Hudsonkid's Dad, register and defend your Hudson....

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Okay, let's have some fun!

this is all just some fun joking around with my dad, so enjoy.

If you all don't know... he lurks here, and keeps saying he is gonna join, but never seems to follow thru. I figure, we'll "call him out" so he will have no choice but to join...

This picture was taken yesterday morning, he decided to drive the Hudson to work. For those that do not know, it is a 52 Wasp coupe...

52wasp.JPG

Okay, let's start at the top....

A wasp? isn't that a Hornet wanna be?

Purple dice? what gives?

Is that thing twin H????

What do you call that color? is that piss yellow?

Fender skirts? where are they?

Okay... all kidding aside, I got a lot of fond memories of this car....

I am real glad that he finally got it back to running, and "stopping" as well. I can remember sanding and stripping paint on this thing, when I was around 13 years old, I was told it builds character, I guess I can laugh a bit about it now. When we bought this car, it was painted gray, had about 10 layers of paint on it, and not a single straight panel on it. (and, no, that glare on the left side behind the drivers door is just that, not any waves...) To top it all off, my dad managed to "blow it up" about 2 months into owning it. So the first order of business was a rebuild. It is a real nice restored car, and while not a number one, it really is a long way from where it started. Kind of "wow" when you think this thing has been in the family since around 1986....

Comments

• You are not going to catch me "dissing" a Wasp man! Especially when it looks that nice. It could be pink with a purple roof, fuzzy dice and dingle balls around the interior trim - as long as he gets it out and drives it!

I'm in the "keeping it on the road" category. The character building activities are ahead of me.

Go SUPER WASP!

HudRunnin.JPG

Okay, so I've slipped a little and gone "Long Hooded" as well.

IMGP0123.JPG

Tell your Dad, us newcomers need the technical expertise and enjoy the "tales from the road". So git in here and educate us.

Mark
  • Yep. I agree. Tell your dad to come and help us newbies out. I've learned more from this forum than I can even imagine. It's been a great source for info and contacts. The more the merrier . . . and GREAT looking Wasp!

Russell
  • yeah, I will probably get it from him, if he ever replies to all of this!

his first line of attack will be something along the lines of mine having two extra doors... or something... since he is fortunate to have all coupes...

nice Hudsons, Hudsonator! sometimes when i view this I get two pictures of a kid standing by a late fox bodied mustang. If anyone else has this problem, click either refresh, or click on each picture, get the properties, and copy and paste the location of each picture in the browser window, then go back. It should all be okay!

Oh well, we'll wait and see what the day brings!

In all fairness to the Hornet remark, he's got that covered, well, literally, now, for the year...

Here it is when we picked it up the other year....

52hornetfront.JPG

52hornetback.jpg
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    hudsonkid wrote:

52hornetback.jpg

I wish mine had looked like that when I started - Hudson Envy!

But yes - WHERE ARE THE SKIRTS? They're on in these early pictures - now it looks like a big black hole around the rear wheel - is he going for the "Fabulous Hudson" racing look - or just being laZy? :D
  • Gee Hudson Kid

Wasps and their predecessors Pacemakers are what it is all about. Without these cars how could the Hornets, Supers, Commodores actually be Bigger, Faster, More costly? You know as well as I do, the WASP is the foundation of value for the Hudson Stepdown line ... it allows all the other models to have place and purpose.

Attempts at humor aside... Your Dad's cars are GREAT. I am a Short Hood Stepdown fan and these cars are what clicks for me. Your Dads 52 is a very nice example of the Short Hood group. It makes me wonder why I sold my 52 Wasp Hollywood ... oh well. Undoubtedly that Hornet coupe will be a looker too when Dad finishes it.

Cheers from HOT
  • OK Ken, I wish I hadn't sold my 52 Wasp Hollywood either. I wonder if it's still out there somewhere? I sold it and my 52 Commodore 6 Sedan to a Hudson Club member from Sacramento, CA some 20 years ago. Miss them both.
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    If ya like them Wasps, I have a good 54 front clip, cowl, fenders, stub frame, including all suspension parts for sale. I have a 49 commadore parts car you could put it on and have yourself a Wasp.
  • Rambos...

those are two different cars. The red one is the Hornet, and the yellow one above is the wasp. I don't have any old "digital" pictures of the wasp, maybe I can dig one out and scan it......

Ken, I could only hope to ever find a short wheelbase coupe. Right now, I would pretty much take any short wheelbase stepdown, 50 pacemaker to a 54 wasp, superwasp, anything, I would even consider a regular coupe, no matter what it is.

Uncle Josh, is that 49 a coupe????

The Hornet was de-trimed on an old time repaint, but will go back to original when my dad gets around to it. I think the red one was bought for "evil" intentions, but the car has such a great history, and was one owner till 2003, it is too hard to mess it up. Original block, trans, etc.... nice solid car, just needed to find all of the side trim, and some chrome, window trim, seriously, how hard could it be to find 2 door 52-53 hornet side trim.........

hmmm... where is the "old guy" ???? i figured he would be on here to chime in....

I know he checks this board at least once a day....

Maybe it was too much excitement for him yesterday, I took him for a ride in my "twin H powered" 50......
  • rambos_ride
    hudsonkid wrote:

hmmm... where is the "old guy" ???? i figured he would be on here to chime in....

I know he checks this board at least once a day....

Maybe it was too much excitement for him yesterday, I took him for a ride in my "twin H powered" 50......

Since you took him for a ride in a runner he's probably hopped up on Prozac from being depressed that his rides not done yet (I know I am) :eek:

Just kidding! (please take no offense for anyone with real depression probelms that take prozac).
  • no his is done.

The wasp is his, taken on Sunday morning. It has been pretty much the same for 15+ years. It has been quietly hibernating in the garage for some time though.

he washed it though...

He just got done doing brakes on it, the other month, which were untouched from when we bought it around 86...

I think he has enjoyed being able to drive it again.

The red and white 52 hornet is a work in progress.... that's pretty much how it still looks, but the engine has been put back together, and is getting closer to being powered by it's own means, and might be off the trailer at some point early next year.

I kind of would like to compare them and see what all of the hype about a hornet is.... I think that the short wheelbase cars have better balance (the coupes, at least...)
  • Okay I'm registered. I'm not going to be tough on the "kid" as he's going to help me bring another car home this weekend. Thanks for the positive comments on the Wasp Coupe. It was our first Hudson and still one of the favorites.
  • hudsondad wrote:
    Okay I'm registered. I'm not going to be tough on the "kid" as he's going to help me bring another car home this weekend. Thanks for the positive comments on the Wasp Coupe. It was our first Hudson and still one of the favorites.

Hooray!! Welcome to the forum, Hudsondad. Glad to have you here and keep the pics coming as often as possible.

Russell Chilton
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Welcome, Dad! Glad Hudsonkid prevailed on you to join up ('and a little child shall lead them...', LOL!)
  • Yeah, but he didn't mention what we're bringing home, did he????

might get his new membership revoked around here....

he don't know how tough we are on "brand X"

I'll try to post a picture later for you guys to check it out...

probably the only one going to be up late like me is Rambos, anyway...

at least we keep the forum active overnight!
  • rambos_ride
    hudsonkid wrote:
    Yeah, but he didn't mention what we're bringing home, did he????

might get his new membership revoked around here....

he don't know how tough we are on "brand X"

I'll try to post a picture later for you guys to check it out...

probably the only one going to be up late like me is Rambos, anyway...

at least we keep the forum active overnight!

Yeah - I seem to suffer from chronic insomnia and literally get an avg of only about 3-4 hours of sleep a night.

I can't wait until I have a house with a nice garage and some property so that when I am unable to sleep I could just get up and go work on a car for a couple of hours.

Right now my neighbors frown on grinding and hammering (and swearing) out in my carport at 2 AM in the morning :D
  • Howdy

Well, I, too, am a fan of the short-hooded units. I have a '50 Pacemaker tudor sedan(Brougham), that some fool put a Chrysler front end and rear end under. I also have a '53 Hornet twin H that I am thinking of using to resto-rod the '50, using the Twin H motor. The same guy that I got these from has a '50 Commodore coupe that has a Eldo Caddie motor & trans set-up in the REAR??? Body is still all intact and it can be bought for $300 - $400. I may get it and rob the front end for my Pacemaker. Don't know, just thinkin' out loud.

Billy
  • Yeah, it's a brand X, But I'd sooner do this to a CXXXy than a Hudson. Besides, I had a craving for something pre-48 and this was too solid to pass up.
  • Yeah, I got to admit, it is a good car, maybe we could put a 308 in it????

here's a look for all those curious...

40chevy.jpg

local car, about 1.5 miles from their house. The guy that has it, it was his dad's car, and I don't know whether he knows what we plan on doing with it...

:eek:
  • rambos_ride
    Not a bad project car for a Brandx-er - what the deal though - too good of a deal to pass up? - not enough projects to keep you all busy? - or is it "THE ONE WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS!" :D :eek:
  • haha... he'll love that one...
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    Sometimes when people around your neighborhood find out you like old cars they start dumpin them on you. For those of you who don't know ask around about how the Souers family in Indiana got their Hudson collection out on their farm field ? LOL
  • Sometimes when people around your neighborhood find out you like old cars they start dumpin them on you. For those of you who don't know ask around about how the Souers family in Indiana got their Hudson collection out on their farm field ? LOL

Speaking of the Souers, I recently learned of them by an article that was written in the WTN from the late '70's. Do they still have 70+ cars? Are they still working on many of them?

Russell
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    As far as I know they still have their field of cars but they're not really working on them per se most are rusting into the ground but still have good usable parts on them here and there.....I doubt few if any have good frames on them.
  • We used to have quite the hudson roster sitting around, until the township decided they no longer appreciated a bunch of stepdown hudsons sitting around. Too bad, looking back, they probably would have been good for fixin' now. It wasn't ven that many, maybe 5 at the most.

Oh well...

Does anyone have a picture of the Souer's collection?

I would be quite curious!
  • hudsonkid wrote:
    We used to have quite the hudson roster sitting around, until the township decided they no longer appreciated a bunch of stepdown hudsons sitting around. Too bad, looking back, they probably would have been good for fixin' now. It wasn't ven that many, maybe 5 at the most.

Oh well...

Does anyone have a picture of the Souer's collection?

I would be quite curious!

Like I said, I have a WTN from the late 70's that has some pics. I'll have to scan them . . . I'll try and do it tonight and post later.

RL Chilton
  • ratlee2
    ratlee2 Expert Adviser
    All the pics of wasps, has made me want to share a couple of pictures of my superwasp I just finished painting. Hopefully the post works. If not my webpage is listed below.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ratlee/richsautopage/id9.html
  • ratlee2 wrote:
    All the pics of wasps, has made me want to share a couple of pictures of my superwasp I just finished painting. Hopefully the post works. If not my webpage is listed below.

http://home.earthlink.net/~ratlee/richsautopage/id9.html

It's lookin' great! I'll bet after 3 years, you're just dyin' to get it together now! I'm looking forward to additional assembly pics.

Russell
This discussion has been closed.