'40 sport custom

StillOutThere
StillOutThere Expert Adviser
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Does anyone here have contact with the W J Fields family of Washington state who own(ed) this '40 Hudson sport custom as recently as 2004? Thanks.

Comments

• Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Check your post below in the general forum.
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    I HAD THIS EMAILED TO ME TO DAY I THOUGHT THIS MIGHT LET SOME LIGHT IN ON THE CAR

In 1952, when Walter J. Fields, and a couple of his friends saw the magazine, they decided to build one just like it. Walter, Clarence Hayes and Elmer (Humpy) Camel did most of the work. They worked in a small garage located behind the White Steamer (a local restaurant owned by my father) and probably spent the better part of two years completing the conversion.

They started with a 1940 Hudson and cut and fit until it resembled the car shown in the Motor Trend pictures. The paint and upholstery were also as shown. At a later time, a 1957 Chevrolet truck engine and transmission was installed and still later a 1972 Buick rear end was installed.

Walter drove the car until the mid 1960’s when he sold it to Bob Hightower. Bob is the one who changed the engine and transmission. Bob sold the car to Don Hinkle in July 1974 and he owned it until December 1997. During much of the time that Don owned it, he kept it parked and did not drive it. Don sold the car to Louis Doyle in December 1997 and he owned it till January 2002. Louie is the one that installed the newer rear end and also put in a new battery and tires. In January 2002, W. James Fields bought it and returned it to the Fields family from which it started. The mileage at the time of purchase was 31,350.

Since then, the body has been completely restored and repainted and all of the upholstery has been replaced. The car now looks as good as it did when originally finished in the early 1950’s. Except for replacing the bench seat with bucket seats and replacing the steering column and steering wheel, the car looks very much the same as the original picture in Motor Trend. The paint color is exactly the same and the upholstery is a slightly different shade."
This discussion has been closed.