Rear end for a 46 Hudson??

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I have a 46 hudson super six and am thinking about putting in a 350 Chevy at some future time. Will the current rear end hold up or do I have to change that as well??. I am in the novice class of car building so any general opions are welcomed.... thanks JR

Comments

• rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    I have a 46 hudson super six and am thinking about putting in a 350 Chevy at some future time. Will the current rear end hold up or do I have to change that as well??. I am in the novice class of car building so any general opions are welcomed.... thanks JR
    JR - mostly depends on your plans for the car, if you are going to baby it around town and in parades then the almost 60 year old rear end will probably be ok.

But if you are making it a daily driver, have a lead foot or want to race it you have to remember that at a minimum with a GM350 you are going to double possibly triple the horsepower of the original setup.

http://www.fatmanfab.com

I pulled this neat little chart from the FatMan Fab co. that lists some rear axle widths from newer model vehicles (thanks to jsrail for finding this!:) ). So there is a chance depending on your axle width that you can put one of these in without having it narrowed.
    FatRear.jpg
This discussion has been closed.