It's all good...

SamJ
SamJ Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in Street Rods
:cool: Many Hudson/Essex/Terraplane (HET) owners I know own BOTH modified AND stock/restored cars (see D. Spring thread below). Some started their collection with a stock car, some with a modified. Hudson product owners have been modifying their cars since 1910. Even the factory built race cars, stepdown pickups, etc. It's ALL good...

Comments

• SamJ
    SamJ Senior Contributor
    Guess I should mention that I have 90+ modified vehicles downstairs...none of them mine. LOL. http://museum.nhra.com/
  • TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    I hear ya, I've got this next door www.fantasyofflight.com I couldn't even afford

the fuel,but thats OK I always enjoy watching them.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    SamJ wrote:
    Guess I should mention that I have 90+ modified vehicles downstairs...none of them mine. LOL. http://museum.nhra.com/
    I'd have to spend all my free time down there!

I noticed a blue and blown early 30's Fiat Topolino in the gallery. I used to own one that was similar * ie not blown * and 1/4 mile raced it!

Cool Stuff!
  • Just skimmed through the museum on line. The Butler-Cortopazzi "Glass Slipper" is one of the best from the mid 50's. It's the purple & white full body car. When I was deep in nostalgia drag racing in the late 80's they were running that car on a regular basis. It's good to see that it's been preserved.

Another car we used to watch on the circuit is Christman's "Hustler" the copper and white car. Full blown 392 on nitro was a great car to watch. I stood in the staging lines a couple of time to watch that one go down the strip, no better vantage point.
  • SamJ
    SamJ Senior Contributor
    Art Chrisman's a good friend of mine. At the first NHRA Nationals (1954) he was the first car down the track in the "25" car (which we also have). At the 50th in Indy in 2004, Art was the first car down the track in the "25" car. Very cool. Art took the Hustler up to our California Hot Rod Reunion last month as part of our famous "Cacklefest." 44 front-engined historic cars were push started Saturday night with period push vehicles and fired up at the same time on the track. When they shut down, the fans could swarm on to the track, meet the drivers, touch the cars (not the headers, we hope). All the cars in the Museum run and can be driven, and with a couple of exceptions, all are the actual vehicle, not a replica. A couple of new acquisitions are the "roadster" that Troy Ruttman won Indy with in 1952, and our current new "track roadster" exhibit.
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    When the 49 is running and I get my first road trip down the west coast - I am definately stopping by the mueseum - cool stuff!
  • Sam, good to see another nostalgia racer here...I've run at Bakersfield with the NDRA and WCTA several times as well as Palmdale, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Sears Point and Firebird in Boise. I started out racing at the old Orodam Raceway at the airport in Oroville, CA. I was running a '53 Studebaker at the last race at Baylands south of San Francisco. A friend and I built and raced a 1953 Super Wasp with a 460 Ford and tubs. (painted purple!! :eek: ) I haven't raced in over 10 years but will probably be building another one... :D
  • !!!!NEAT, NEAT!!!! I love it. Started drag racing in 1952, Ended up involved in a AA/fuel rail in the early 60,s. I have lots of memories, I remember Gartlits, Cook and Bedwell, Genes brake shop special, Setto Postanian, and many others, It was lots of fun then, Every year we have a big YORK USA 30 Reunion in York Pa. Maybe 200 old drag cars , mostly super stock and gassers, Like old home week seeing people I havn't seen for years. This was big gasser country (Central Pa.). I could go on and about the old days.
This discussion has been closed.