Engine swap?

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Does anyone know if you can adapt a AMC v-8 into a stepdown frame? I know that others have used chev, ford or 6's but what about a American Motors 327 V-8? Just thought I'd ask... Thanks Rich Smithen

Comments

• Wrong forum man, the purist guys will criticize you to death. Go to the modified Hudson forum and ask.
  • If you have a welder and some fab skills you can put just about anything in there. I don't see why you can't get that jigged in. Obviously you need to measure where you are going to mount the engine to frame and make a set of appropriate mounts and also calculate what tranny you are going to mate to that engine, and will it have enough room underneath and what type of driveline work you will have to do to make it all work safely.

Also you will find most of the guys here don't give a crap what you do to your car. Yes there are some vocal opposition to mods, but you can do what most of us do and ignore the noise and tune in the signal. I myself do stock Hudson all the way but have no probs with guys doing mods. Have done a lot of mods myself mostly on 60's and 70's Buicks, Chevs and Chryslers.
  • Rich

Contact Charlie Harris, Springfield Ne. (Check HET Membership Roster for contact informatio) During the 70s he put AMC 237 into a stepdown.

Ken
  • hudsonjeff
    hudsonjeff Senior Contributor
    Larry Kennedy has a 52 or 53 4 door with an AMC 327. He is in the Indy IN area.
  • hemiEssex wrote:
    Wrong forum man, the purist guys will criticize you to death. Go to the modified Hudson forum and ask.

This is what will make it all real old, real quick. The few of you that have decided to street rod your hudsons now have your own little subforum, that's great. :rolleyes:

You still can't let it drop can you? :mad:

If I remember correctly the two that had the biggest problem on the chat here, in the first place, are the two that came looking for opinions on their projects. :confused:

There is nothing wrong with being either a purist, or a modified hudson owner. I consider mine modified, but to the lesser extent of others.

If you could not take the scrutiny, and opinions that differed from yours, you should have never asked in the first place.

So, I guess the best advice is since the Big boy hudson chat was too much for you, maybe you should hang out in the JV hudson chat, and stay there, instead of trolling around in this section of the board, trying to stir up more trouble.

Also, please note, the question was "Does anyone know if you can adapt a AMC v-8 into a stepdown frame? I know that others have used chev, ford or 6's but what about a American Motors 327 V-8?"

The question was not.... " Hey everybody, look at me!!! I got this really great car with lots of family history, blah blah blah, that I no longer think is really fun, and it needs some engine work, so I want to cut it up, and put an old hemi into it. So what does everyone think? (but don't tell me what I don't want to hear...) "
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    richs. wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can adapt a AMC v-8 into a stepdown frame? I know that others have used chev, ford or 6's but what about a American Motors 327 V-8? Just thought I'd ask... Thanks Rich Smithen
    Sounds like a couple of HET members have done just that and if they're still around they would be the best source of direct information on this swap.

I know personally with stuffing a GM454 in my 49 that the most of my time was insuring the side to side clearances closest to the upper a-arms - the clearance of the oil pan to the centerpoint steering and the exhaust output on the steering side.

I did have to make changes to the pitman arm and drag link assembly and a modification to the front subframe x-member (just to the rear of the firewall) - everything else is stock including re-using the original Hudson motor mounts (albeit located 3-4" rear of the stock mounting locations).

Good Luck and don't let others comments get you down - its your car - just keep safety in mind when cutting and welding!

Peace

ADDENDUM: The front x-member mod mentioned above was to allow for the TH400 trans and exhaust clearance - if you were going to mate your AMC motor to the original trans with an adapter - this modification would most likely not be needed.
  • If you're going to go AMC, I would suggest the 390 or 401 incarnations of the V8. All great motors and "in the family" as it were. Good luck with your car, and welcome to the forum!
  • hudsonkid wrote:
    This is what will make it all real old, real quick. The few of you that have decided to street rod your hudsons now have your own little subforum, that's great. :rolleyes:

You still can't let it drop can you? :mad:

If I remember correctly the two that had the biggest problem on the chat here, in the first place, are the two that came looking for opinions on their projects. :confused:

There is nothing wrong with being either a purist, or a modified hudson owner. I consider mine modified, but to the lesser extent of others.

If you could not take the scrutiny, and opinions that differed from yours, you should have never asked in the first place.

So, I guess the best advice is since the Big boy hudson chat was too much for you, maybe you should hang out in the JV hudson chat, and stay there, instead of trolling around in this section of the board, trying to stir up more trouble.

Also, please note, the question was "Does anyone know if you can adapt a AMC v-8 into a stepdown frame? I know that others have used chev, ford or 6's but what about a American Motors 327 V-8?"

The question was not.... " Hey everybody, look at me!!! I got this really great car with lots of family history, blah blah blah, that I no longer think is really fun, and it needs some engine work, so I want to cut it up, and put an old hemi into it. So what does everyone think? (but don't tell me what I don't want to hear...) "

hudsonkid,

I agree that people should stop making slams at the other forums on both sides, but let me set the record straight:

I asked for opinions, yes, but not to be called stupid or an idiot, like what was done. I RESPECTED EVERYONE'S OPINION, EVEN THOSE WHO DIDN'T AGREE WITH MY PLAN. But I didn't lash out until I had had enough of the name calling. You people must just have too much free time!

You sound like a little girl who needs to get sent to her room! Whats with the "JV Forum" crap anyway, you sound like a spoiled little brat who thinks he is so superior to other people!

Most people here seem to be okay with everyone and the two forums, its just too bad there are people like you who have to bash other people excessively to make themselves feel superior!

Jay
  • JasonNC
    JasonNC Expert Adviser
    Wow,

I didn't even know there was a JV forum. Is that the one listed as lead sleds? Blessed are the peacemakers.

JasonNC
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    JasonNC wrote:
    Wow,
    I didn't even know there was a JV forum. Is that the one listed as lead sleds? Blessed are the peacemakers.
    JasonNC
    Hi JasonNC,

That would be the Hudson Sub-Forum "Street Rods" near the top of the page.
  • Hudson Kid (obviously named for his childish behavior) you are way off on this one. I was merely trying to steer the guy to a forum where people who want to modify their hudsons are on. I can take anything you purists want to dish out. It shows your obvious lack of automotive knowledge if you still think that modifying a car is cutting it up and ruining it. It's just a car dude! You are the one stirring the pot! I think you have referred to the modified section as the " rougue forum" Cool, now I can really be one of those rougue hot rodders in their modified cut up death machines that can flip you the bird after I fly past that four door slug you'll be driving! You say I can't take critism, look at yourself. I am having fun with the hobby and doing what I want and not taking any of this to heart like you are.
  • mrsbojigger
    mrsbojigger Senior Contributor
    Hi Richs,

Interesting option of using an AMC engine. Go for it! You can make it fit. Just be sure to measure twice, cut once. At one time I was considering installing a Cummings diesel engine/trans in my stepdown so it could be used as a tow car for my show car. It was just too heavy to be practical.

Check out sub-forum for dimensions of AMC engine.

Chaz
  • jsrail wrote:
    hudsonkid,

I agree that people should stop making slams at the other forums on both sides, but let me set the record straight:

I asked for opinions, yes, but not to be called stupid or an idiot, like what was done. I RESPECTED EVERYONE'S OPINION, EVEN THOSE WHO DIDN'T AGREE WITH MY PLAN. But I didn't lash out until I had had enough of the name calling. You people must just have too much free time!

You sound like a little girl who needs to get sent to her room! Whats with the "JV Forum" crap anyway, you sound like a spoiled little brat who thinks he is so superior to other people!

Most people here seem to be okay with everyone and the two forums, its just too bad there are people like you who have to bash other people excessively to make themselves feel superior!

Jay

Jay,

to me it sounds like you got a lot of internet muscle, but nothing to back it up, either in your posts, or otherwise.

Let me illustrate this point for all to read....

You came on the forum, asked everyone's opinion, they were all kind enough to give it, and when you didn't get the attention you wanted, nor the reception, you took your toys, and started a subforum.

Sounds like something a little girl would do to me....

Further, let's start the record straight....

I am in no way under the mindset that I think I am superior to anyone on this forum. I consider everyone on this forum a friend. I have met many people in real world time, and honestly, there are a lot of great people out there. If you don't like the truth, or my opinion, or what I have to say, to bad.

Another point, I read the subforum, and I like to read the posts over there as well, and quite honestly, I consider my hudson modified, since I am running late model fuel pump, and twin H on a 50, so guess what? it's modified, whether I like it or not...

I just don't think we needed a subforum to accomplish this. What did it accomplish creating a subforum? it clearly put a line in the sand, saying you're either on this side or that. We didn't need a line, we didn't need a subforum. So thanks for dividing the group even further.

And finally, I don't consider myself a spoiled brat, and the best advice I can give to you on this is that usually those that use a line of defense as such, find a character trait in themselves that they don't like and try to attach it to another person. (hmmm... perhaps you jay?)

I grew up working for everything I had, not because hudsondad couldn't buy me a nice car, or pay my car insurance, or put a down payment on my house, or ever co-sign a loan for a new car purchase... not because the means were not there, but because there was a teaching of responsibility, and to some extent, to be my own person, and so I could appreciate what I had.

I worked almost full time while going to college, I managed to do a bachelor's program in Business Management, in three years, I took 6-7 classes a semester, pretty much worked and studied, and not much else, and even my last semester, when I had two classes to take to graduate, guess how many classes I took? 6. It takes many kids almost 6 years to get thru college (even back in the mid 90's when I was going 5-6 years was quite regular)

Further, I did all of the work on my hudson, and still do. nobody in a fancy restoration shop turns a wrench on my car, because if someone else built it, guess what? it's not yours.

What I am surprised is that you know so much about me.

So let's try to close this off....

I would say the only thing you have done since joining the forum Jay, is creating one monster thread of animosity, and now spliting the forum not for the greater good, but mainly because you wanted to be different.

Personally Jay, I think you got a lot of value to add to the forum, and I enjoy reading your posts, however, I think that you posess a lot of the negative character traits you speak of when it comes to your internet presence.

Jay, In closing, I wish you and all of your family a happy thanksgiving, and the best of luck with your 50 pacemaker. I hope you are able to make it everything you want it to be.

Best!

Rick
  • hemiEssex wrote:
    Hudson Kid (obviously named for his childish behavior) you are way off on this one. I was merely trying to steer the guy to a forum where people who want to modify their hudsons are on. I can take anything you purists want to dish out. It shows your obvious lack of automotive knowledge if you still think that modifying a car is cutting it up and ruining it. It's just a car dude! You are the one stirring the pot! I think you have referred to the modified section as the " rougue forum" Cool, now I can really be one of those rougue hot rodders in their modified cut up death machines that can flip you the bird after I fly past that four door slug you'll be driving! You say I can't take critism, look at yourself. I am having fun with the hobby and doing what I want and not taking any of this to heart like you are.

Wow, hemiessex, you sure said some great stuff here. So let's take this one piece at a time and go from there....

This forum, the senior hudson forum (I guess no one liked the JV reference...) does not frown on anyone modifying a hudson. It is here to give advice, and chat about hudson related issues. It also is quite fine for someone to post questions and concerns about what they want to do with their hudson. I guess yuor post read in it's entire context really shows how you view the rest of the hudson owners on this forum.

Please don't call me a purist, for that, I am not.

Most of the stepdown crowd probably drives a hudson that's been modified in some respect, be it a late model fuel pump, or twin h on a pre 52 hudson, etc... and get ready for this one, hemiessex, even my hudson is modified.

It seems to me that you have some bent on your vast automotive knowledge and others perceived lack thereof, Big deal, I know enough to do what I need to do, and if that doesn't work, I can read a shop manual, or ask for the appropriate advice to work on a project. I have researched areas of study where I am the resident expert in specific fields, I don't see people coming to you for your supreme knowledge of all things hemi or essex. (but I am sure you have a decent amount of information to offer)

The major problem, and still is, obviously, is that you got your feelings hurt on you post about you hemiessex project, you were looking for validation, and affirmation, and I guess with all of those years you and dad shared working on the essex wasn't enough, so you had to come here for some more validation of your plans. (and didn't get it....)

Let me help, so what. Do what you want. no one's opinion matters, just what you think matters. don't even ask for anyone's opinion, and you will be that much ahead o the game.

This group isn't going to support the plans to *cut* (and I use the word cut because I doubt there is any way other than using a torch to get a hemi into an essex) a beautiful essex up and put a hemi into it, anyone could have told you that. You think it is bad now, heck, you should have been around in the late 80's you would have been asked to leave a hudson meet if you came with a non traditional driveline! (okay, not that bad...) time and people change, but not as quickly as one would hope. It is not that your project doesn't posess a certain character of uniqueness to it, but what it does posess is essentially, one less original essex, in the eyes of all who hold originallity pretty dear.

Now, I got more of a clouded view for you, try this one on for size, recently Hudsondad bought a 40 chevy. Guess what we are gonna do with that? yup, it's getting street rodded, you know why? because the 52 hornet coupe he bought was too nice, and original, and had too much history to do that to, and the 40 chevy, well, there's no love lost there!

As far as being just a car..... no, my hudson means a lot more to me. It is an enbodiment of my years of work, of time and financial investment. It is an outlet of my creativity, it's a work in progress, always and forever. It is an avenue of enjoyment and recreation. My hudson is far more to me than that.

If your essex is "just a car" then sell it and buy a honda...

I guess not. I imagine your car has a lot of precious memories, working on it with your dad, and probably has more meaning to you than mine even has for me!

As far as me stirring the pot? aren;t you the one that told the gentleman at the beginning of this post that it was the "wrong forum" and the purists "will criticze you to death" ?

hmmm, did you post this? (are you the pot stirrer?)

I think so...

anyway, what's wrong with the rogue forum? it's not a slam, it is what it is... please look up the word rogue, and repost back to us as to the proper meaning and whether it is being used in an appropriate manner. I bet you find that I am pretty much on base with this one...

"can flip you the bird after I fly past that four door slug you'll be driving!"

note to self... this sure constitutes "childish behavior"... read on...

this deserved a second quote... this is just as insulting to me as is the rest of the stepdown crowd...

anyway, our saving grace is that we will be driving by your hemi essex wrapped around a telephone pole on the turn you couldn't make due to too much weight in the front... (remember, hudsons might not have been the fastest in the straightaway, but they made up for it in the turns...)

also, let's add to this, being the better persons, we would probably turn around, and go back and see if you needed help, even though you previously gave us the "bird"...

I guess it all comes down to what kind of message, you want to send and what kind of person you want to be in life. (maybe mine is a path of more maturity, choosing not to fly past people giving them the "bird" )

As far as the hobby, I think I am having fun with it as well. I can drive my car right now, it's not an idea that I think about and talk about. How much fun is it to not be able to get out and drive your hudson?

And as far as taking it to heart, I beg to differ on that point, If you wouldn't have taken it to heart, you wouldn't have replied in the first place, and by the general tone of your post and what you wrote, it seems you to have upset you in a way that warranted your reply.

Hemiessex, good luck with your car, and I send thanksgiving wishes to you and your family.

Best!

Rick
  • Geoff
    Geoff Senior Contributor
    My my, the words are flowing! It appears to me that the original posting should have been "I have decided to rod an original Essex. Please reply only if you think this is a great idea." There must be room for diverse opinions without the vicous slagging off that has been going on. I agree broadly with Rick's lengthy tome. Every reply that has been received that does not concur with the original poster's opinion has been denigrated and put down, as for instance my own experience with my Essex being reliable and efficient over may hundreds of thousands of miles. There's a verse in the Bible (Galations 6:7) that says whatever you sow, that you shall reap. If you spread bitterness and vitriol that's what will return. Let's call a halt!

Geoff.
  • Jon B
    Jon B Administrator
    Amen, brother! Let's agree to disagree, as they say, take a deep breath, and step back for a moment to assess things.

People have their opinions about modifying Hudsons (and 'modify' takes in mighty big territory) and in the process of disagreeing let's be respectful to one another, okay? Because, whenever someone flies off the handle, he doesn't score any points on this forum. Instead, he only makes a fool of himself in the eyes of others. No one is really going to change anyone's mind on the basics of 'to streetrod or not to streetrod', anyway. It's a useless argument because most peoples' minds are made up.

So, carefully and respectfully make the point you want to make and then let it go. You might be antagonizing someone who might be in a position to help you, down the line. Remember, no matter what, we all have a basic agreement that we like Hudsons or we wouldn't be hanging out at this forum, anyway.
  • Yeah guys cos if this goes on I'm calling a rumble out back of the old High School. Bring yer cars and ya best gal cos its gonna be on. Look for me I'll be the handsome stud with the highly modified Ford Pinto...(and yes the headlights are frenched)just don't get to close to my backend.....LOL
This discussion has been closed.