Side-View Mirrors and Visor on '53 Hornet?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Quick question...

I have a fully restored '53 Hornet sedan.

Wonderful car and a complete joy to drive except for one detail... No side-view mirrors. I've seen some stepdowns with side-views, so I know they can be added. I'm assuming that they shouldn't be too hard to slap on. Haven't looked yet... Are there mount points on the doors?

Also, while we're on the subject of external add-ons... How hard is it to find a visor? And is it difficult to install?

Note I also want to keep the car totally period-correct. I think these were dealer add-ons?

dave

Comments

• Hudson used two types of outside mirrors. There was the door/fender mounted ones which used two screws to mount to the door skin or fender. Then there was the door frame clip on type which just clipped on to the door on the front edge. The clip on type is the most common and they usually are available on EBay.

Visors pop up occasionally on EBay, usually around $250-$300. They are pretty easy to install as they clip on to the center windshield post and the drip rails.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I HAVE SOME NEW MIRRORS THAT LOOK ALMOST LIKE THE ORIGNALS THERE $35 EACH WITH SHIPPING THERE ARE SOME PHOTS OF THE MIRRORS ON MY 50 PACEMAKER

http://groups.msn.com/HudsonEssexTerraplaneBulletinBoard/50hudsonpcvrestobaby.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1679

CONTACT ME AT

HETHUDSON1957@AOL.COM

BE SURE AND DROP THE HET FROM MY EMAIL ADDRESS IT KEEPS THE SPAMERS AWAY
  • Hil Paul mirror looks OK but you have it mounted to low. orig mirrors were mounted about on half inch from stainless closer to top of door. I have sold hundreds of mirrors for stepdowns and have them in stock for 30 each fit left or right side. have them on all my stepdowns, dont like the clamp ons as they destroy the paint, mirrors come with rubber base gasket and screws, BILL ALBRIGHTS VINTAGE COACH, 16593 aRROW bL, fONTANA, CA, 92335 EMAIL albrighthudsons@msn.com also have Hudson outside visor for 450.00
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    No Mirrors and No Seatbelts - Ahhhh those were the days before the government decided to protect us! :D

Mirrors

Sorry can't help with side mirrors - my 49 didn't have any either. I'm rodding mine a bit so opted to go with IR color rear view cameras that have custom housings that will be similar to mirror. I think I am going to mount them on the back-top of the front fenders so that the cameras aren't slamming around everytime I open and close the door (another good reason not to use the 'clip on' style mirrors)

Visor

Big Jims in Texas used to sell fiberglass reproduction visors - but I just checked their website and it is not listed anymore? Maybe shoot them an email.

I bought one from them and it seems to be good enough for a fiberglass replacement. It came with the center mount and side brackets.

Then I ended up buying a steel one on ebay but it didn't come with brackets.

So right now I have the fiberglass one I would part with for 50.00+ shipping - but there are no brackets. I'm sure Big Jims could hook you up with the brackets.

Steel original visors from what I have seen are going for 175-300.00

Big Jims also has some retro mirrors that might be close enough to take a look at

http://www.bigjims.net
This discussion has been closed.