29 Hudson street rod

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I am looking for some gauges that would fit into the beautiful pinecone insert in my dash. It's really small, but such a great part of the interior. I would like to get some digitals that are about 2" diameter. Does anyone know where i might find some?

Comments

• Check out Classic Guages in Oregon. They make just about anything. They will custom make guages for you but can get a bit pricey. Let's see some photos!!
  • I know it says "Town Sedan", but it's really a standard sedan...The pics are at

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/27husdontownsedan.msnw
  • Years ago, I helped a friend of mine build his 29 essex, we took new modern gauges and mounted them BEHIND the original gauge bezels, worked real well and looked real good, I don't see why you couldn't get dakota digital units and do the same thing, however, if you haven't experienced digital gauges before, look before you buy, they seem to be very erratic in their display, they jump and shift around a lot.
  • ARangel, a sweet ride!! What's your front suspension and what are you going to put under the rear?

Jay
  • Hey Jay, thanks... That's a Pinto front end and a Camaro rear. If you want to know more technical details, I'll have to have the boyfriend tell me.
  • Bill, I've looked at the size of Dakota Digitals, and they only don't have a complete set that are smaller than 2" diameter. The Essex dash is different from mine and allows more room for larger gauges. Thanks for the advice, Dakota Digital is an excellent choice for gauges. They have some really stylin' gear!
  • Backtohudsons, Do they offer an online store? or a catalog? I live in Arkansas, and don't get to Oregon much. I would like to check out what Classic Guages in Oregon has to offer.
  • Classicinstruments.com Sorry, mis-quoted. On-line catalog should help you. I hope you really enjoy your rod!!
  • Just viewed the pics of your '29 sedan in progress and it looks like it's coming along fine. I am also just starting a new rod project, a '28 4 door sedan and I'm interested in what you plan to do with the roof. I'm planning on doing mine over with metal instead of fabric. I'd also like more info on the Pinto front susspension. (width, year,brakes etc. ). Did you use the original Hudson rear springs for the camaro rear ?
  • Well the top we aren't gonna go with original wood either. Right now we are shaving down some foam to be able to make a fiberglass mold and go from there. I don't believe we used all of the original parts with the suspension, I will have to ask "the man" of this project to answer that. He is the one doing the mechanics of it...I am still sanding, and sanding....
  • sach28 wrote:
    Just viewed the pics of your '29 sedan in progress and it looks like it's coming along fine. I am also just starting a new rod project, a '28 4 door sedan and I'm interested in what you plan to do with the roof. I'm planning on doing mine over with metal instead of fabric. I'd also like more info on the Pinto front susspension. (width, year,brakes etc. ). Did you use the original Hudson rear springs for the camaro rear ?

I used a 78 pinto front end just the same as a mustange two. i cut it down the center and think i added about 3.3/4 inches in the middle depends on how much u need not sure on a 28! One good thing about the pinto and the mustange u can get any thing u need for it! The roof now thats another story im using foam and shapping it to what i wont then im gonna fiberglass and cover it! if u would like pics just send me a msg and i will send u some!!!!!!!!!!ok! I forgot the back end i used about a 86 camaro rearend i just took a couple leefs out and put it in which should give me about the right stance i hope!!!!!!
  • ARANGEL,

Since my last post, I decided to go with a TCI front clip with coil overs. I'm in the process of selecting a rear end for it now, however I don't plan on using the original rear springs because of the weird angle that they are installed originally. I.m going to go with coil overs ,or just plain coils, with a S-10 rear if it fits.

Sach.
  • it should work im gonna use the old springs just becous i like the way they went i think it should work! I used a camaro not shure of the dif but it lookes like it will fit good with tires on it. the reason i used it the most is it came with the car i took apart to get the motor and trany. which it does have disc on it to so a good plus on my part.
  • Just had to put some more about the roof in its comming along good i got the foam cut and the top layer of faberglass on now just got to pull apart and trim and put the wood in to brace it good!!!!!!!!
  • What is the width of your Camaro rear from the wheel mounting flanges. I've come to the conclusion that the S-10 rear is too wide to fit under the fenders, and I'll be looking for other options.

Thanks, Sach
  • The Hudson Car is bigger than the essex I think. And slightly wider. The essex was a smaller copy of the hudson so everthing should be smaller. You will probably have a fun time finding a suitable GM rear unless you can buy a donor car. As you stated you like GM products, and do not favor a ford rear, I am mopar all the way but for cost and ease of installation, availability and the proper size, I think you should seriously consider the 8.8 Explorer. It is even narrower than a Camaro rear and available with a good road gear, also there are 1000s in the junk yards now. They even have factory installed rear discs. Just my 2 cents.

Steve
  • Oh yea also the fiberglass top is a great Idea. My essex was done with fiberglass and it has been on there for 20+ years with no visible changes. It does not deteriorate like wood etc and can be sanded to any shape. Also if you put a layer of Tyrolene(synthetic felt) you can give it the factory padded look that they had originally. The old roofs where filled with raw cotton felt. It gathered moisture and the mice loved it. A fiberglass top and synthetic felt will look and last great.!!

Steve
  • i will try and get the specs of the camero rear tomarrow im tired tonight just got the motor running again and put the front brakes on at lest on tonight!
  • Rick,

Thanks for the rear end chart. I've seen that before on another site but am wondering how accurate it is. I'd like to get a measurement from someone who can give me an actual measuremant of the rear from wheel flange to wheel flange. ( already purchased one I can't use )

Sach
  • I have 68 Camaro rear axle under my 29 essex. It doesn't look too bad. It would probably fit better under the Hudson if it is indeed wider.

You can see at pic of it at http://www.nucwa.com/sx3.jpg

GaryB
  • Sorry the link it messed up. Try this one and click on the bottom center pic for a full size view. http://nucwa.com/page7.html

Garyb
  • The .308 is great. Gas mileage is somewhere around 15 -17 range. The only difference in the trans is the shift kit. It works real well with the setup. As far as using the original spring setup, I made my own spring perches out of some 3 inch square tubing. The engine is basically stock with a mild cam and an Edelbrock carb and manifold. The car weighs about 2800# and it won't hardly spin a tire. It just squats and goes. I believe the the angled springs help with the traction alot.

The teardrop trailer I built a couple years ago. I still haven't finished the interior. I work construction and travel alot. I try to drive the essex wherever I go and I built the trailer to carry my junk with me and sleep in if I had to.

Gary
This discussion has been closed.