It may never happen again!

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I didn't get much of a chance to post last week, so I thought I would update LAST weekends happenings.

On Saturday afternoon and nights, there is a very informal . . . get-together of . . . cars ( I can't call it a hot rod get-together, or a street-rod get-together or even a classic get-together as there are cars of all walks of life that show up). Anyway, there was probably 100 cars and a couple hundred people for our Saturday cruise-in. We decided to take the Hornet, which we've named Doc (go figure) for the first time. Not only did we have a blast but several remarkable occurences transpired:

1) For the 3+ hours we were there, I never stopped talking to the scores of people wanting to talk about the car. I'm sure there were some people waiting to talk to me in which I didn't even get a chance to touch base. As a matter of fact, I never got the chance to walk around and check out the other rides . . . I literally never stopped talking.

2) Even though we were parked right next to a very nice '63 Vette, bright red and completely restored, there was probably never less than 6 people around our car and often 12-18 at a time, while visitors to the nice 'vette: I counted 4 for the duration.

3) If you're wondering about the title to this thread, it pertains to this bit of trivia: Remarkably, there were 3 Hudsons there, 1 right beside us and another not far away. Now, I've been going over there on Sat. nights for the last 4-1/2 years and have seen exactly 2 Hudsons, 1 stock and 1 leadsled, but NEVER seen more than one at a time and we had three there that night! . . . may never happen again (at a local weekly gathering, that is).

4) I've heard of other HUD owners mention the fact that there are lots of people out there with Hudson stories . . . I don't know how many people told me their story about how their Uncle (fill in appropriate kin title here) sold his Hudson to their father (or fill in other kin title here) and he loved that car and they got to ride in it when they were young . . . you know how those stories go. Basically, a lot of people with very fond Hudson stories out there. I loved hearing every one of them. Makes me think when HET sends me some materials, I could possibly do some recruiting . . . wouldn't be difficult.

5) Interestingly enough, it wasn't just the old-timers that were anxious to talk about the car. Many, many young people, some of which had never heard of a Hudson, were equally enthusiastic and fascinated . . . that's a real good sign, folks. Packard has been falling by the wayside for a number of years, but I don't think that Hudsons are in the same boat.

6) We've got a '32 Ford hi-boy that is due to be completed by the end of the year. It's actually lined up to attend 3 or 4 shows the first part of the year before we drive it in April. Shockingly, to me, is the fact that we have 4x more money in the '32 than we do in the Hornet. In all my years of attending cruise-ins, I've never had more fun than we did on this weekend. I'm seriously considering selling the Ford maybe even before I drive it (be worth more), even though 20 years of saving money to build it has almost finally paid off . . . I still want that Hornet convertible, more so now than ever.

Anyway, it was just a blast. It's too bad this season is rapidly wrapping up . . . oh, well, gives me a chance to work out some of the bugs and do some work on the car. :)

Russell

Comments

• dwardo99
    dwardo99 Expert Adviser
    I drive mine pretty regularly, and all I can say is, I wish it attracted young women the way it attracts old men!
  • Russell

You have been Hudsonized!

All kidding aside... I have never been able to figure out the alure of a Hudson ... they just are people magnets... and quite frankly my experience has been ... people I want to meet. Attending mixed make meets has always been the primary way I have interacted with the public. I take plenty of water to keep the throat wet as the crowd continues to check out that low slung cool looking green car....Aka my Light green Wasp sedan.

Hudson is not my only automotive interest either and without exception... the Hudson is the more popular of the cars I have owned. Giving up a 32 hi boy is a TALL order to me ... just make sure when your ego and wallet are aching ... you remember ... the HORNET is ready to make everything better again...

Cool story and thanks for sharing.
  • hi hudson dave back to you . if you like hudson stories i have a true and funny one. my wife had a 50 hudson pacemaker silver and black very nice. when we went to shows we had a little table in the back seat with a lace table cloth with an ice bucket and pink champagne two old glasses . on the seat was two dozen pink roses( artificial) to say the least it showed very well. now that i have set the stage . we were set up at a large show in medford or. when a older man and woman in there early (80) came by and looked at the car and look and look . both had a strange look kind of a gleam you might say. as that looked over the back seat very carefully i asked jokingly do you remember these cars with a smile as big as can be he said to his wife do we remember the back seat of one of these? as she turn bright red and replied we had one a long time ago. as they walked away smiling it just makes you warm and fuzzy all over that you hudson made two people go back in time for just one special moment in ther life when life was so sweet. hudson dave
  • Uncle Josh
    Uncle Josh Senior Contributor
    It'll happen again. Every time you take your Hudson to a multi-make meet.

My old original 36 Terraplane, back seats out, holes in the floor ya can throw the cat thru, holes in the back doors, and a chipping brush paint job, attracts more attention than the fully restored 57 Chivvy right beside it.
  • Aaron D. IL
    Aaron D. IL Senior Contributor
    These cars just have an undscribable mystique no question about it. I ususally keep extra HET membership forms an newsletters in my cars for those who are interested. It would be good to find all the saveable Hudson's out there good homes. Wish it were more of a babe magnent in my town... as dwardo said it attracts more old guys. But if a little kid comes along and likes the car I let them sit in it, which usually makes the jaw drop of other car folks at mixed make shows who don't want you to ruin their finish with your eyeball-prints. To me the cars are as much about people as they are about having a hobby or whatnot. Keeping a bottle of water handy it a great idea at shows too. Oh and that back seat is 64 inches across and taller than the roof of the car if you stand it on end...always a fun fact to mention. LOL
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    When I was eight years old I read a biography about Craig Breedlove which mostly outlined his land speed racing but had a chapter on his first car a chopped and channlled-supercharged-alchohol-burning 1934 Ford coupe (at 16 years old he set a Bonneville record @154 mph in the car).

Shortly after reading the book I saw a 1974 TV movie called "The California Kid" starring Martin Sheen and the sweet "California Kid" 1934 Ford 3-Window Coupe built by legendary Pete & Jakes

The California Kid

cc1.jpg

cc2.jpg

Come on now all you Hudsonites out there this IS a cool Ford and I have always loved the flame job. I HATE the wimpy-matching "crab claw" flames that "customizers" pass off these days (although I do like Mike Levalle's 'true flames' as seen on Overhaulin)

Another interesting detail is that the flames on the Kid actually appear to be coming from areas of the car that you could expect to see flames come out of - not just "magically" appearing on the surface of the car.

So for most of my childhood and nearly my whole adult life - I have wanted to get a 1934 Ford 3 or 5 window coupe - but the cost has always been outta reach.

Fast Forward a few decades...Now there is only one brand of car I want - Hudson! I will term everything from now on BH (before Hudson) or AH (after Hudson)

On September 4 2005 AH - I bought my first (and only so far) Hudson 49 Commodore. But little did I know then (BH) that in 1934, Hudson also made a 3 and 5 window coupe with better styling - that in my mind would rival or even best "The Kid"

Now don't get me wrong I LOVE my stepdown and will probably own more

than a few stepdown in whats left of my lifetime (knock on wood) - but I WILL have a 1934 Hudson Coupe in the stable at some point.

So why am I rambling on here talking about all this? I think - sell the 32 highboy and find yourself another Hudson of the same year!

Because in the end is there any better car made out there than Hudson for restoring or rodding!?
  • Has anyone seen the nice 29 Essex in this months issue of Street rod

sweeeet
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Has anyone seen the nice 29 Essex in this months issue of Street rod

sweeeet

No - Is that Street Rod Magazine - or some other?
  • No - Is that Street Rod Magazine - or some other?

Street Rod Magazine . . . just got mine yesterday.

Russell
  • All of My Experiences at mixed make shows are very Similar...Most times I'm the ONLY Hudson there and I too get the fond memory storys .

My car (54 Wasp Sedan) always attracts many many more people than the Chevys and Fords....People love to talk about the car and share their stories.....It is a real ego boost to say the least.

I'll tell yah this tho......And it drives my WIFE NUTZ...The car is a FANTASTIC Babe Magnet......the 20-30 year old GUYS could care less about the car, but their girlfriends are all over it..Trying to get my 26 Year Old son to attend some meets with me next year..He will have more young women around him than a rock star...hahahha

Ahh to own a Hudson and be a young buck once again...
  • I too am usually the only Hudson { 54 wasp sedan} at the local meets. I get a lot of elderly people stopping to reminisce and younger people just curious and impressed. They all get a kick out of it when I point out the ankle straps in the back. I often invite people to sit in the car which is unusual at a car show but they love it.
This discussion has been closed.