'Nuther Ebay Scam

SuperDave
SuperDave Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Buyer Beware... :eek: I just sold a 1930 Model A Ford on ebay motors. One of my bidders got a notice that appeared to be through ebay. it was a "second chance" to buy the car because the winning bidder had backed out!! Of course the money would have to be sent to someone other than me..The bidder sent me an email asking if the offer was legit.. NOT! I notified ebay immediatly.

I wonder when these scammers will start to do some prison tme?

Dave w.

Comments

• The scammers will go to prison when ebay gets serious about fixing its problems. That will happen after ebay loses several million dollar plus lawsuits. Now that ebay is a multi-billion dollar operation, the lawyers are waiting in ambush.

Have a nice day

Steve
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    If I ever do another sale of a high dollar item I will use that option. I didn't understand the positive aspects of keeping the bidders secret, It seemed kind of Covert, but now I see why.. This is only the second time I've sold a car on Ebay. The first time was a pain in the ars, but this time it went smoothly.... so far. got my fingers crossed as I say it.

Another day older and wiser. Are we having fun yet?
  • I see the "private auction" being used mostly as a way for the seller to disguise his bidding up his own item. This is one of the biggest problems on ebay today and I never bid on private auctions.

Have a nice day

Steve
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    smcmanus wrote:
    I see the "private auction" being used mostly as a way for the seller to disguise his bidding up his own item. This is one of the biggest problems on ebay today and I never bid on private auctions.

Have a nice day

Steve

I agree - but its not always the bidder. A lot of times it just some bum out there bidding the price up to see what the reserve is and they have not intention of buying the car. Or worse some punk kid playing around...

Based on my vehicle sales attempts on ebay and related problems with those scum out there - I'll never do it again. For 45.00 I can run an ad in Auto-Trader - nationwide and online - with pictures until it sells. Ebay is a minimum 80-100.00 to list the auto - freaking ridiculous!

If I have a REALLY nice car - I'd try to get it to BJ's or a similar high profile CAR auction event.
  • Rambo's Master, you are correct. It is often bidders who place the bogus bids to see where the reserve is set. I have been screwed as a seller and as a buyer on ebay. When my renewal for Old Cars weekly came last year, it had a free ad offer with it. I placed an ad for a parts car I needed no more and it sold within a few days. So that seems to be a good place to sell stuff too.

Have a nice day

Steve
  • rambos_ride
    Old cars weekly - is that a local publication for you or a national one?
  • Dan:

They are a national magazine. Their web site is oldcarsweekly.com. I did a search and found other magazine sites like amazon that offer a cheaper subscription price. I have also seen their booth at swap meets, you can subscribe there.
  • Goes to show that there are no real foolproof sales methods. I did the same thing with Old Car Trader (BTW, the "Trader" franchise is a different publisher altogether). I sold the car easily enough with 10% down and remainder upon pick up. I got emails for months afterward with the scammers. I guess the best way to deal with this garbage is to use no email, no phone number and run everything through a blind (private drop) mail box.
  • rambos_ride
    PZooomer wrote:
    I sold a motorcycle via Cycle Trader, a sister publication to Old Cars Weekly...That was about 5 years ago, and I am still getting e-mail from Nigerian scumlords with their scams, all related to that one week ad.

Someone is or has mined your email from the ad or other places and its now on a list probably being passed around amongst the scum.

Thing is Cycle Trader didn't charge 100.00 to list a bike and Cycle Trader doesn't manage a membership base - unlike ebay who has ultimate say on who can belong to their system and just turns a cheek and collects millions..
This discussion has been closed.