Nice Chop Job

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Nice looking chop job on this Hud from EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hudson-Rat-Custom-No-Reserve-merc-sled-/170638805968?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item27badd8bd0

It says there is no glass for the doore. I would imagine that is gonna be the tricky part after chopping the roofline.

Comments

• GrimGreaser
    GrimGreaser Senior Contributor
    That is a nice looking car, I especially like that it has a Chevy 235 six. Small block Chevy's are a dime a dozen... They've gotten boring to me.

Show a little creativity boys and girls!
  • TOM-WA-
    TOM-WA- Senior Contributor
    QUESTION COMES TO MIND....CHOP A STEPDOWN??
  • Lee ODell
    Lee ODell Senior Contributor
    That is a nice looking car, I especially like that it has a Chevy 235 six. Small block Chevy's are a dime a dozen... They've gotten boring to me.

I will take a dozen GrimGreaser! Where do I send the dime?

Lee O'Dell
  • MikeWA
    MikeWA Senior Contributor
    Looks good to me- I like the "hardtop chops" (ala Hirohato Merc and Matranga Merc). As to glass, most guys don't even bother with it on cars like that- virtually impossible to make a custom hardtop that won't leak, unless you started with a hardtop (and he didn't). Just don't go out in the rain!

My biggest question is why a Chev 6? It'll be pretty lame. If you're not going to put in a fire-breathing big block, why not a 308?
  • Browniepetersen
    Browniepetersen Senior Contributor
    edited May 2011
    Mike (WA) wrote:
    Looks good to me- I like the "hardtop chops" (ala Hirohato Merc and Matranga Merc). As to glass, most guys don't even bother with it on cars like that- virtually impossible to make a custom hardtop that won't leak, unless you started with a hardtop (and he didn't). Just don't go out in the rain!

My biggest question is why a Chev 6? It'll be pretty lame. If you're not going to put in a fire-breathing big block, why not a 308?

Mike,
    This looks like a fun project to take on. I would need to change a few things and see a few more photo's but it could work for me. You mention that it was not a hard top? Was it a brougham or a sedan?

Chevy six would not be my first choice but as I recall Press has a stepdown with a dodge slant six and he likes it alot.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2011
    Mike (WA) wrote:

Mike... interesting coincidence(s)the following is a picture of a want-a-be Hudson with a custom removable hardtop. As some will remember Bill Albright had a Hudson with a removable top... aka Carson... all in the same vein. The car on eBay appears to be a 2 door sedan with the center pillar removed?

• GrimGreaser
    edited May 2011
    Lee ODell wrote:

I will take a dozen GrimGreaser! Where do I send the dime?

Lee O'Dell

I will forward your message to my Nigerian Holding Company, please provide all the pertinant information so your account can be [strike]plundered[/strike] verified. Your engines will be deliverd sometime later, please leave your doors and windows unlocked to allow access for our [strike]burgulars[/strike] deliverymen.

Thank you.

:)
  • Browniepetersen
    edited May 2011

Hi Grim, thought I would send you a photo of my car with a 235 six. By the way, it is all factory original and drives like a dream.....
  • GrimGreaser
    Awesome Brownie. My neighbor across the street from me has a all-original (well kept, but not pristine mind you) Camaro with a 235 six. Its very cool.
  • MikeWA
    edited May 2011

Mike,
    This looks like a fun project to take on. I would need to change a few things and see a few more photo's but it could work for me. You mention that it was not a hard top? Was it a brougham or a sedan?

Appears to have been a brougham, by the roof and trunk line. Could have been a sedan, I suppose- but would have had to do major work- elimnate back doors, lengthen front doors, etc.

I think it has great lines. Here's another one that I like.
  • Browniepetersen
    That is a nice ride Mike. By the way, the one on EBay has passed my budget allocation. I guess someone else gets to have the fun with this one...
  • MikeWA
    I know what you mean.

I have a negative budget allocation right now- if I can sell a couple tractors and a Model A, I'll have enough $$ to re-roof my house. The fun never stops.
  • Browniepetersen
    By the way. The owner sent me a note and said that the car started as a 8 cyl sedan. Makes it even more impressive what he had done to it...
This discussion has been closed.