Battery Cut Off Switch ?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
I have seen the ones that mount to the battery but the battery in the 29s are under the seat. I would like one that I could mount to the floor in front if anyone knows who might have something like this. Thanks Ron

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Ron P wrote:
    I have seen the ones that mount to the battery but the battery in the 29s are under the seat. I would like one that I could mount to the floor in front if anyone knows who might have something like this. Thanks Ron
    These type of switches are readily available on ebay or your local parts stores should also have some.

I got all 3 of these examples from http://www.AutoLoc.com doing a search for "Battery"
    batk.jpg
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Just a thought, here. For many years I had the battery-mounted cut-off switch (green knob that you turn) but Paul O'Malley (H-E-T repair expert from W. Va.) suggested that these were not advisable (well, he used somewhat stronger language, but this is a family bulletin board, hee-hee!). The reason, I suspect, is that the actual contact area of the switch itself (as I understand it) is rather small. It's okay for a 12-volt system (in which the general diameter of ALL wires is smaller than that of a 6-volt system). But on our 6-volt systems one needs all the contact area one can get. If you calculate the actual contact area that the battery cable clamp makes with the terminal, it is rather large (comparatively speaking).

Anyway, that's my theory. My 'green' switch worked well enough during the years I had it in place but the starter seemed to have more 'oomph' when I removed it and simply clamped the cable to the battery each time I intended to drive the car.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has any thoughts on this. Do all of these cut-off switches work equally well on six and twelve volt systems?
  • ernie28
    ernie28 Expert Adviser
    Ron

I fitted the red one (BATK) to my 28 Essex a couple of years ago. I mounted it throughthe rear engine cross member by the starter motor - drilled a hole for the switch lever to poke throught leaving the connections hidded behind the cross member. I shifted the main battery lead from the starter motor to it then a very short lead from the switch to the starter motor.It has not given me a problem and it does give peace of mind. :)

Alistair
This discussion has been closed.