Seatbelts in a Step Down

50C8DAN
50C8DAN Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I am sure that someone has put shoulder belts in a step down. Any suggestions of where to get them and to install them?

Thanks

Dan

Comments

• hdsn49
    hdsn49 Senior Contributor
    Check out Juliano's at www.julianos.com They have both lap and shoulder belts available
  • Looking at Juliano's catalog, they have lap belts that come in 58, 60, and 74 inch lengths. For a 1949 Commodore, what length seat belt would you recommend? Thanks for your help--

lee
  • Contact Duke Marley, (He's in the roster) He has a three point setup in his 49 coupe that looks as if it came from the factory. Don't kow where he got them or who put them in but they look original

Bob
  • 50C8DAN
    50C8DAN Senior Contributor
    This place looks like it has about everything you could need for seat belts!

http://www.gotbelts.com/products.html
  • Just got my seat belts from Juliano's yersteday. The reason I ordered so early is I need to weld the bolt bracket to the pillar before I start priming.

Has anyone put a set in a stepdown sedan? That hole where the light switch goes on the pillar seems the perfect spot to insert the bolt. It is not feasable right now to put the seats back in as suggested in the directions.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Seatbelts, schmeet-belts...who needs em?

But seriously does anyone out there run their stepdowns on the road without seatbelts and if so what experiences have you had so far with the law, insurance and/or accidents?
  • Seatbelts, schmeet-belts...who needs em?

But seriously does anyone out there run their stepdowns on the road without seatbelts and if so what experiences have you had so far with the law, insurance and/or accidents?

I just put seatbelts in ours this weekend. We went with HR&CS lap belts with the polished buckle because they have a good "retro" look to them. The reason we put them in was because of the little one (hopefully another will follow soon). That way we can strap in their chairs. As far as the cops go, I've never been stopped without having the little ones strapped in, but I have been stopped before w/o the little ones in the car and without me strapped in, and it was not an issue . . . of course I'm referring to being in a car that did not originally have seat belts.

If it wasn't for the little people, we wouldn't have installed belts at all.

Russell
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    I have never heard of a state requiring belts in antique cars that never had them installed from the factory. Nor have I noticed lower rates on my antique insurance because I installed belts on my car.

Nevertheless, I installed seat belts in my Terraplane about ten years ago and don't regret it. Three months ago, for example, I was driving the Terraplane down a 4-lane highway at 60 mph when some fool pulled out from a cross street right into my path. No time to pray, swear, think, or make an evasive move. I simply reflexively locked the brakes and skidded (somewhat sideways) through the intersection, barely missing the fool's car. One does not plan for such accidents, and one cannot guarantee that one will survive them with belts. But why tempt fate?

Think of that family of five cruising in a borrowed Duesenberg in Ann Arbor earlier this year, when they were hit by a car coming out of a side street. The Duesy rolled several times, ejecting everyone onto the pavement. Both parents and their 8-year-old son killed on the spot and two little girls orphaned. One would have thought that the actuarial statistics were "with" anyone driving anything as rare as a Duesenberg, but unfortunately life doesn't work that way. I'd advise seat / shoulder belts for anyone driving an antique car unless it's just off a trailer at a car show.
This discussion has been closed.