Essex Speedabout on ebay

Comments

• Absolutely beautiful!! Wish it were mine even though I don't really go for the cars from the 20's. I hope you get it!
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Beautful boattail. I'd like to own something from the '20's but being 6'7" tall I'm not sure I'd fit in it. I know for a fact I don't fit in the pickups.
  • This one makes at least 4 we know about - two of them are here in New England, one restored, one not but running. Wonder where the one in Florida went off to after it's owner passed away recently.

Hudsonly,

Alex B
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    There are four of these in New Zealand, all right hand drive of course (the way all decent cars should be).

Geoff.
  • Ok, so make it 8!!! NEXT!!!!!

Hudsonly,

Alex b
  • essex6
    essex6 Expert Adviser
    There was one in Columbus, Ohio being rodded 7 years ago. I bought the running gear from it.

Essex6
  • Nevada Hudson
    Nevada Hudson Senior Contributor
    There was one at the Ponderosa Ranch up at Lake Tahoe,but the ranch was sold a year ago and no one around here knows what happened to the car collection.
  • bob ward
    bob ward Senior Contributor
    What is the sheet metal enclosure over part of the head and down the RH side of the engine? Some sort of quick warm up device?
  • I think that's the heater.

Have a nice day

Steve
  • I bought a 28 in pieces 38 years ago out of Rock Springs Wy.Supposely they did not make them in 28, but they did, which was verified by Harrahs, they had one too. 28 had a small double bead on the sides, Sold it to a fellow who tryed to pass the pieces off as a 29 , heard it was in Southern Maryland? I sold a windshield frame to a fellow in Florida several years ago.
  • Should be a manifold heater--very dangerous in a closed car.

Russell
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    It's officially called a "hot air stove" in the Owner's manual, and it is for supplying heated air to the carburettor. It has pivoting slides by the curved intake pipe to the carb, the idea you can supply hot air with both shut, warm air with either one open, or cold air with both open. Not a good idea to put hot air into the carb, as it adversely affects volumetric efficiency, but it does stop the cab intake from freezing over on a frosty morning.

Geoff.
This discussion has been closed.