Martz Roadster 1939 Hudson Convertible Brougham

2»

Comments

• oldhudsons
    oldhudsons Senior Contributor
    Jim et al - some years ago an HET member in So. Calif. got all "juiced up" about getting a Martz. He found out Albright had one & he subsequently "wheeled & dealed" to buy it. It was in rather sorry condition BUT he was so enthused didn't bother to look at it in detail. Once he dragged it home, to make a long story short, it was ascertained that that Martz had been built on a STUDEBAKER frame (& had a Stude. engine in it)!
    I'm not sure if he got his $ back from Bill or not.
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    Last time I spoke with him he still had it.
  • ESSX28-1
    ESSX28-1 Senior Contributor
    51hornetA wrote:

Thanks for the 'heads up'!! I've been curious to see how they came about especially since all the discussion on the forum.
  • essexcoupe3131
    essexcoupe3131 Senior Contributor
    ESSX28-1 wrote:
    51hornetA wrote:

Thanks for the 'heads up'!! I've been curious to see how they came about especially since all the discussion on the forum.

I can see your juices flowing David,
    I sure I have enough bits to make 1 of them LOL
    Mike
  • PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    edited July 2011
    I HAD A GOOD DAY TODAY THE HEADLIGHT BUCKETS WERE REALY IN BAD SHAPE SO I TOOK A BALLOON AND BLEW IT UP IN SIDE OF THE BUCKET THIS IS AFTER I CLEANED IT UP AND COATED IT WITH POR15 THEN I TOOK JBWELD AND COATED THE OUTSIDE OF THE BUCKET AND THE OUT SIDE OF THE BALLOON I DID THIS 2 TIMES AFTER THEY GOT HARD I POPED THE BALLOON THEY ARE JUST GREAT NOW I DON'T NEED NEW ONES NOW THERE ALL PAINTED AND READY TO INSTALL
  • PAULARGETYPE
    edited July 2011
    NOW THE OTHER WORK I DID TODAY WAS CHECK OUT ALL RUST ON THE RIGHT SIDE DOOR WAY ROCKER PANNEL AREA I CUT THE DOOR SKIN IN HALF ONLY KEEPING THE UPPER GOOD PART CLEANED UP ALL THE OTHER MEDAL AND TOOK GOOD MEASUREMENTS THE OLD DOORS ARE ALL HACKED UP FROM WHEN THEY DID THE CAR AND WHAT THEY DIDN'T HACK UP THE REAST IS ALL BUT GONE FROM RUST

I ALSO TOOK SOME SHOTS FROM THE INSIDE LOOKING OUT VERY INTERSTING AS YOU CAN SEE THERE ALL OF THE DRIVERS SIDE I HAVE ALOT OF PATCH OR REPLACING TO DO THE TRUNK FOOR IS ALL GONE BUT IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS CUT OUT AT SOME TIME ALSO WHAT IS STRANGE IS THE CLUTCH PEDAL AND LINKAGE IS STILL IN THE CAR I WAS TOLD THE CAR HAD A CHEVY POWERGLIDE IN IT FOR YEARS ALSO STRANGE IS IS THE ORIGNAL HUDSON 3SPEED STICK TRANS SIDE SUPPORTS ARE STILL ON THE CAR THIS GETS MORE INTERSTING EVERY DAY I WORK ON THE CAR JUST WHAT WILL I FIND TOMORROW
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited July 2011
    Paul,
    Appears those trans side 'Brkts' may have been bent away to clear the old donor trans. I usually 'chop saw' that original crossmember off to relocate for the Automatic. Since Hydro Mounts are rare, I bolt 2 pcs 3/16" angle Iron down to the crossmember, then cut hard rubber 1" blocks for mounts (from an old forklift). I mount Turbo 350 Trans behind my Hornet's this way too rather than utilizing the single rear mount.Think 12V to utilze some trick power actuators, etc. Ive found 6V starters hold up well as long not cranked for long period. (If wear out can be rewired 12v). Adapting to MOPAR Starter is a posibilty too.

Looks like your really making huge leaps forward on your Project. Keep up the good work.
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    This is a great project! Please keep the updates coming. It's already got me day dreaming about my next custom.

hmm? Now I just need some one to fund it.:)

Oh! Have you figured out the doors yet?
  • hudsontech
    hudsontech Senior Contributor
    Keep the good work going Paul - you are an inspiration to a lot of Hudson people who may be looking at their car and wondering if they can bring it back. Seeing what you are doing, what you are working with, may just give somebody on the edge of giving up that little push necessary to take the first steps.

Hudsonly,
    Alex Burr
    Memphis, TN
  • Ol racer
    Ol racer Senior Contributor
    edited July 2011
    Paul,
    Here is what I was going to tell you last nite. I converted my Tear Drop's to sealed Beams with a Park/turn Signal socket inside.(pictured). Since you alreasy have '39 Tear Drop headlites freshly silvered I discovered 12V original replacement bulbs and I may go that route myself....
    Additionally, later you may want to consider the following updates that I posted on Forum earlier....$40 Electric wipers, Torino Dual master cyl, etc.....
  • PAULARGETYPE
    edited July 2011
    HERE IS WHAT I GOT DONE TODAY I CUT OUT ALL THE RUSTED UP METAL ON THE RIGHT SIDE DOOR WAY AND MADE UP NEW PANNEL TO REPLACE IT IT'S NOT DONE BUT I GOT IT NEARLY IN PLACE AND ALMOST READY TO WELD IN

I'M LOOKING FOR A TRANSMISSION COVER FOR A 37/8/9 HUDSON I DO NOT HAVE ONE CAN ANY ONE HELP :-)
  • bent metal
    That looks really good! Is the door going to overlap the entire area, like a skirted type door? Or don't you know yet?:)
  • PAULARGETYPE
    I HATE TO SAY I'M NOT SURE YET BUT THATS WHAT I'M THINKING I HAVE TO GET THE DONER DOORS OFF THE OTHER CAR I HAVE TO GET THE BODY RENFORCED CROSS WAYS AND I'M THINKING FROM THE TOP OF THE WINDSHIELD TO THE REAR BODY BEHIND THE DOOR SO IT DOESN'T RACK ON ME WHEN I CUT THE TOPS OFF THE OLD DOOR OPENINGS I'M THINKING RENIFORCEING 2 WAYS STRAIGHT BACK TO FRONT AND THEN A X CROSS SIDE TO SIDE I WILL ALREADY HAVE THE BOTTOM ALL WELDED IN AND THE FLOORS PATCHED UP
  • bent metal
    How about skirts with louvers and a visor with louvers?!:)
  • PAULARGETYPE
    I GOT THE 4 NEW FLOOR PANS THIS WEEK AND GOT THEM SITTING IN THE CAR THEY ARE REAL CLOSE BUT WILL NEED SOME CUTTING AND FITTING I GOT BOTH FRONT FLOOR PANNELS AND BOTH REAR PANNELS ALSO THEY ARE ALOT LIKE THE ORIGNAL FLOOR PANS THEY ALSO OFFER THE TRUNK FLOOR PAN AS 1 PANNEL IT WAS AROUND $200 + SHIPPING SO I'LL HOLD OFF ON THAT TILL I'M READY FOR IT IT WILL TAKE ME A FEW WEEKS TO GET WHAT I HAVE ALL WELDED IN I DIDN'T BUY THEM OFF OF EBAY I CALLED DIRECT AND IT SAVED ME $20 ON THE PANNELS $5 EACH AND ONLY $21 SHIPPING CHARGE FOR ALL 4 IN 1 BOX PHOTOS TO COME LATER IN WEEK
  • PAULARGETYPE
    edited August 2011
    I'm looking for one also so if you find one and have them made please don't forget me I THINK 40 IS ALSO THE SAME BUT I'M NOT SURE NOW IS THE 112 THE SAME AS THE 118'' WHEEL BASE CARS I KNOW ON MY 1950 PACEMAKER IT WAS DIFFERENT THAN THE BIGGER CARS
  • Browniepetersen
    Paul, Have not had an update on your progress for sometime. How is it going?
    Brownie
  • Browniepetersen
    Paul, you have been quiet for quite awhile now. How is the progress going? Will it be ready for the national? Have you had it out on the road yet?
  • Has any progress been made?
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    Rick, Paul-

I'd be contacting bentmetal on those tranny tunnels, if you want them like the originals. With a good picture like this, and some measurements, he can work wonders.
  • Paul
    let me know if a can help with any pics or messurements from an original 1939 hudson country club 8 convertible brougham as i have one sitting in my shed, Loving the pics and resto keep it coming. Brownie it went to a good home-never to be lost.

Any one found me the two front small grills for my 39 yet....last piece of the puzzle.
    Jamie
  • bent metal
    I'm ready for an update. :)
  • PAULARGETYPE
    OK I'M WORKING AT A SLOW PACE JUST TO MANY OTHER THINGS ONMY PLATE AT THIS TIME BUT THE ROADSTER WILL BE IN FRENCH LICK DONE I GESS I COULD SHOW JUST A FEW SHOTS I WILL UP DATE SOME PHOTS NEXT WEEK
  • Browniepetersen
    Thanks Paul, I am waiting with great anticipation. She is like a child that I adopted out and I still care about her.... (That sounds kinda sappy?)
  • PAULARGETYPE
    NOT SAPPY AT ALL BROWNIE I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL OUR CARS ARE LIKE MY KIDS I'VE ONLY SOLD A FEW CARS IN MY LIFE AND KNOW WHERE THERE AT TO THIS DAY
  • bent metal
    Ok, I'm ready for an update.  Again.  Don't mean to bug you Paul.  :)  Oh, and how about some pictures too?
This discussion has been closed.