Butch's '46 Cpe Hornet Mtr

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited November 2010 in Street Rods
FYI

Attached are a few pictures of Butch Smith's Modified Hornet Stroker Motor coming together. This Motor will also be blown using a new Whipple Supercharger!. Butch had custom built Headers made (along with many other Mod's) for his '46 Hudson coupe Project.
Some Chassis pictures were Posted previously.

Comments

• TwinH
    TwinH Senior Contributor
    Sweet! It that set-up for a full flow oil filter?
  • Somebody sure does nice work.

Look forward to see more.
    Ron
  • fantastic and my congratulations for good work

I really Like IT!
  • hornet53
    hornet53 Senior Contributor
    Wow, i just had the head off my 308 and my valve didn't try to jump out of the block like that!
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    edited December 2010
    Cant wait to see the blower that goes on this puppy
    Going to look very sweet and even run sweeter by the looks of it

Mike
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2010
    FYI

Here is the Whipple Supercharger thats going onto Butch's Modified Hornet Motor.... Its a 'Draw Thru' Blower...

Incidently, The Hudson Boy's set a new Streamliner Class Record of 218 MPH last Month in Bonneville using a Whipple Blower
  • essexcoupe3131
    so does this sit on the side or set up much like a v8? I havnt personally had much to do with blowers at all

MIke
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2010
    Mike,
    The Blower will bolt onto a 4bbl Intake and sit on the side. (I have a small Eaton 62 on my 329" Hornet. The blower sits forward (because absence of long snout)with fabricated plenum back to 4bbl manifold).... Runs great!
  • hornet53
    hornet53 Senior Contributor
    Ol racer wrote:
    Mike,
    The Blower will bolt onto a 4bbl Intake and sit on the side. (I have a small Eaton 62 on my 329" Hornet. The blower sits forward with fabricated plenum back to 4bbl manifold).... Runs great!

How in the world did you get a 308 with a Supercharger AND A/C to fit under the hood of a 37? Can you put some of your magic in a vial and send it to me please?
  • essexcoupe3131
    mate, there's not even enough room to swing a spanner
    well done and it looks magic and would sound even cooler
    Mike
  • Ol racer
    Guys,

Thanks for the nice comments.... Actually, it was not too difficilt with the front end removed since my firewall had a 'removable pocket'above the floorboard that I thought all Terraplanes had until a few other Hudson Guys seen it saying it was altered at some point to clear a little motor with the distributor on the rear of the head. I only had to trim the X brackets under the radiator to clear the damper then slid the radiator Core forward a few inches (inside of the Straps) into the grille shell.
  • Ol racer
    FYI

This is the neat Master Cyl Assy in Butch's Hudson Coupe complete with remote fill & proportioning valve for 4 wheel Disc Brakes.....
  • essexcoupe3131
    no master booster, hope that puppy can stop on a pin LOL

Mike
  • Ol racer
    FYI

The Power Booster is located seperately in another Picture...

Butch has owned this Hudson a long time and apparently really thought out these updates.... I belive the longest hold up in the Project has been the custom machine work.

More Pictures later
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2010
    FYI

Pictures of the 9" Ford posi Rear End with necessary Disc Brakes & Traction Bars to handle a supercharged stroker Motor....
  • Ol racer
    edited December 2010
    FYI

Check out these 'custom fabricated' Jet Hot Coated Headers for Butch's Supercharged Hudson
This discussion has been closed.