Total loss in Fire

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
My Father just phoned me to inform me that his 37 chevy truck was totally destroyed in a fire. His garage, tools, everything, total loss. Spark from wood fired boiler. Interesting lesson here for the guys on the forum. Because the truck was semi finished and not licenced yet, he had not bought insurance. I know he should have known better, but sometimes when you are not using the vehicle, you do not even think of storage insurance or even just fire and theft. Same garage the Essex would have been in had he not given it to me a few years earlier! He wants to get right back in the saddle with another project. I think I have one for him. You have heard the stories of old farmer with hidden cars right, well I have one for you. Me and a buddy were over at another friends place checking out some war era army jeeps that he had bought and I was making a comment like " not too much old stuff left around" and he says, that he had bought the property a few years ago and the owner had some stuff stored in the chicken coup on the back of the property and he thought there was a 20s something car in there. I whip back there in a flash and find guess what 1929 Model A Roadster Pickup!. Sitting there, top rotted off, but all complete, air still in some tires, motor will turn with crank, basically complete truck. Even has tailgate attached. Told my Dad about it and we are in the process of haggling a deal with the old farmer. Have already located a flathead and are going to build a highboy style 50's hotrod out of it. Cool eh! 10 minute drive from the house. I am not a Ford guy, so can anybody fill me in on the interchange of parts to modifiy the existing frame and suspension like they used to do? Like using the A axle and turning the spring around and adding disc brakes and such?

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Good Advice on keeping cars covered while working on them!

Where do you guys find these things!

'29 - I take it these still had the wooden cabs - is that what is rotted away or is the sheet metal gone?
  • Not the top, but the convertible top material. The bows are still there, all the sheet metal on the body is very solid. It is a roadster pickup! I can't believe that someone has not snatched it up long ago. I am quite sure that with a little bit of tinkering, you could fire it up and drive it out of the chicken coop. The worst part on it is the one rear fender. It is crumpled like it was hit while being driven.
  • hemiEssex, very sorry for your dad's loss. But excited that you may have found another cool project! I like those old roadster pickups! Again, sorry for the loss and good luck to your dad on his next project.

Jay
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    There's an outfit called "Posies" that makes dropped front axles for Model A's- price is not bad, and probably the way to go- the Model A axle is just too primitive, especially if you want to go with disc brakes, etc. Also, you get it lowered in the bargain. Posies advertises in Street Rodder and many other rod magazines. Many guys went to '32 Ford frames under Model A's- but good luck finding one. Friend of mine boxed his stock A frame, and put in a Ford 351 Cleveland- not a lightweight engine- and hasn't had any problems.
This discussion has been closed.