rewiring a 46 Hudson super six

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I need help on rewiring a 46 Hudson six. Should I do it piecemeal or buy wiring harness?? If so what are some reasonable suppliers of harnesses?? anyone tackled a job like this?? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Here are two wiring harness companies that Hudson people use: www.riwire.com and http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/ . It will cost you several hundred dollars to get an authentic harness made, though, no matter where you go.

The alternative is to make up your own, which you can do with a bit of gumption and some minimal expertise. Remove the old harness and nail it to a piece of 4 x 8 plywood, then purchase new wire of the appropriate gauge and pin it into place to follow the old wiring pattern. Affix modern terminals (of the same type as the appropriate terminals on your old harness). Then tape together the various runs of multiple wires, to create your own harness. You can place long runs of wire within old-looking (but modern) fabric-based (not plastic) wire loom, to make it look authentic, in areas where it is seen.

Before disassembling your old harness, of course, you want to be sure that it is complete and any missing sections restored (if only temporarily). You don't want to get the new harness in, only to find a few wires are short by a few inches!
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I would say buy a wireing harness the product you get will look like the orignal but be far better you see the makers Jon listed use wire that not only have a cloth outer covering but a plastic coating inside along with copper wire I used one on my 'BABY' project and we here in the burgh have rewired 4 or 5 cars all with great resolts good luck
  • Jay_G
    Jay_G Expert Adviser
    I just had Y&Z make a harness for my 53 hornet and it was the best thing I ever did (so far). I had them add some extra wires for things like a cd player, speakers, elect fuel pump, fan and they modified it so I can have a dual headlight relay for haligen lights and all in a cloth loome. This way the purest out there (and you know who you are) won't be able to tell it from stock and I can enjoy the goodies. These extras cost about $100 more but for my money they are worth it and everything is labled even the extra stuff.

Jay
This discussion has been closed.