radiator cap

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
I am looking for a radiator cap, more than 7 psi.,. I need to replace the radiator neck, where the cap attaches, with a neck that will accept the higher preseure cap. The high pressure caps I have found will not seat properly. Thanks

Comments

• onerare39
    onerare39 Expert Adviser, Member
    Don't know if there is a question there or not, but you might want to go to a radiator shop to see if they can locate a higher pressure cap for that style neck. Auto parts stores don't always carry everything available.

Why do you need a higher pressure cap?

John
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    Speeking of radiator caps. I purchase a new 7 lb. cap recently. Just for curiocity, I took it to where my son works as a mechanic and asked him to test it to see if it was holding 7 lbs. The test showed it was only holding 5 1/2 lbs.

Since my 52 Hornet has not come close to hot I don't see it becoming a problem. I'll know when the 100+ degree summer heat arives how well it performs. I've only had the car since last Oct. and cooler weather.

What lb. cap are you wanting to use? Can the original radiator as well as the heater core hold up to the higher pressure?

The radiator shop that changes the kneck can supply you with the right cap to fit. He can also advise you if the radiator is good enough for the higher pressure.

Is your Commodor a 40's or 50's car?

Have a good day.
    Lee O'Dell
  • RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    Lee are you going to SanDiego? I am bringing a couple of caps with me, one is 4lbs and the other is 7lb( with red presure release lever). The Stant cap for 1950 Caddy fits well and is 13lb but AC will not, due to the lock tabs are too wide to fit in the McCord neck. Hold off if you can. 13 lb is pushing the envelope on a 60 year old core and solder.Also, talk to Walt and others re bypass and modern thermostats. I dont have a problem with engine temp in Tucson and a 7 lb cap. Ron
  • RonS
    RonS Senior Contributor
    Sorry commodore I meant you,not Lee
This discussion has been closed.