Top Chop??

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I have a 52 Hudson Pacemaker 2-dr. coupe. I would like to rat rod it by chopping the top. The rear roof pillar poses a problem by being two different dimensions after the three inch removal. Does anyone have specific how-to tips they would care to share? THANKS!!!! JAK

Comments

• You should talk with few051, I think thats how its spelled (he's also posted on the lead sled forum). He has a great looking chop on his ride. I have a 50 Pacemaker Club Coupe, but no budget for a chop right now, though I wish I did! Good luck with yours and post or email me pics if you can.

Jay :-)
  • Jak wrote:
    I have a 52 Hudson Pacemaker 2-dr. coupe. I would like to rat rod it by chopping the top. The rear roof pillar poses a problem by being two different dimensions after the three inch removal. Does anyone have specific how-to tips they would care to share? THANKS!!!! JAK

Jak, do you have pics of your ride? You don't see too many 2 doors out there.

And Ron, the Pacemaker you sold was a beauty!

Jay "its a dry heat!"
  • Ron, just wanted to take the moment to welcome you to the forum. Do you still have a Hudson? Love the chopped cars, my current Kustom In Progress is a 1955 Ford Sedan Delivery chopped 3 1/2 inches. Your advice is on the money, Just Do It!!
  • You know I've read a few articles on chops but have never really seen how they determine where and how to cut the glass. ron50j, maybe you can shed some light on this?

Jay
  • jsrail wrote:
    You know I've read a few articles on chops but have never really seen how they determine where and how to cut the glass. ron50j, maybe you can shed some light on this?

Jay

Jay-

The majority of the time, when curved BACK or FRONT glass is utilized in the car, most guys find it easier to "lay down" the glass, i.e., leave it stock heigth and increase the opening to fit the original glass. In the front, usually the posts are "laid back". In the back, the top of the opening is increased, the posts are "laid forward". But, truth be told, with laminated glass, it is not difficult to cut down to size. Unfortunately, if you take X" out of the middle of your chop, you would technically have to take the same X" out of the middle of the glass, which is not feasible. Therefore, you would need to cut the glass X" out of the top or bottom and re-curve the glass in a kiln, heated up to match a pre-made form that fit your new opening. Not too difficult, but definately involved. I've never chopped anything that actually had curved glass, although I've done some straight ones, which is obviously much easier. I'm sure someone here could fill you in more, or you could check out hotrodders.com and do a search. There is bound to be a thread there covering that very aspect.

Russell
  • The rear window is always the most troublesome. Most utilize the original rear window frame and lay it forward as Russell said. However, it certainly is possible to put another rear window in from another make/model that will fit the curvature of the top better. I've seen windshields put in for a rear window to make the "flow" better. It is next to impossible to "cut" a rear window as it's designed to shatter into little itty bitty pieces when broken. I have heard of sandblasting to fit but have no experience in it.
  • Ron, you're absolutely right. I sunk the windshield on my '55 Ford too. Just too many curves for me and I certainly couldn't afford 3-4 windshields at $500 a pop! I also encourage people to try it!
  • Do you guys have some pics showing how you sunk them?

Jay
  • My '55 is still in Reno, where I came from about a year ago. I haven't quite solved the problem with the rear glass yet as the sedan deliveries had a one piece rear window in the single door on the back. I put '56 Dodge quarter panels on it and really changed the feel of the car. No, it doesn't look like a Dodge either. Sorry Jay, I don't have any closeups of the windshield work.
This discussion has been closed.