I need help with Engine indification

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Hi out ther I am a guy from Sweden who is up to restore a 52 hudson hornet that i bought from Carlifornia this summer. I have just start to take the enigne apart but it´s something thats not correct I have hydralics lifters and the marks on the pistons arent right.I have engine serial number horizontal on left( driver) side first a little plate it says D 125 belowe 5325009 under it says CWC

The engine heads SUPER DOME 308 under number 5325011

Just wonder if some one can help me with this maybe the engine is from a later hudson 55-56?

Jan Pettersson Sweden

Comments

• Your engine is a 1955 308. It is generally considered to be a slightly upgraded block than the 1951-54 because of extra ribs in the castin above the pan rail.

Good luck with your Hornet!! Keep us posted on the progress.
  • Thanks backtohudson now i can search for parts for the right year. I only have manuals who cover 48-54 i think i need some manuals on the 55 engine
  • dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the hydraulic lifters make it a '56. It should also have 1/2 inch head bolts. The specs for the engine are largely the same.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    I have been told that all the internals are the same (dimensions) with the exception of the cam and lifters.. That would make the timing chain and distributor drive last a bit longer since the hyudraulic lifters put a lot less stress on the valve train.The 1/2" studs should have been done in 51, but hindsight is alway better.. LOL.

Dave w
  • I believe that the factory replacement engines in late 1955 had hydraulic lifters. But everybody's right, all 1955-56 308s have 1/2" head bolts. All the internals will interchange including cam and lifters if you keep the proper lifters with the proper cam, although I couldn't imagine why somebody would want to change from hyd to solid on a Hudson.
  • The reason for the hyd. lifters in the 56 hash was because of adjusting the valve lash. Almost had to pull the engine on the 55 and 56 to adjust the valves on the Hudson 6
This discussion has been closed.