Twin H Power Installation

Unknown
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Well, I've got (almost) all the parts needed to
upgrade my Super 6 to Twin H. Manifold, 2 carbs, etc.
So, how do I do this? There is probably a certain
sequence I need to torque the bolts (like on a head),
and a torque value, etc.

Please advise. Drop a note to cheis@chrishull.com
Pics of the restoration are at http://zorak.chrishull.com/hudson/

Thanks;
-Chris

Comments

• Correction chris@chrishull.com
    Thanks

-Chris

The only missing bits are linkage, which I think I
    can make myself.
  • Chris:

Our '54 Hornet came with Twin-H so I haven't done this installation. However, there's a very complete set of instructions in the '48-'52 Shop Manual. You can get one through the club store or maybe you can get a reprint of the instructions. Good luck and have a Happy 4th!

Tim in WI.
  • Hi Chris:

Nice Car!

Having a shop manual will surely assist you. I have a few additional pieces of information for you....

My Hudson Step-down Site provides you with the information needed to tune the twin H once it is installed ... check this URL Ken Cates' Hudson Step-down Restoration Page

I have posted a Twin H linkage diagram at this URL:
    web page

[image]http://members.aol.com/stepdown53/images/TwinHlinkage.jpeg[/image]

Note that the linkage bolts to the engine using the head bolts. So you will be required to remove and replace them. Making the linkage maybe an option, but the ability to set the mechanical distance on each carb is essential to the proper action of the twin H. If you are persistent and advertise for the linkage it will show up sooner or later. Learn to recognizee the components so you can ID them at swapmeets.

Installation of the Twin H on a long wheel base car basically follows the following sequence.

1. Disconnect the negative terminal.

2. Remove the aircleaner and disconnect and cap the gas line to the carburetor.

3. Disconnect the linkage from the carburetor and remove the carb from the manifold.

4. The carburetor may have gasoline in the bowl, so be careful where you place it and drain the gas properly before storage.

5. To make the job easier remove the right tire and inner fender panel.

6. Remove all the nuts holding the intake and exhaust manifold to the engine. (The manifold is mounted over studs and held in place with an X shaped metal retainer and nut) Remove as a unit, do not disassemble the manifolds from one another. Be sure to remove the buts from the exhaust pipe to manifold interface.

7. To make step 5 easier to accomplish, spray all the bolts with a rust dissolving catalysts the day before.

8. Remove the manifold from the engine.

9. Clean the surface on the engine block. Make sure there is no residual gasket pieces. Replace the manifold gaskets with new gaskets on the studs.

10. Assure your manifolds are good ... Inspect them carefully for cracks ... disassembly of the three parts is essential along with complete cleaning to inspect for cracks. Repair or replace as needed. If you desire paint the manifolds with hi temp paints.

11. Chase all stud threads with a proper tread cleaner.

12 Inspect or replace all the nuts and definitely replace the PAL nuts (sheet metal type nuts used to keep the prime nuts in place due to the heat and cooling retraction of the manifold).

13. Install your manifold and torque according to the mechanical assembly procedures.

14. Install the carburetors, fuel lines and linkage.

15. Make sure that each carb has a heat deflector plate below the carb with the appropriate number of heat resistant gaskets ... approximate numbers... 5 below, heat shield 5 above. I have seen all different numbers ... ten is what I successfully use.

16. Reconnect the battery, and spin the engine to check for fuel leaks. Repair as needed.

17. I am assuming the carbs are properly rebuilt and all the installation is A, OK ... go on to the adjustments called out on my WEB PAGE ... and enjoy your TWIN H equipped HORNET SUPER 6!

Good Luck

Ken Cates
    AKA - Heart O Texas

53HAUL.gif
This discussion has been closed.