manifold part number question

ArtS
ArtS Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone have a copy of a '55 or '56 Hudson parts catalog handy and willing to look up two 308 manifold numbers for me? I have an intake number 307093 and exhaust number 307049. Neither one show up in my '52-'54 catalogs. Can anyone tell me what year motor donated these parts? Thanks. ArtS.

Comments

• Art

I have individual year, group and master parts manuals as well as the numerical updates sent out during each year to update the parts manuals. I have checked all these manuals and the part numbers you are asking about DO NOT show in any of my literature. I made a special effort to check the Severe Use data and they are not there either. The part number on the exhaust manifold is so close to the Hornet with Twin H for 7 series cars 307091 that you might surmise a later casting? But I cannot find any definitive use of these part numbers describing Exhaust and Intake manifolds.

Good Luck
  • THE 093 NUMBER IS THE STOCK TWIN h INTAKE. WHAT AMAZES ME IS THE SAME NUMBER APPEARS ON THE iNTAKE FOR THE hORNET WITH THE LARGER CARBS AS WILTH THE wASP TWIN h WITH SMALLER CARBS, SAME NUMBERS BUT DIFFERENT STUD POSITIONS FOR TWO DIFFERENT CARB SETUPS, FOUND THIS OUT ONE TIME AFTER RESTOREING AND MOUNTING MANIFOLD AND TRYING TO BOLT ON hORNET CARBS ON THE WASP STUDS. NEVER FORGOT THAT FACT, BILL ALBRIGHT
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Been there, done that! I guess it's just a casting number and can be machined to fit either carbs. I had to bore and redrill studs on one after I had the Hornet carbs all built up. Just another little stumbeling block along the way to having funnnnn.

Dave w.
  • ArtS
    ArtS Expert Adviser
    Well, the spare 093 intake I've got has studs that match up with the WA-1 968S Twin H carbs used for the 52 and 53 Hornets. The 093 number matches the one currently on my 53 Twin H Hornet. But my car also has a cast iron head from a '56 and the original matching numbers block has been machined to accept the larger 1/2 in head bolts. Hence, my interest in trying to determine donor years for the various motor parts. Guess the casting numbers are a little confusing. I suspect that a lot of reconditioned 308 motors out there have been assembled from parts of various vintages. I will be visiting Dave Kostansek later this month to drop off a water pump for a rebuild and maybe he'll have some manifolds around the shop that I can compare with. Also, there are usually quite a few Twin H Hudsons at the Lancaster, OH show every June. I'll pay attention to what casting numbers show on those cars. The exhaust manifold casting number is on the bottom side so unless I crawl under the car, that part of the story will remain locked in mystery. Maybe I'll bring a small hand mirror along. Thanks to all for the help.
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    As far as I know, all the '56 Twin-H manifolds (and 55?) had the balance tube cast in rather than bolted on. My speculation is that made for a better fit in the narrow Nash engine compartment.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    dwardo99 wrote:
    As far as I know, all the '56 Twin-H manifolds (and 55?) had the balance tube cast in rather than bolted on. My speculation is that made for a better fit in the narrow Nash engine compartment.

Exactly, and the two bbl manifolsd wont fit at all.

Dave w.
This discussion has been closed.