Door Panels

[Deleted User]
edited November -1 in HUDSON
Looking to start on my interior door panels on my 52 hudson hornet 4door...Any suggestions?

Is this something that i should find or make my own???

:kiss:

Comments

• PAULARGETYPE
    PAULARGETYPE Senior Contributor
    WE ALWAYS MAKE OUR OWN BY THE TIME YOU PAY SOME ONE TO CUT THEM OUT AND THEN PAY TO SHIP THEM IT'S CHEAPER JUST TO CUT OUT YOUR OWN IF YOU NEED CLIPS FOR THE DOOR PANNELS I HAVE THEM IN STOCK $.50 EACH
  • Thats Great! I will definitly need those!

Yeah just got an idea on cost to refurb my existing panels...;) What do you use as your base materials?
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Senior Contributor
    The "big box" home improvement stores have an insulating board (4X8)that is the right thickness and it it moisture resistant. Has an aluminum foil like finish. Easy to staple and easy to glue. Cut with a utility knife. My 49 has panels made that way here in VERY humid Florida and going on 8 years old. Done by a local well established upholstery shop that has a long list of satisfied custom and hot rod clients. Save a buck and do it u self.
  • Thats awesome! Thanks so much! Im really excited to get started...Is there padding underneth the upholstery? Mine are trashed i cant even tell.
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    My nephew is doing the interior in our 54 hornet hollywood and he used vapor barrior plastic with strong magnets. cur plastic a little bigger than panel and hold plastic on with strong magnets. then tale a black felt marking pen and draw all holes and however you want the panel to look like. Worked excelant. You can see through the plastic do draw. Ray
  • duncan
    duncan Expert Adviser
    hold plastic on door or quarter panel sorry Ray
  • faustmb
    faustmb Senior Contributor
    I just started on mine today. I used a plastic board, Komatex which is commonly used in the sign industry. A 4x8 sheet was $25, but it is easy to cut with a razor knife and water wont ruin it. Here is a link I found helpful;

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/door-panel-tutorial-145092.html

I'm just puttin in the blank black panels for now, but will cover them later.

Good luck,
    Matt
  • dougson
    dougson Senior Contributor
    Check my Garage photos-I used 1/8" ABS, packing foam, and vinyl, all purchased on-line.
This discussion has been closed.