Back from Las Vegas!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Been down to Vegas to the SEMA show. Got lots of pics and more ideas to use on the Essex project. Actually saw a Tucker Torpedo hot rod!! Now that takes balls to cut one of them up. I will post pics when my photos come back.Thousands of cars, no Hudson or Essex cars. Sure would like to finish mine and then drive it down. I actually got to shake hands with Boyd Coddington, feel like a teenage girl at a Donny Osmond concert! Did lots of research on frames, and new hemi motors for you guys. Anybody that says hot rods are a passing phase have never been to a show like this. Saw Fooses Ridler award roadster. Will post pics too, I was afraid to even breath on it it was so perfect. I just have to keep on track with the daily driver idea, I can see how easily it would be to go overboard, chrome, billet, four wheel this, hi po that, dream it up and it is available. Better go get another beer, starting to ramble and froth at the mouth!

Comments

• Can't wait to see the pics! I was there on the 3rd for my client's 40th B-Day party. Didn't realize that SEMA was still going on and never got to make it over there......my loss! Maybe next year, I'm only an hours flight away.

Jay
  • dsLooking forward to Pixcs I lilke all Hudsons, even Hot Rods bill albright
  • bill a wrote:
    dsLooking forward to Pixcs I lilke all Hudsons, even Hot Rods bill albright

Way to Go, Bill. I didn't figure you for a hot rod guy. Ever have a Hudson just too bad to save and hot rodded it?

Russell
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    hemiEssex wrote:
    Been down to Vegas to the SEMA show. Got lots of pics and more ideas to use on the Essex project. Actually saw a Tucker Torpedo hot rod!! Now that takes balls to cut one of them up. I will post pics when my photos come back.Thousands of cars, no Hudson or Essex cars. Sure would like to finish mine and then drive it down. I actually got to shake hands with Boyd Coddington, feel like a teenage girl at a Donny Osmond concert! Did lots of research on frames, and new hemi motors for you guys. Anybody that says hot rods are a passing phase have never been to a show like this. Saw Fooses Ridler award roadster. Will post pics too, I was afraid to even breath on it it was so perfect. I just have to keep on track with the daily driver idea, I can see how easily it would be to go overboard, chrome, billet, four wheel this, hi po that, dream it up and it is available. Better go get another beer, starting to ramble and froth at the mouth!

Early this year I actually thought (more like dreamed...) I would make this SEMA show in Vegas with my 49. But unlike the oil companies I have NOT been raking in excessive profits the last 6 months and my ongoing lack of work over the summer and continuing into the winter has eaten into my car budget :mad:

Thanks for the report and I also can't wait to see some pictures!

• I sure would like to see a hot rod Essex....R.V.
  • Way to go Bill! I agree, Hudsons in any form are great to drool over. The Tucker hotrod was built from one of the two dozen or so fiberglass bodies made for the movie, "Tucker" that was made in the 80's, I think.
  • I have a friend that has a 29 essex street-rod, He built it back in the early to mid 80's,

hudson got rid of the wood in the bodies 5-10 years before anyone else did it, I particularily like the way the door panels slid down into a track, and the heavy duty door hinges to keep the doors from sagging.
  • This is a pic of my 1928 Essex coupe that I will be rodding. It is a solid all steel body. My plans are:

2 x 3 tube frame (already built for the car)

9in ford rear with triangulated four bar

rear coil over shocks

4 wheel lincoln disc braking

Mustang 11 front end (better for highway crusing than straight axle)

front coil over shocks

1958 354 Chrysler Firepower hemi - 4 barrel carb, mild cam, headers etc.Finned aluminum covers, red engine block and red accents.

700R4 Automatic for cruising

Full Fenders and bumpers, no roof chop, small enough inside already

No hood

SS firewall to show off the hemi

Wide whites with red steelie wheels

Solid gloss black

Red and black tuck and roll interior, rumbleseat done to match, my daughters enjoy riding in it!

Skulls head shifter

All cowl lights, stock headlights and chrome wind wings

Chrome door handles and bumpers and rad shell with gloss black shutters and red pinstiping(hot rod style)

The idea is to keep the Essex looks, give it a nostalgia rod feel, make it look different (hemi powered instead of chevy) and build a nice highway driving car. But when you see it, you will know it is not a Ford or Chevy but an Essex. My dream is to do the hotrod power tour and enjoy the car with out breaking the bank to build it. It was a gift from my father, he wants to see it made into a nice rod as well. He even helped me get the hemi, which i found in an old military air compressor.

I am sure I will never see another one the same as mine!!! I hope you guys will be supportive and not negative as some purists are, but I think rodding a car is just as cool as restoring and believe that cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed and seen!!
This discussion has been closed.