Blue or Amber tail-light dots?

GrimGreaser
GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
edited October 2010 in Street Rods
Traditional blue or newer (to me, anyway) amber for my 52 Hornet? Whenever I get around to wiring it... :huh:

My HHR

My GMC

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited October 2010
    Well, I will give you credit for the "New product of the week." I have never seen amber tail lite buttons. I know with the Blue Dots you get an effect where from a short distance the color mutates into a purple ringed look. I guess I am old school because the new ones seldom give the look that I remember from the ones that I had in my 50 Chev.

Blue Dots and 17 inch glass packs were the rage in the early 60's when I was a teen.

So what type of an effect to you get with the amber dot tail lights?
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    edited October 2010
    I think the effect isnt as pronounced on newer tail-lights because the bulb is set so far back from the lens and the reflectors are set to 'fill' the lens. I had blue dots in my GMC, but you could hardly tell they were there unless you caught it just right. They look a little better in the HHR, but the reflecor light drowns out the dot. It would look better if I could get a little bulb right behing the dot. The amber dots are easier to see on the GMC, and you get a bright amber glow from the dot.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Amber-Dots,7852.html
  • bellbigdawg
    bellbigdawg Expert Adviser
    back when I worked in california dealerships, we would put a seperate small reflector and halogen (or now L.E.D) bulb on a seperate switch. local law would ticket you for blue dots. was the same in Minnesota. but boy would they glow!
This discussion has been closed.