the dash and the heads should go thru the cowl like the originals. You may have to modify the openings for the wiper heads but that should not be too difficult. These have a single plastic clad cable that runs to each wiper head. If I can think of, or find where I saw them I will post it here.

Bob Hickson
  • mrsbojigger
    Good morning Bob,

Thanks. The unit you are thinking of is from SPW. Their unit is very nice. I have already talked to their tech guy about installing them in a Hudson. He just groaned. He said that it has been done but the dimensions of the transmission box (hits the drain trough) causes the wiper shaft to be placed quite a bit aways from the windshield. I made a mockup from their dimensions and tried it. I wasn't that happy with the results. It does place the shaft farther away from the windshield than I felt comfortable with. If I can't come up with something better this unit will be the way to go though.

Thanks again for replying.

Chaz
  • how about 2 individual elec wiper motors on individual switches, this way you hav e way to get then in sync.

A friend of mine that built a stepdown street-rod did it in this manner, and by the way, I'm glad to see that I am not the only HUDSON street-rodder, I'm presently building a 2 door hard-top (hollywood)
  • mrsbojigger
    Hi Bill,

Thats my thinking too. If you have read some of the other posts, I am getting a 1990 Jeep Wagoneer motor to try out. I should be receiving it mid-week. I may carry the switch thing a step farther so I can operate them from inside or remotely and to be in sync or alternating to surprise the judges at car shows. My Hudson in the process of becoming a 2-door hardtop. Quite a job since I am starting with a 4-door. I already have the rear panels and doors from a coupe. By the way this is the place to find the Hudson "modifiers".

Chaz
  • Hi Chaz, that sounds like quite a project 4 to 2 doors! Awesome, how are you going to do it? Is that 90 Jeep motor an inline 6 or V8? Auto tranny?

Me......I'm looking to rent a car dolly or try and find someone here with a car trailer.....gotta run my thru motor vehicle dept. so they can verify the VIN, then it can be titled. Don't really want to cruise thru with the LT1 in case someone is smart enough to recognize it. Here all pre-72's are exempt from smog tests!

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    jsrail wrote:
    Hi Chaz, that sounds like quite a project 4 to 2 doors! Awesome, how are you going to do it? Is that 90 Jeep motor an inline 6 or V8? Auto tranny?

Me......I'm looking to rent a car dolly or try and find someone here with a car trailer.....gotta run my thru motor vehicle dept. so they can verify the VIN, then it can be titled. Don't really want to cruise thru with the LT1 in case someone is smart enough to recognize it. Here all pre-72's are exempt from smog tests!

Jay

Jay do they have specific laws there in AZ about what motors/emissions for pre '72? I know here in WA that only the year of vehicle is what determines testing. So here I can put a gas turbine in something that is 25+ years old and it doesn't matter!

But - your comments made me think about something for anyone hot-rodding a car these days really has to do - KEEP ALL YOUR RECEIPTS!

The State Police WILL want to know where that LT1 motor and transmission, sheet metal, stereo system, etc... came from - especially a car like my 49 that hasn't seen pavement for 35+ years.

I wonder how long this hot-rodding-anti-emission-testing-joyride will last with states like CA starting to go after builders like BC et. al. for building cars like a "34" coupe with all new parts and a fiberglass body and trying to license as a 34?
  • Dan, the only think I heard was the vehicle's year of manufacture. For instance, my old 85 Jimmy had to have the smog equipment installed and operating which came on an 85 Truck. Obviously ours didn't come with any smog, so I think I'm safe. I'm not sure if they are going to worry about year of the engine, but we do have "reconstruction" titles here which is what I want to avoid. I have heard they have only been issuing Recon titles on vehicles with no titles with obvious modifications, new construction, and the like. I was able to title a 41 Knucklehead I had here, but they looked up the engine number and could see it was a 1941. We are still kind of the wild west here (legal to carry guns around in public, etc.) but as more and more out-of-staters come here, we may see things changing here too.

But I don't want to push my luck! :-) My motto is "better safe than sorry!"

Jay
  • Jay, stay away from the "recon" title at all costs!! In most states, that would be a 'branded' title to indicate that the car had been a total loss before. Don't want to go down that road!!!
  • mrsbojigger
    Jay,

Same thing here in Texas. Stay away from "recon". Register it as what year the car actually is, OR as an antique to get "antique" plates if you are not going to use it as a daily driver. I registered my Hudson as an antique. In Texas I didn't even have to take it down for an inspection before they issued my plates and I am exempt from taking State Vehicle Inspections. Either way the '51 is exempt from all the smog stuff regulations due to it's age. I can do what I want. I do have an LS 1 engine for it. Besides its going to burn clean as any of the other non-smoggers.

Also Jay, we were talking about wiper problems on a flat firewall. The Jeep motor I was refering to is for the windshield wipers. Should know more by Wednsday.

Chaz
  • Yup! Not going to go the "recon" way. That's why its going to get trailered to the MVD. Chaz, unfortunately, we still have to have a VIN inspection on any vehicle coming from out-of-state. My 50 Coupe is from Mass. But they only inspect the VIN, we don't have inspections of brakes, etc. You just have to have a VIN that matches and smog test (if applicable).

If mine titles as a 1950, it will be exempt from smog. Thats why I'm going to have the VIN inspected before I remove the engine and too much of the front end, so there is no mistaking it.

Should have known you were only talking about the wiper motor! Its that lack of short-term memory cells catching up with me again! Or maybe its the cold medicine.....my toddler is in day care now and he is forever sick and giving it to us!

Jay
This discussion has been closed.