49 Undercoat Question...

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Can someone tell me if Hudson used undercoating at the factory in '49 (or was all this on my car added later)? If so, exactly what sections of the floor were done? May sound like a stupid question, but I only ask because I currently have the body on a rotisarrie and it would appear that most of the undercoating was added later to hide patches and pinholes, but some of it looks like it has been there forever. I am removing all of it in preperation for repair, sandblasting and paint, but want to know exactly how it left the factory so I can duplicate it. In otherwords, do I undercoat the entire underside of the floor and the rear wheel tubs? What's right?

Comments

• Park_W
    Park_W Senior Contributor
    Dennis, my "stepdown" experience is limited to Commodores and Hornets, but I've never seen one that wasn't undercoated, including the wheel wells. You might check with Al Saffrahn ... he's seen a bunch of them of all sorts. Al's at akhudaz@c2i2.com (and that IS an "i", not a 1).
  • EssexAdv
    EssexAdv Expert Adviser, Member
    I asked the same question of Press Kale. He toled me his first job in his local dealership was undercoating step-downs. A real messy job, but somone had to do it. What I didn't ask him was if thea came from the factory with undercoating and he just did the ones which arrived without it
  • hudsonguy
    hudsonguy Senior Contributor
    I've got a book that shows the 'schematic' at the Hudson factory, and the assembly sequence of the stepdowns. One of the first steps was to 'undercoat' the body shell before any of the front end or drive train was installed. I believe they used some sort of wax-based stuff. It appears that there was at least 'some' undercoating applied to all of the stepdowns in this manner.
  • hudsonguy
    Well, I checked my book last night, and the stuff they applied at the factory, they're calling 'silica compound'. They applied this to the main body underside (before fenders were installed), and inside the trunk.
  • Thank you,.....can you please tell me what book you are referring to?

Many thanks again.
  • hudsonguy
    The book I'm referring to is;

Hudson 1946-1957, The Classic Postwar Years
    Model by Model Technical Specifications

By; Richard M. Langworth
This discussion has been closed.