Shoe horn 'Hornet' into Terraplane

Ol racer
Ol racer Senior Contributor
edited December 2010 in Street Rods
FYI

Recently there was some interest how a Hornet Mtr could fit into the very tight confines of a Terraplane, but at the time I couldnt locate this particular picture showing can be done...

Actually, someone made it easier over the yrs by cutting & covering a recess into the firewall for a 'rear mounted distributor' 3x5 Mtr.(note the black center firewall area).I only had to notch the L & R angle irons under the radiator & trim the crossmember for damper pully clearance. (Afterward I reinforced the areas I trimmed).

Additionally, I had a new hi efficiency radiator core installed but slid the Core forward 'inside the straps' to gain more frontal clearance for water pump,etc.

The Stepdown Headers go inside & outside the frame rails like were made for this installation with dual pipes exiting under both running boards.Sounds (& runs) like a V8....

The Intake is an aluminum '49 converted to 4bbl with pair Mikuni Carbs at that time. This Mtr is coupled to a GM Turbo 350 which only required bending the center of floorboard slightly. The Mid Frame X only required slight notching to clear rear sides of Transmission Pan.....

Hopefully someone else will consider this Hudson Power installation.....

Comments

• ski4life65
    ski4life65 Expert Adviser
    Wow! That is pretty......
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Eddie Moore's dad, Don Moore, was a Hudson dealer in Massachusetts. Eddie said that at one time Don put a Hornet engine in a 1934 Hudson, I think it was - would do anything except stop, as Eddie put it.

And Buddy Bardwell, in NH, has raced, for years, a 1934 Ford chassis with a Hornet engine.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    edited December 2010
    If I understand this right (after a quick and possibly incomplete search) those are (essentially) Harley Davidson carbs on that motor? Slick!

I guess after looking Mikuni makes motorcycle/ATV/snowmobile/watercraft carburetors. Still cool!
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited December 2010
    FYI

The Mikuni side draft's and the manifold plate were from a 'B&M Supercharged Chevy V8.I believe they were #44 or 48's similar to Weber's. However I removed them right away because they were far too rich. I didnt know anything about jetting them so I installed a Holley 600 4bbl.
This discussion has been closed.