Paul's Kustom

mrsbojigger
mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Hey guys,

You have GOT to check out this site if you are the least interested in modifying or customizing your Hudson. Great car!!!!

Chaz

http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/Tig/Minisite/Minisite.aspx?alias=carpointau&id=7338

This web address works because I tried it to make sure it works.

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Hey guys,

You have GOT to check out this site if you are the least interested in modifying or customizing your Hudson. Great car!!!!

Chaz

I actually got an email from the owner of this car a few months ago. He had found my website on my 49 and wanted to say hello, offer some compliments on the work done so far and additonally some further encouragement.

Nice guy, too bad the car is in Australia (or is it New Zealand?) I'd love to see it as there is QUALITY work done on it (not like that gray POS that recently sold for 16k on ebay)

chaz - thanks for posting this out here. It does seem as though the quarum on the forum is getting a bit mellower on those of us rodders out there than there was a year ago when I started.
  • That's very nicely done. You're right, Dan, this is the way a custom should be as opposed to the gray POS. Great stance, I wonder if it's on air? Looks way slammed in the photo, or is that just high grass? LOL! Did you notice that they put a completely new frame under the car? It's now a "body-on -frame". That must have been some intense work, right there.

Russell
  • Howdy

Now, this forum, I really like! Yep, thats a sharp one. I really never could understand anyone spending the extra time & money to chop the top on a Hudson. It already looks like a chopped Merc.

Billy
  • Kook Kar!! The grille surround leaves me a bit cold, but that's a personal opinion.

Now, if the windshield buck was saved, there will probably be a few more chopped Hudsons. The biggest problem is with the windshield. I chopped a 1955 Ford Sedan Delivery and couldn't get one cut or modified to fit properly. What I eventually did was to drop the channel down and use the original glass but instead of a rubber moulding I glued it in. With adding some cowl trim from a Fairlane, it was really difficult to tell that the channel had been dropped down.

3" chop on a sedan delivery for my first chopped top...must be a glutton for punishment!!
  • I am surprised that, The same old thing is starting here as you can hear on the other forum. I thought that when this forum was started, we might be able to talk about the cars without criticizing. But I guess that is not going to happen. I think that if someone is trying to modify a car,(and I don't care if it is a Hudson or any other brand) it is not up to me or anybody else to put them down. Sure, there are going to be vastly different levels of expertise in the body and paint and mechanical work done. But that is what makes every car unique. After some of the comments I have seen and heard on the other forums I was disappointed to see the 48 KUSTOM, or rat rod that was on E-Bay referred to as a POS, on this forum.

Apparently not everyone thought it was a POS as it sold for 16K. Remember, what is one man's POS may be a bar of GOLD to someone else.

I love my 54 Hornet Special sedan,(all original 31K miles) But I also love the 54 Hornet special coupe that is getting R&P steering, Power disc brakes, and a 300 ci Ford 6 cylinder, and will be used as a daily driver. Maybe not a hot rod, but a good driveable car.

Will it be of the quality of the Kustom built by Paul Kelly from Austrailia?

NEVER, but it will be enjoyed and driven, And that is what counts.

Bob Hickson
  • You called it Bob! Lets try to be upbeat about everyone's rides people. We started this forum to get away from the nasty attitudes some people have on the other forums. Lets just have fun! :-)

Jay
  • rambos_ride
    BJ__TN wrote:
    I am surprised that, The same old thing is starting here as you can hear on the other forum. I thought that when this forum was started, we might be able to talk about the cars without criticizing. But I guess that is not going to happen. I think that if someone is trying to modify a car,(and I don't care if it is a Hudson or any other brand) it is not up to me or anybody else to put them down. Sure, there are going to be vastly different levels of expertise in the body and paint and mechanical work done. But that is what makes every car unique. After some of the comments I have seen and heard on the other forums I was disappointed to see the 48 KUSTOM, or rat rod that was on E-Bay referred to as a POS, on this forum.
    Apparently not everyone thought it was a POS as it sold for 16K. Remember, what is one man's POS may be a bar of GOLD to someone else.
    I love my 54 Hornet Special sedan,(all original 31K miles) But I also love the 54 Hornet special coupe that is getting R&P steering, Power disc brakes, and a 300 ci Ford 6 cylinder, and will be used as a daily driver. Maybe not a hot rod, but a good driveable car.
    Will it be of the quality of the Kustom built by Paul Kelly from Austrailia?
    NEVER, but it will be enjoyed and driven, And that is what counts.
    Bob Hickson
    Hi Bob,

I'll admit it since I'm the one who started calling the gray ebay custom a POS.

It is not because I don't like Hudson customs - my website and plans for my 49 should be enough to validate that - I was commenting on the quality of work and if I ruffled some feathers a bit so be it - I call things as I see them.

I have enough professional/personal experience as a car builder (and thick skin) that if someone has an issue or comments on work I have done - good or bad - I OPENLY WELCOME THE FEEDBACK! Good feedback gives me confidence and motivation - Bad feedback makes me work harder and gives me additional motivation as well!

I don't care if your car is a rusty rat rod, or a restoration, or a nicely done and expensive custom like Pauls - take pride in your work and make it look as good as possible. People "in the know" will understand your efforts and appreciate the hard work that has been done regardless if you spent $16.00-$16,000.00 or $160,000.00

Trying to "Thumper-ize" the forum by saying "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" would be a great dis-service to many.

For instance there are several posts about the steering issues on step-downs and with stuffing big motors in and trying to work around the original steering. The gist of these posts is WARNINGS and critical comments on heating and bending any of the steering components - this is GOOD advice, because these types of alterations can be a huge safety issue - but could be construed by someone with thin skin as a slam.

Another example is when I learned to weld - if my peers didn't come over and rib me with comments like "Nice crappy looking welds" and show me what I was doing wrong - I'd still be spitting out cobby looking weak-welds that would not only look bad but be potentially unsafe.

Peace.
  • I agree that a constructive critique, can be a good thing, but calling someone's car a POS is not constructive. To me, Calling someones car a POS, is, a slam. This is in my opinion and I speak only for myself.

I never said that we should not speak up if there are safety issues, or that an alternative way to do something exists. I have had many suggestions about my coupe, many of them will be used while others will not. I am open to any information which will make my car better. That is why these forums exist, for the mutual exchange of ideas.

I have been a mechanic for 40 years, and do not consider myself to be thin skinned, but like you said, I also call them as I see them. If someone has a differing opinion that's allright too.

As for Hudson customs, I love them.

Peace be with you.

Bob Hickson
  • rambos_ride
    You're right BJ I hear what you are saying and regularly enjoy reading your comments.

POS was a bit heavy handed - It wasn't as PC as I could have been, but when someone asks me my opinion (that was the start of the 48 Kustom thread - someone asking my opinion on the car) I generally shoot from the hip!

Good posts and opinions everyone!

• I never meant the comment to be a criticism of the custom car. I love all Hudsons and have been involved with vehicles for 40 years as well. When I go to Hot August Nights in Reno every year and see over 10,000 modified and restified cars, I do not like everything that is done to each of them. It's just that I don't particularly like the grille style on this particular car. That is not a critique of the quality of work its just I may not like a particular syling feature. That's what customization is all about...one man's love for his vehicle and making it what he wants it to be.

I even like the 'bat wing' car that is frequently made fun of on the other part of the forum. Does that mean that I'm in love with every modification? NO, but I respect and enjoy other people's work. Is everyone going to be perfectly pleased with something I build? NO, and I don't expect them to. My current custom as in my last posting is a 1955 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 3" chop and rear quarters from a 1956 Dodge. It changes the look of the car completely without getting into the big fins that were so prevalent in the late 50's and early 60's. It is my personal expression and if people like it or hate it, so be it. It's my car.

I've never said anything in this or another forum to be mean or belittling. Again, I appreciate all Hudsons in whatever form they may be, having gotten my first one in 1972.
This discussion has been closed.