1951 2dr - Ebay project or parts car... Texas

rambos_ride
rambos_ride Senior Contributor
edited November -1 in HUDSON
It's hard to tell from the pictures but this might be a good project or parts car located in Texas

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-hudson-HUDSON-COMMODORE_W0QQitemZ4592866928QQcategoryZ6472QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

51p.jpg

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    Yes, Looks like a 51 Super Six with a 52 Hood, and the 52 grille and hood ornaments. The ever important questions about rust are important. Denton is near Dallas as I recall. Last time I was there was 1958.. Probably closer to Dallas now!
  • Its a 51 Commodore or Wasp and the hood and grill look like the correct 51 items to me. The turn signals are correct for 51.
  • I still think it's a bit mixed up. Didn't the '51 Commodore use the same taillights as the Hornet? I'm also not sure the Commodore was available in the brougham body style in 1951. It might be a '52 Wasp with earlier Pacemaker or Super tail lamps...maybe a 1951 Pacemaker too.
  • Dan: I'm so glad you always post these. I check E-Bay every few days or so and I always know I can come here and find the Hudsons already posted-Thanks!)

Ya'll are the experts and I'm just a newbie, but my observations are: Like 51HornetA said: it's definately a '51, the front parking lights are a dead give-away. The outside of the lenses are square, correct for '51. Also the hood ornament and hood are correct for '51. That's not a '52 ornament. As Bill A. has stated elsewhere in this forum, the '51 hood is unique to the stepdowns and even though this hood is "up" slightly, it's obvious that it fits correctly. Also, I tried to blow the pic up and take a look at the badge on the front fender, but the res on the pic isn't high enough to read it. Again, I'm no expert, but I thought this was a Super Six.

Russell
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I still think it's a bit mixed up. Didn't the '51 Commodore use the same taillights as the Hornet? I'm also not sure the Commodore was available in the brougham body style in 1951. It might be a '52 Wasp with earlier Pacemaker or Super tail lamps...maybe a 1951 Pacemaker too.
    I thought the Commodore was only offered as the 4 door version?
  • I have access to a 1950 Commodore Coupe, so, I do know they made these body styles.
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    After closer scrutiny.. It is a 51 for sure..but The front fenders look short.. Check the stainless steel headlight rings. Pacemaker it is! Another give away is.. No side trim.All Super-Commodore-Hornets had a side moulding on the lower door..(It does have a deluxe steering wheel).The parking lights are Pacemaker.or Wasp. Not the larger Super-Commodore-Hornet. The Hood ornament is Pacemaker. Trunk ornament would have been long and wide as used on the Hornet. The bushes are covering this up.These are Super or Pacemaker tail lights. The Tail lights on a Commodore are the same as Hornet. Same in 48-51 except the red top ornament on the 50-51. There are some internal differences in the light, but outwardly they are the same.Some use two screws to hold the glass in some use two. I have never seen a Two door sedan Commodore or Hornet in 48-53. Coupes, Converts and four doors..Yes. . If you wanted a two door sedan you had to buy a Super or Pacemaker(wasp). This would make a very clean looking car. I never did like the side molding on the 51's anyway! The porkchops cost an arm and a leg!.The seller didn't reply to my question of the number on the right door pillar. This car would have had the 232 Wide block. Add a 308 with OD and have a sweet car.
This discussion has been closed.