Frame and fender repairs 1954 sedaan

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Could someone please give me an idea of the cost to repair the R & L subrails in a 1954 Hornet sedan. Both are rusted badly (about 50% gone). One won't hold the skirt without a clamp. There is also rust in the quarter panels, and a quarter sized hole in the rear main frame.

R rear fender probably needs to needs to be replaced. I haven't the foggiest as to what labor would run on above, or where I might go for such repairs. All help apprecaiated!

Comments

• There is really no way to figure the cost of your repairs mainly because of the extent of the rust. If the rails are 50% gone it is impossible to know what else is gone until you start tearing the car down. You probably looking at more money for the rust repairs than the car may be worth or more than you could buy another '54 Sedan for. You may just take a guess as to how many hours of labor it may take and check with a local body shop as to their hourly charge for labor and that would give you a ballpark. Then triple your guestimate and you should be close! LOL
  • OK, I will have to go back and pull my book and records for my '54 Hollywood. Our '54 had been hit in the left rear quarter and subsequently both rear quarters from the fenderskirts area back including the trunk floor were all rusted out. Very bad. It was bad enough that we obtained a good parts car and actually had the back clip off it replaced onto the Hollywood...not a particularly easy job considering the parts car was a 4-door and the Hollywood a 2-door. I can tell you that the car was in the shop for this work for right at 60 hours as I recall but I will have to lokk up the total cost as I forget the labor rate at the time about 3-4 years ago. We went to this extent because the rest of the car was in good shape, interior, engine, front end, etc. If you like I can send you an email with jpeg of the reconstruction. Then maybe that can help you make the decision.
  • I would appreciate the photo's very much. They can be sent to: [email="Masonw@uab.edu."]Masonw@uab.edu.[/email] THANKS!
  • OK Mason, it probably will be tomorrow evening before I can locate them and send them and that will give me time to look up the records. If I can find some photos in the next little while, I'll email them tonight.
  • This "RO" from over in north Alabama. While my passwords work ok for the chat, for some reason the postings here are "anonymous." But I will get the jpegs to you.
  • sorry, maybe that is Walter first name. Photos on the way.
  • I am in Baton Rouge, La. and I have a 1954 sedan part car that should have everything tou need to fix your car.area code225-928-7821

Will willsand54@bellsouth.net
  • When you check for rust-out, don't forget to inspect the trunk in the area near the lower lip. This can be especeially pronounced near the exhaust opening. You might be able to fill the gap with insulating foam.
  • Man, that sure looks familiar.....that's about what I had done on my '54, but more extensive.
This discussion has been closed.