Wood's '49 Super Six Build: A tale of two Hudsons!

Unknown
edited November -1 in Street Rods
Back to the drawing board!

It's been a few months since I posted any updates on my '50 Pacemaker project, and after a series of events (the list is long) I decided to start at the beginning. It's pretty fitting, since that's where I am on my project!

A little Background

Quickly... I purchased a '50 Pacemaker (which is probably the best $1200 I've ever spent in my lifetime!) sight unseen, knowing full well that she needed a LOT of work. Body and frame are really solid, with a little surface rust. No engine, trans, but most of everything else was there... and she rolled. How could I go wrong! And so it began...

The '50 that was a '49

She shows up on my doorstep, and then it really sunk in... she needed a LOT of work! Not knowing much about Hudsons, besides the fact that I think they're one of the best looking cars ever to be manufactured, I dove in head first learning as much as possible as quickly as possible...

First thing I find out, she's a '49 Super Six! I really can't say enough good things about her, but I really started to feel I was in over my head. I found as many sites as possible (gotta love the fellas on Classiccar.com!), and touch base with those that really know what I'm going to be dealing with for the next year or so.

First Things First

After chatting with quite a few of you here that were willing to share some of your wisdom (free of charge, even!), I felt better and realized there are enough generous people out there willing to help out a "newbee" that wants to do things right.

I decided to clean the "cr@p" out of the car, remove all the rotted interior possible, salvage what I could, and get a good plan of attack going. Nothing bothers me more than seeing a mess, and after a quick introduction to POR 15 and Silver Bullet, I moved on with the later and started to clean her out.

Here are a few from the beginning:

Stay tuned... more to come!

Comments

• Part Two

After spending a good week removing everything that was rotted, moldy, or otherwise just plain unusable, I came the the conclusion that I really had a good solid set of bones. I lifted her up and got under the car, and everything that I found was really solid with only a few minor rust thru areas: front floorboards both have a small area of rust, and a small area in the trunk where the tank has pulled down and cracked the trunk pan.

The doors, body, frame, all seemed to have weathered the storm pretty well over the past 60+ years, and there are only a few minimal dents and bangs that can be straightened out in time.

My Love for Silver Bullet

Quite a few searches for stopping rust and re-coating led me to POR 15 and Rust Bullet. I decided to opt for the RB, and instantly fell in love! I sanded and cleaned a few small areas to test out, saw the results, and instantly placed an order for a 6-pack. Since I cleaned most of her out, I started with a few areas: Front Seat, Trunk, and Interior Roof. I liked the results, to say the least!

I've been really happy with the results, and would love to hear back if I'm either (a) doing it right, or (b) doing it all wrong!

Seeing the drastic change with just some rust killer has really been a high-point in the whole project. I could see what the future was going to bring, and happy to be moving down the slow progress road.

I still had some major concerns, such as finding an engine/trans, etc., but that was soon to change!

Stay tuned... more to come! Chapter 2: The Commodore
  • bent metal
    bent metal Senior Contributor
    Looks nice. I've never used the "Rust Bullet", is it spray or brush on? Why do you like it so much?

Great presentation by the way!
  • lsfirth
    lsfirth Expert Adviser
    Bravo!!! Lookin' Great!! definitely looks like some solid bones!!

Excellent documentation!
  • rambos_ride
    rambos_ride Senior Contributor
    Keep in mind any of these products are Rust-Inhibitors..not rust killers...big distinction.

I've used POR15 in the past, but don't like it because it doesnt have UV protectants in it and you can't leave it as a topcoat.

I'm a fan of Eastwoods Rust Inhibitor and haven't had any experience with Silver Bullet.

But, regardless of product - unless the rust is removed it will eventually come back and/or you'll lose some adhesion of the substrate to the metal or rust as it is.

Don't get me wrong...well worth the effort and does slow down the rusting process. Just want to warn you that these coatings are not a cure-all.
  • Great read! Always interested in others projects keep it goingB)
  • Thanks for the info! I've been taking it down to metal and coating the best I can. The info says:

"distinctive formulation allows the first coat to penetrate the rusted areas dehydrating the rust, causing it to become a compact solid again, which intertwines itself in the resin matrix becoming a permanent part of the coating. The second and subsequent coats of Rust Bullet create an impermeable surface. Unlike other steel coatings or metal coatings, Rust Bullet is a single component coating, which means there is no need for activators or a catalyst" and it's not UV sensitive.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on it, but I do like the way it has applied. I just couldn't imagine throwing something over rust and hoping it was going to make it new. my '49 is really solid and has minimal rust, just a light amount on the surface, so I feel pretty lucky already.

Overall, I figured it's got to be better than what the Hudson been exposed to over the past 30-40 years, and I'd like to keep her around for as long as possible.

I did pick up some internal frame rust inhibitor that I'm planning on using as well. The video they have on their site seems pretty informative and thought it would help in the long run.

I'm always looking for good "tried and true" advice, and really appreciate your insight!!! And if you have any other things you've tried, I'd love to know more.

Thanks again...
  • Chapter Two: The Commodore

Shortly after I started cleaning out the '49 Super Six and priming some of the areas, I decided I wanted to get some new/used parts coming in so I could have them ready when I started to put her together. I made a list, and thought this would be my plan of attack:

* Clean and Strip (get her down to her bones)
    * Prep (get her sealed and ready for new parts)
    * Suspension
    * Brakes
    * Wiring Harness (Switching to 12V is an option)
    * Engine & Trans
    * Interior
    * Exterior

Since my first thought was to get her suspension back top-notch, and still keep her somewhat original, I started looking for new replacement parts (shock, springs, front end rebuild kits) and hit a goldmine with Kantner. I ordered pretty much everything to rebuild the front end. Still debating on their Disc Brake conversion kit, so I'm going to keep it stock until she's up and running.

It was also around this time that I started searching for an engine & trans. Reached out to a lot of people I was starting to meet online, and everyone was willing to give me some advice, insight into my Hud, and a few pointed me to others for parts. I joined the HET Club, and various other sites with information on repairs, maintenance, restoring cars, and anything that might help me out. I spent a good deal of time as a kid chasing wrenches for my pops in his garage, so (besides rebuilding a engine or such, or fabrication) I felt pretty confident that I could just about any work needed.

It was also about this time that I ran across the owner of a '50 Commodore, which was up for sale. He said she was a runner, had a ton of recent body work completed, and probably a better "starter project" for me. I instantly fell in love with her, even though we never met in person!

[attachment:1]Hud1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:2]Hud1 Engine.JPG[/attachment]

She looked great in the pictures, and ran... what more could a guy ask for!

Judgment Day & Shattered Dreams

After some negotiating, we settled on a trade of sorts, with me throwing in some cash. I shipped my car up, and back came the '50 Commodore. (Note to self: never buy a car unseen... never!) Now I'm not going to go into details, and I'm definitely not going to throw anyone under the bus, but what I really thought I was getting and what arrived were two different ideas all together!

If you look a her from a distance, you would say she's a pretty nice looking Hudson. The engine is pretty clean, and it runs! She doesn't move on her own (that's another story for another time), but there's a trans there waiting to be addressed.

Problem being, when you get close... and drop a knee, well, she's seen some pretty rough times in her past.

My heart sank when I found most of her frame is gone. Both sides from the front wheel to the rear, the frame is rusted through and well beyond my ability to put her back together again:

[attachment:3]IMG_3064.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:4]IMG_3065.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:5]IMG_3070.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:6]IMG_3074.JPG[/attachment]

There may be a way to save her, but it's going to be by someone that knows what they're doing and has the time and energy!

The Frame was bad, so are the doors (both lower quarters and inner/outer pannels), floors, trunk, and she's been hit in the rear. There's a lot of body filler on almost the whole car, so whoever did the work did a nice job of covering up every bad spot on her. Like I said, from a distance she looks pretty good!

After the first 24 hours of kicking myself and walking down the "pity path", I decided there's still a lot of good on the Commodore... mostly the nice running 262 sitting under the hood!

It was meant to be!

Lucky for me, my girlfriend is truly and angle and let's me do just about anything I want (within reason, of course!), and so I made an "Executive Decision"...

...Buy back my '49!

I had some mixed feelings when I first gave her up, and as soon as I made up my mind and had her shipped back, the anxiety and angst that I was feeling totally left me and I smiled once again. That '49 and I started a journey 5 months ago, and looks like we're going to finish it strong.

Two to One

Now, I hope I don't "PO" a lot of the great people who've stopped in to read this, and those that have helped me along the way, but the new plan is to use what I can from the '50 to save the '49. I've crossed the $15,000 mark for investing in these two, and all the parts (I know... I could have bought a really nice runner for that much), but I've spent more on worse and never learned a thing, so this one's teaching me a thing or two along the way and keeps me out of trouble.

I've put the Commodore in the garage until the times right, and have dove completely back into the Super Six.

The front end is pretty much clean at this point, and I'm starting to clean the entire under carriage from tip to toe. I've pulled the brake lines, fuel line, fuel tank, and just about anything else out of my way to get in there and sand her down. I'd love to have one of those rotisserie units, but unless Santa comes early, I'll be spending a lot of time underneath!

[attachment:7]P1030345.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:8]P1030351.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:9]P1030623.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:10]P1030293.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:11]P1030630.JPG[/attachment]

So that's where she stands today. I'll keep posting as I make some progress, and would love to hear if I'm moving along in the right direction.

My pops always told me... "Don't be afraid to ask a stupid question. Half time they're not stupid at all" so I guess I have a 50/50 chance!

[attachment:12]HudArt.JPG[/attachment]
  • Chapter Two: The Commodore

Shortly after I started cleaning out the '49 Super Six and priming some of the areas, I decided I wanted to get some new/used parts coming in so I could have them ready when I started to put her together. I made a list, and thought this would be my plan of attack:

* Clean and Strip (get her down to her bones)
    * Prep (get her sealed and ready for new parts)
    * Suspension
    * Brakes
    * Wiring Harness (Switching to 12V is an option)
    * Engine & Trans
    * Interior
    * Exterior

Since my first thought was to get her suspension back top-notch, and still keep her somewhat original, I started looking for new replacement parts (shock, springs, front end rebuild kits) and hit a goldmine with Kantner. I ordered pretty much everything to rebuild the front end. Still debating on their Disc Brake conversion kit, so I'm going to keep it stock until she's up and running.

It was also around this time that I started searching for an engine & trans. Reached out to a lot of people I was starting to meet online, and everyone was willing to give me some advice, insight into my Hud, and a few pointed me to others for parts. I joined the HET Club, and various other sites with information on repairs, maintenance, restoring cars, and anything that might help me out. I spent a good deal of time as a kid chasing wrenches for my pops in his garage, so (besides rebuilding a engine or such, or fabrication) I felt pretty confident that I could just about any work needed.

It was also about this time that I ran across the owner of a '50 Commodore, which was up for sale. He said she was a runner, had a ton of recent body work completed, and probably a better "starter project" for me. I instantly fell in love with her, even though we never met in person!

She looked great in the pictures, and ran... what more could a guy ask for!

Judgment Day & Shattered Dreams

After some negotiating, we settled on a trade of sorts, with me throwing in some cash. I shipped my car up, and back came the '50 Commodore. (Note to self: never buy a car unseen... never!) Now I'm not going to go into details, and I'm definitely not going to throw anyone under the bus, but what I really thought I was getting and what arrived were two different ideas all together!

If you look a her from a distance, you would say she's a pretty nice looking Hudson. The engine is pretty clean, and it runs! She doesn't move on her own (that's another story for another time), but there's a trans there waiting to be addressed.

Problem being, when you get close... and drop a knee, well, she's seen some pretty rough times in her past.

My heart sank when I found most of her frame is gone. Both sides from the front wheel to the rear, the frame is rusted through and well beyond my ability to put her back together again:

There may be a way to save her, but it's going to be by someone that knows what they're doing and has the time and energy!

To Be Continued....
  • The Commodore, continued...

The Frame was bad, so are the doors (both lower quarters and inner/outer pannels), floors, trunk, and she's been hit in the rear. There's a lot of body filler on almost the whole car, so whoever did the work did a nice job of covering up every bad spot on her. Like I said, from a distance she looks pretty good!

After the first 24 hours of kicking myself and walking down the "pity path", I decided there's still a lot of good on the Commodore... mostly the nice running 262 sitting under the hood!

It was meant to be!

Lucky for me, my girlfriend is truly and angle and let's me do just about anything I want (within reason, of course!), and so I made an "Executive Decision"...

...Buy back my '49!

I had some mixed feelings when I first gave her up, and as soon as I made up my mind and had her shipped back, the anxiety and angst that I was feeling totally left me and I smiled once again. That '49 and I started a journey 5 months ago, and looks like we're going to finish it strong.

Two to One

Now, I hope I don't "PO" a lot of the great people who've stopped in to read this, and those that have helped me along the way, but the new plan is to use what I can from the '50 to save the '49. I've crossed the $15,000 mark for investing in these two, and all the parts (I know... I could have bought a really nice runner for that much), but I've spent more on worse and never learned a thing, so this one's teaching me a thing or two along the way and keeps me out of trouble.

I've put the Commodore in the garage until the times right, and have dove completely back into the Super Six.

The front end is pretty much clean at this point, and I'm starting to clean the entire under carriage from tip to toe. I've pulled the brake lines, fuel line, fuel tank, and just about anything else out of my way to get in there and sand her down. I'd love to have one of those rotisserie units, but unless Santa comes early, I'll be spending a lot of time underneath!

[attachment:1]P1030345.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:2]P1030351.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:3]P1030623.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:4]P1030293.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:5]P1030630.JPG[/attachment]

So that's where she stands today. I'll keep posting as I make some progress, and would love to hear if I'm moving along in the right direction.

My pops always told me... "Don't be afraid to ask a stupid question. Half time they're not stupid at all" so I guess I have a 50/50 chance!

[attachment:6]HudArt.JPG[/attachment]
  • The Commodore, continued...

The Frame was bad, so are the doors (both lower quarters and inner/outer panels), floors, trunk, and she's been hit in the rear. There's a lot of body filler on almost the whole car, so whoever did the work did a nice job of covering up every bad spot on her. Like I said, from a distance she looks pretty good!

It was meant to be!

...Buy back my '49!

Two to One

[attachment:1]P1030445.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:2]P1030351.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:3]P1030623.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:4]P1030293.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment:5]P1030630.JPG[/attachment]

• Unknown
    edited May 2011
    The Commodore, continued...

It was meant to be!

...Buy back my '49!

Two to One

• hoggyrubber
    hoggyrubber Expert Adviser
    i just gotta say, great story and great progress. i am not long into my own hudson experience, but i'm sure your situation echos a lot of folks. while i don't have the sum you do invested i often wonder what it would be like if i just bought a driver. my conclusion is always i would not be happy with that. i want things to work well on my car but i also want to touch, learn and work almost everything i can on it.
    i have a 308 i am just getting buttoned back up to hopefully fire up soon and go in my '53. i have also bought most of the front end parts but have yet to tackle it yet. i have already done the brakes and spent a lot of time fabing engine mounts last year for a inline chevy i put in it. i want to go back with a hudson engine soon as i can. i still have all the wiring to go thru too.
    thanks for posting your tale of two hudsons! i can't wait too see the front end work and how it goes for you. it's also good to hear from other newer hudson owners. best of luck.
  • Thanks Hoggyrubber! I well exceeded my initial funds, so it'll be slow progress from here on out, but looking forward to the path ahead. I feel pretty lucky that I have enough garage space and time on my hands to see her through to the finish line!

Keep in touch. Always looking to see others bringing their Huds back to life. Good luck!!!

Woodie
  • 54SuperWasp
    54SuperWasp Expert Adviser
    Hello Woodie! Very nice story and great pictures. This is the kind of thing I like to read about. As I was reading I was hoping something good happened and it did. Was glad to see you could buy back your 49. Will be in the same process pretty soon I hope. Lot of things to settle before but I already have the car ( 54 Super Wasp) and the parts car ( 53 Super Wasp). Could get the two cars running. And my 54 has already the Twin-H-Power package. Will attend my first regional in june ( Albany N.Y.) and I can't wait to see it all and meet all the Fabulous Hudson Folks. Wish you good luck in your project. Michel ( Québec, Canada).
  • RL Chilton
    RL Chilton Administrator, Member
    You're doing great, Woodie! You made the right decision in buying back the '49. Now you have the (mostly) necessary parts to make one good car out of the two. You had to learn it the hard way, as so many of us do that being able to start with a really good, solid candidate that has sound body panels and a good frame can make all the difference in a pleasant restoration and an ugly relationship, in which lots of good folks run out of gas before too long.

Keep up the good work, thanks for the pics and posts!
This discussion has been closed.